New Greenville developments

gs3

From reading the attachment, it is, if the floor is raised up.

This.  You raise the building up so that living areas are at least 4 feet above base flood elevation, you can take it a step further as well and design the building to essentially be on stilts so that flood waters can continue to flow underneath it.  I am assuming that they are going to tear down the existing building, in the scenario you would actually be better off than you are now because it creates a greater area to accommodate rising waters.

Edited by btoy

This.  You raise the building up so that living areas are at least 4 feet above base flood elevation, you can take it a step further as well and design the building to essentially be on stilts so that flood waters can continue to flow underneath it.  I am assuming that they are going to tear down the existing building, in the scenario you would actually be better off than you are now because it creates a greater area to accommodate rising waters.

Btoy, in rereading that application it only mentioned renovation of current building. Nothing saying anything about demoing anything. But now I am curious. I want to see what they are planning. could be shocking.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Haven't seen the Earth Fare Plaza mentioned in this forum. It is nearing completion and some tenants are already open for business:

http://www.collettre.com/properties/earth-fare-plaza-pelham-road-and-i-85-greenville-sc-29615

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/27990384/pelham-road-expansion-project-bringing-new-retailers-restaurants

Haven't seen the Earth Fare Plaza mentioned in this forum. It is nearing completion and some tenants are already open for business:

http://www.collettre.com/properties/earth-fare-plaza-pelham-road-and-i-85-greenville-sc-29615

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/27990384/pelham-road-expansion-project-bringing-new-retailers-restaurants

This looks like a great improvement.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.mirabelsmagazinecentral.com/DigitalEdition/index.html?id=304d37b6-2f51-4e53-88f0-2f2d4ae956d5

Here is an index page for the online version of Greenville Business Magazine. This several page article (starts page 33) talks about the success of the DT housing market, supply/demand, and highlights 121 Rhett among other projects. It also mentions one of the developers of one of the projects is already looking into his next project of more affordable housing:

"Likewise work's wrapping up at Alta Vista Place, Birch says he and Saad will mull plans for "other development opportunities that would target a price range for a much broader audience, maybe Mellinnials. I'm confident that in the coming years there will be more affordability announcements in the downtown core for a for-sale buyer."

Haven't read it yet, but there is also an article "Intelligent Design" about some of the DT architecture. Starts on page 25/26.

I have a request for a list (2 actually) if anyone wants to take the time to compile them. It seems like there are about 15 or 20 projects that are under construction right now in DT and it is hard to keep track of them all. Gman has a pretty good post for some of them on another forum, but it would be cool to have a running list of all DT projects currently under construction. Everything from the big ones to the smaller ones - any hotel, condo, appt or whatever currently going up right now, The list could pretty easily be mantained as projects finish up and new ones start. 

The other list I was wondering about is a list of all DT buildings that are 100 feet tall or more. Either aleady there or under construction. Any takers? 

Great article, thanks for posting. Some eye popping statistics in there. My favorite statement regarding the population surge to all the new apartments and condos being built:

"There are 3400 new folks expected to populate the 1.75 square miles of downtown...joining nearly 4,865 people who already live downtown....And that will create a population density exceeding New Orleans' French Quarter and Atlanta's Buckhead..."

Wow. That's great, but back to my chronic worry. Traffic congestion, traffic congestion, traffic congestion. What will happen?

It is the visitors to downtown who cause traffic congestion.  The residents will be walking whenever possible. That is part of the attraction to living downtown.

Parking garages off of Main Street are a good way to lessen congestion.  I wish they could expand the free trolley system .  Maybe they could expand it by charging a small fee to ride but provide downtown residents and people who park at the city garages with an electronic "free" pass for the trolley.    If you park downtown in a garage you get a one day pass to ride the trolley.  If you are a resident you get a renewable monthly pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Will the City not be posting the actual full applications for the DRB online anymore? Or maybe it's just glitches with their new website format... Either way, I'd like to see them without going to City Hall.

I was wondering the same thing.  You can view the 2 or 3 pages of the application itself, but there are none of the usual drawings and photos that go with it.

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/downtown-greenville-is-on-a-roll-again/

This is a nice little summary of what's going on downtown with apartments and condos. They are now calling the Stadium Apartments Perimeter West End and listing them as condos according to the article. 

What is the Elements West project? I am not putting it together.

The Stadium apartments is back on according tot he DRB agenda.   

Will the City not be posting the actual full applications for the DRB online anymore? Or maybe it's just glitches with their new website format... Either way, I'd like to see them without going to City Hall.

I believe they just add them later. The recently added the full applications yesterday.