U.S. Census: Charlotte has fastest growing large city urbanized area

DCMetroRaleigh

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the latest Charlotte population estimate?

Charlotte Chamber Numbers

2012: City: 774,462 Meck: 971,848

2013: City: 796,921 Meck: 999,060

OH SO CLOSE to 800k and 1,000,000

22,000 people gained in one year!??!  Holy crap.  Those numbers are insane.  Mecklenburg added 74 people PER DAY.  So as of tomorrow, we are at a million.

Yay! 1 million! Who is bringing the champagne to celebrate!?

How accurate are the Chamber numbers historically compared to official US Census figures? I seem to recall that the Chamber numbers tend to overestimate what the Census will officially say.

Agreed.  I think we're probably close to the Chamber numbers but I wouldn't assume them to be completely accurate.

How accurate are the Chamber numbers historically compared to official US Census figures? I seem to recall that the Chamber numbers tend to overestimate what the Census will officially say.

They tout theirs to be more accurate than the Census, because of people that for ever reason don't want to be counted in the Census, which was estimated to be as much as 50,000 in Charlotte a few years back.

Excited to call Charlotte home! Important question: what are the trees that are blossoming everywhere and 'snowing' ? Pear trees ?

Right now there are pear trees, cherry trees and some form of apple trees blooming (among others of course, but what you are seeing is mostly likely one of those...most likely pear). Charlotte is awesome in the spring...esp. when the dogwoods and azaleas are blooming.

Those are mostly Bradford Pear trees, which are planted because of their overall hardiness (drought and pollution resistance), flowering in the spring, beautiful color changes in the fall, and fast-growing.  That last one causes trouble, though, during ice and thunderstorms: their branches and trunks snap very easily.

There are also Japanese cherry trees blooming now - Yoshino and Kwanzan.  Yoshinos are white with a pink tint, Kwanzans are bright pink.

• 1 month later...

Like two quotes in USA Today:

The urban resurgence is led by mid-sized cities including Austin and Fort Worth and Charlotte.

Frey notes that Charlotte, which grew 5.4% since 2010 has grown into a high-tech and financial center whose industries do business not just with those in other U.S. cities but with the rest of the world.

Like two quotes in USA Today:

The urban resurgence is led by mid-sized cities including Austin and Fort Worth and Charlotte.

Frey notes that Charlotte, which grew 5.4% since 2010 has grown into a high-tech and financial center whose industries do business not just with those in other U.S. cities but with the rest of the world.

That's awesome. Glad we're not the only ones noticing the local urban boom and economic diversification!

All great news.  I am a little confused though, are they referring to Charlotte, SC or Charlottesville, VA?  Without the NC moniker, it's a little ambiguous.... :whistling:

It's probably all the above... Must be where all the growth came from!

All great news.  I am a little confused though, are they referring to Charlotte, SC or Charlottesville, VA?  Without the NC moniker, it's a little ambiguous.... :whistling:

actually.. Charlotte Amalie, USVI

In other news the senate gave money to Charlotte's port authority for projects!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Based on annual growth rates from the Census Bureau, Bowen has calculated that Mecklenburg adds 72 new residents a day through people moving in or having babies vs. the people who move away or die.

As the figure ticked toward a million, Bowen did the math and declared that Sept. 12, 2013, would be the day

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/12/4309237/1-millionand-counting.html#storylink=cpy

Archived