The Maglev Train [Proposed]

Ocityst

^^

I think Mears supports this for the same reason that OIA supports this:  $$$

OIA stood to lose revenue from Mears and the rent-a-car business b/c of the corridor Maglev would serve.  They needed a deal that would pay OIA a portion of the ticket sales to cover the lost revenue they would sustain.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest OBJ article on Maglev:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/04/exclusive-7-details-on-new-airport-to-i-drive.html

According to this, the first phase of construction would be the I-Drive Circulator extending from the main station near 528 and extending all the way to Pointe Orlando/ Rosen Plaza.  Something tells me that there may have been talks of the Circulator extending all the way to SLR, but, I don't know.

The next phase would be I-Drive to Florida Mall.  The last phase would be from there to the intermodal center, contingent on it being complete.  No talk of a Sunrail SLR station stop (probably because they plan on a future phase of Sunrail making a direct connect to the intermodal center.

• 1 month later...

Apparently these folks decided to ask Port Canaveral if they're receptive to the idea of a train from MCO to the east coast... answer was a resounding no though.

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2015/06/24/port-canaveral-commissioners-reject-study-maglev-train/29224535/

Seems like they're proposing a lot of routes... I hope they get started on this first one soon so people can see it.

I hope so, too.

I have a former co-worker who has some LOOSE connections to this project and he's still saying he's giving it a 10-15% of getting up and running.  Is that personal pessimism or based on some inside knowledge?  I honestly have no clue.  He's vague on the particulars.

I hope so, too.

I have a former co-worker who has some LOOSE connections to this project and he's still saying he's giving it a 10-15% of getting up and running.  Is that personal pessimism or based on some inside knowledge?  I honestly have no clue.  He's vague on the particulars.

Well supposedly they were going to start work on the I drive circulator next month, but all has been pretty quiet, minus this work to start studying it on the coast. Thankfully these guys set a very aggressive time table so we should no sooner rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the circulator as pretty much being a lock.  It's the rest of the project (what was ORIGINALLY the entire project) that seems more in doubt.

That's good news about the circulator.  The problem with the circulator opening first and maybe being the sole "leg" is that it's not that far from Hilton Orlando to Pointe Orlando, and you can use the skywalk/OCCC almost the entire way

• 1 month later...

Do we know what the latest is for this project?  There was a Sentinel article back in May or July about AMT not having completed a ridership study. Any news since then? 

Looks like a story a few days ago interviewing some representatives from the company... basically, they claim they need a deal in place with the airport to start construction, but they didn't like the ridership study they did. At this point, they're pushing the entire timeline 6 months to deal with that, to at earliest December.

http://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-orlando-maglev-behind-schedule-20150812-story.html

I spoke with someone at Maglev yesterday, they said the GrowthSpotter piece is inaccurate. They said groundbreaking will be by end of the year.

Regarding the confusion with GrowthSpotter they said "The lady at Spotter couldn't understand and I couldn't explain it to her."

I also got this regarding the i-drive circulator, "The Circulator will happen after the Airport Connector is in place. That was a requirement placed on us by Orange County."

They seem very committed to a groundbreaking by end of the year still.

^^

to their defense, it was never realistic to have a maglev train in Edgewater (for example).

also, I agree about the I-drive Circulator being built after the airport link is built.  otherwise the circulator would be like the Jax AGT downtown.

• 1 month later...

Latest news from the Orlando Sentinel -- http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-maglev-spanish-investor-20151012-story.html -- hints that if the maglev line fails to move forward a light rail line might replace it.

Interesting. I would imagine there is money to be had in some kind of transit system that connects the airport, convention center, and IDrive (especially if you could connect to Seaworld in the south and Universal to the north).

Can we just stop waiting for maglev to fail to move right on to light rail?

It sounds like it would still be American Maglev, the same investors, and otherwise the same people pushing the light rail. Other then the airport deciding the maglev is "bad technology", I don't see how thats going to help it happen. I personally would be a bit disappointed if we don't get a grade separated system.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the scene is being set to transition away from maglev and toward a light-rail solution, according to the most recent GrowthSpotter article, "Globalvia still game to bring maglev or rail to Orlando," (subscription required) from last Tuesday at http://www.growthspotter.com/projects/maglev-train/gs-maglev-may-give-over-to-light-rail-20151027-story.html?=

Whether it's maglev or light rail, something must be built there soon. I have the same concerns as aent, it is a priority that such a project, whoever builds it, keeps it as grade-separated transit. It should not get watered down to buses (an extreme example, I know) running along roads and getting stuck in traffic. I just hope they do something fast enough before we really start to feel the I4 Ultimate project, and this goes for Sunrail phase II and its spur to OIA as well.

• 1 month later...

Well... I saw in OBJ that GOAA told the airport staff to proceed with ROW negotiations finally after American Maglev/Globalvia agreed to switch to Light Rail if they cannot resolve the Airport Authority's concerns before construction... a $500,000 . Supposedly still on target to open with Brightline (which was delayed till 2018, giving this project some more time to keep that promise)... Chairman of GOAA said "This train is coming, it's going to be here. It's just not as simple as other projects, but it's coming." They are going to meet again in about 30 days to discuss the ROW deal. If it switches to light rail, costs will supposedly increase by $200 million. They're now hoping to start construction in the spring if they can secure this approval, but who knows... 

Archived