U.S. Census: Charlotte has fastest growing large city urbanized area

DCMetroRaleigh

Actually the current trend is the city is gaining a little over 40,000 people per year. Now whether that is sustainable is a good question.

I was under the impression that Charlotte had:

731,424 April 2010

751,087 July 2011

771,533 April 2012

Regardless, it looks as if Charlotte's population is accelerating if you consider a gain of 20,000 in roughly 15 months (April 2010 to July 2011) and another gain of 20,000 in roughly 9 months (July 2011 to April 2012).

*if these numbers are close to being correct*

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the annexation answer from the city itself:

The City of Charlotte has had a policy of systematically undertaking annexation every two years, culminating with an effective annexation date of June 30th of the odd-numbered years. The City last completed an annexation that became effective on June 30, 2011. An area can qualify for annexation if it meets the prerequisites and one or more of the standards contained in the State annexation statutes.

Charlotte annexation link here.

Therefore, this growth was directly affected by annexation:

Charlotte as of 4/1/11: 731,424

Charlotte as of 4/1/12: 771,553

^^The link you provide includes 2 details I think you may be glossing over:

Total population number in 4 square miles of annexation areas: 4,100 (so it's about 10% of the 40,000+) which IF it is part of the overall city number is not hugely significant.

The other point is my use of the word IF as when those annexations counted is up for debate. If you look at the timeline on your link the process started in 2010 and the June, 2011 was the formal extension of city services.

Cool. The ETJ areas on that map are what's left for Charlotte to annex.

Well considering that our mayor has openly stated being in favor of consolidating the entire county into the "city of Charlotte , this should not come as a surprise to you. If anything, that ETJ definition is likely outdated.

Also, those defined ETJ areas have nothing to do with growth seen between 2010 and 2012.

^ our current state legislature has made it MUCH more difficult to annex. A majority of residents being annexed must vote in favor of the annexation in order for it to occur. Barring changes to the legislation, I suspect annexation is over in NC. I believe that creates similar difficultes for consolidation, but I am uncertain about that legal process.

In regards to census and numbers and growth from annexation versus migration, UNC Charlotte's Urban Institute just released (Oct 4, 2012) a nifty interactive density guide/map showing 2000-2010.

Kind of cool to see how population of the area has swelled in the ten year period as well as a cautionary or optimistic note (depending on view) of how much the area surrounding the city has grown

http://ui.uncc.edu/d...th-census-tract

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting how the Raleigh area has grown much farther from the central core. Charlotte seems to be growing smarter in that aspect. Hopefully we are being as smart as possible with the developable land we have left. Having said that the Triangle is technically two separate metro areas so the "sprawly" look the map gives makes seance. Now as far as Atlanta goes..we won't go there..We all know Atlanta has always given a new meaning to the word sprawl..

• 4 months later...

In regards to census and numbers and growth from annexation versus migration, UNC Charlotte's Urban Institute just released (Oct 4, 2012) a nifty interactive density guide/map showing 2000-2010.

Kind of cool to see how population of the area has swelled in the ten year period as well as a cautionary or optimistic note (depending on view) of how much the area surrounding the city has grown

http://ui.uncc.edu/d...th-census-tract

Am I the only one who is very surprised about the low growth and negative growth in the SE area bordered by 77-277-74-485? I wonder what is causing this? I wonder how it compares to RE values?

• 2 weeks later...

I got in an argument with Tara Servatius once about "white flight" in Charlotte (her claim) and her belief that the city was on a spiral downward (shocker, I know). So it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to see Mecklenburg's population exploding while our bedroom counties growth has slowed dramatically. Especially the positive urban growth, regardless of what color the person moving in is.

I got in an argument with Tara Servatius once about "white flight" in Charlotte (her claim) and her belief that the city was on a spiral downward (shocker, I know). So it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to see Mecklenburg's population exploding while our bedroom counties growth has slowed dramatically. Especially the positive urban growth, regardless of what color the person moving in is.

Funny.

Mind if I ask where you learned backwards Aramaic, or whatever the she-beotch/devil speaks these days.

Archived