First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

Didn't we already know this? I was complaining when I found out the project had gone from a very cool looking New Orleans-esque 2 story restaurant space to a (admittedly nice but also typical and ill-placed) loft office concept. I was surprised no one else seemed upset about it. 

We all thought there was still some hope for some retail/public space. Nope instead 100% commercial in the middle of a park, with no way to engage the public. So smart.

In response to the old dixies all being offices, Levine Properties had this to say to me "It will all make sense soon. Stay tuned." I can't imagine what I am staying tuned for will be anything exciting at all.

It might actually kinda make sense. Rumor has it that Google has leased the building for its community showroom and education center. Its actually a pretty good location for this (Park, LRT, Seventh St Station, Market, Imaginon)

Here is the TBJ story on the Raleigh location: http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2015/07/06/518-west-italian-cafe-in-raleigh-to-become-google.html

In addition to a showroom and event space, the Fiber Space typically houses classes and workshops intended to educate the public about Google Fiber.

• Like 2

In response to the old dixies all being offices, Levine Properties had this to say to me "It will all make sense soon. Stay tuned." I can't imagine what I am staying tuned for will be anything exciting at all.

It might actually kinda make sense. Rumor has it that Google has leased the building for its community showroom and education center. Its actually a pretty good location for this (Park, LRT, Seventh St Station, Market, Imaginon)

Here is the TBJ story on the Raleigh location: http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2015/07/06/518-west-italian-cafe-in-raleigh-to-become-google.html

In addition to a showroom and event space, the Fiber Space typically houses classes and workshops intended to educate the public about Google Fiber.

While it is definitely a MUCH better use than I was expecting. I'm still disappointed. Some portion of this building should be retail or restaurant facing the park.

What if they turn part of it into a retail Google store like they opened in London?

Better, But I really had my heart set on a cafe facing the park. Seems like a no brainer.

Plans were approved for the renovation, wow that was fast. The plans don't really give clues to anything other than its called "Delta Charlotte" which we already knew, there will be an atrium through the middle of the building (from the park to the rail trail) and there will be Tryon matching pavers along the backside of the building for the rail trail.

I don't fault him here. And the park is ahead of schedule and will be complete by November. Wow! This seems to have went so much faster than Romare. Or maybe I just don't care about this park? 

The renderings look so boring and sterile,

I always blame him.  After all, had he done any of the past 15 plans he had commissioned for the land, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  I simply cannot can't get past the meeting we had with him when I first moved to First Ward in 1999.  He told us of his imminent grand plans...16 years later...

Edited by Miesian Corners
  • Like 1

I always blame him.  After all, had he done any of the past 15 plans he had commissioned for the land, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  I simply cannot can't get past the meeting we had with him when I first moved to First Ward in 1999.  He told us of his imminent grand plans...16 years later...

I fault him for making a deal like this. Did he put in all the extra qualifications into the contract to give himself another out or another way to back out? We may never know....

No surprise, but I agree with you all.  I would be normally inclined to be sympathetic to cash flow issues, but he is clearly incompetent and prone to massive bouts of inertia.  There are obvious contractual protections which would or should allow him to sue to recover or get a loan to borrow against the university's promise to pay to keep the project moving (typically borrowing costs are lower than a major delay in an otherwise viable project like this).  He could even continue and just charge market rate until the university pays to get their parking spaces.  

It is a parking deck, so he could plausibly just drop a floor or two from the plans and carry through with the rest.  

There are countless options, but Levine always choses the "do nothing" option when presented with any choices what so ever.   Can you imagine being in line behind him at Starbucks?    Talking for 16 minutes over his options but just leaving with nothing after he can't make up his mind?

• Like 4

Got these today. 
"Hal Marshall by Smallwood Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates, Inc"

No clue how old these are. Just thought I'd share.

223865179.jpg

22412623-1.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This was sent to be by a friend/contact. I have no information about whether this is a recent plan or not.

Edited by Guest

What do you mean??? Is that still on and where??? I like it!

Where??? For real?

Love it

I'm not sure if its New or Old. I've asked a friend in the media to check with them.

Screen-Shot-2015-07-23-at-1.13.44-PM.jpg