First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

What an abomination early 1980's rendering and horrible design. What is the point of throwing out that rendering when it's not even going to be the final design....

Hopefully he can get an anchor and get office built. But it doesn't seem neither Crescent nor Portman has had such luck

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

The company has also hired Ryan Clutter, senior managing director of HFF’s Charlotte office, as listing broker for a separate, 3.7-acre parcel bounded by College, Tryon, Eighth and Ninth streets. “Block 42,” as it’s called, could also accommodate street-level retail and multifamily in addition to more office development, Levine Properties said.

This is probably even farther off, but there are a lot (by Charlotte standards) of different spaces and active uses on this block that I'll be sad to see go, including one of the only cheap places to live uptown and several decent facades. 

This is probably even farther off, but there are a lot (by Charlotte standards) of different spaces and active uses on this block that I'll be sad to see go, including one of the only cheap places to live uptown and several decent facades. 

Damn there are a lot of interesting historic buildings on that block. :-(

What an abomination early 1980's rendering and horrible design. What is the point of throwing out that rendering when it's not even going to be the final design....

Hopefully he can get an anchor and get office built. But it doesn't seem neither Crescent nor Portman has had such luck

This is just a model... I think more than anything else it's to show what they have in mind (despite the fact it'll never happen knowing Levine). Judgement reserved until an actual color rendering is shown. 

I think you are off by a block. The block they are talking about house 2 1-story buildings...the recently vacated Fire Dept HQ and the building that used to house Comedy Zone and various nightclubs in the past. Tryon House and Gantt Huberman Architects etc is 1 block over and not owned by Levine.

I think you are off by a block. The block they are talking about house 2 1-story buildings...the recently vacated Fire Dept HQ and the building that used to house Comedy Zone and various nightclubs in the past. Tryon House and Gantt Huberman Architects etc is 1 block over and not owned by Levine.

I think you're actually looking at the block bounded by College and LRT, not College and Tryon. I didn't think it was owned by Levine either though, in fact I'm sure its not. So hopefully the article was off by a block??

https://goo.gl/maps/3od89

edit: formatting problems

Edited by nonillogical

I think you're actually looking at the block bounded by College and LRT, not College and Tryon. I didn't think it was owned by Levine either though, in fact I'm sure its not. So hopefully the article was off by a block??

https://goo.gl/maps/3od89

edit: formatting problems

Ely just made a mistake in the article. He meant the one between College and the light rail.

This is just a model... I think more than anything else it's to show what they have in mind (despite the fact it'll never happen knowing Levine). Judgement reserved until an actual color rendering is shown. 

Anything that will take the focus off of the UNC building that is there. It is the model for "abomination."  I welcome anything that is close to the rendering presented. I actually welcome anything.

UNCC building is weird from a distance but at least it's trying, and distinguishes itself (in a better way than the Pink Condo building...). And its full-length street-level windows are attractive, and let you see into their rotating art exhibits, which is one of my favorite things.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

People dislike the UNCC building? Street presence could be better but I really like it from a distance. Its not like we have a lot of recent buildings with ballsy architecture.

I think people are just disappointed in the value engineering. It looked really cool in renderings. Finished product is decent, but not what we thought we were getting.