Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

where'd you get this information from?

Just speculation on my part. He has been under pressure to release names, and even Tameika Isaac-Devine publicly said, a week or so ago, that he needs to step up and be more transparent. If the project was an entirely private venture, he could never say a thing, and he'd have every right to do so.

I'm thinking he'll give us a teaser tommorow, because he is scheduled to participate in a lunch meeting, the focus of which is Columbia Common/Bull St Common, or whatever it is ultimately to be named.    

• Like 1

The State reads that 60 businesses are expected to open up thereby the time the stadium opens. now 60 businesses im guessing they mean the 41 retail and 19 other types of businesses. if thats the case. 

HOLY CRAP!

if this is just only Phase 1 of the Bull Street project. I wonderh ow long before  phase 2 kicks into high gear. they said 20 year project. I believe in Columbia's Current state of growth and being one of the fastest growing cities in the south. I have a feeling this 20 year project might only take 10 or even less depending on our current growth rate if it speeds up or not.

nbut still 60 businesses is still just amazing for 1 area to have nothing and turn into a meca hub for everything. I wonder if some of these businesses they mention would be any condos/ Apartments or Hotels? and if so I wonder what rate they would be towards.

Actually, it said UP to 60 businesses would go into the development. No mention of it being 'by the time the stadium opens'. April 14 is eight months away, and construction has not started except on the office building.  Other than the restaurants in the First Base building, it is not realistic to expect anything else to be ready by opening day. 

Edited by vicupstate

I am puzzled that they returned to the old name, it does not have a positive connotation and is known (negatively) statewide. 

I the the change to Bull Street Common makes sense. I don't percieve the old connotation as negative at all. We would always tell people that were acting like idiots that they needed to be sent to Bull Street. Obviously the implication is the asylum, but it's also a geographic reference. A majority of Carolinians will probably understand the reference. That's huge from a marketing standpoint. 

I the the change to Bull Street Common makes sense. I don't percieve the old connotation as negative at all. We would always tell people that were acting like idiots that they needed to be sent to Bull Street. Obviously the implication is the asylum, but it's also a geographic reference. A majority of Carolinians will probably understand the reference. That's huge from a marketing standpoint. 

Hopefully, ones response once the development gets going...  Go ahead and send me to Bull Street, I'll have a great time! 

I agree. I always found it difficult to remember where Sandhills was coming from downtown because it lacked any relation to the nearby streets. Bull Street Common gives it a sense a place and evokes connections to Boston Common.

• 3 weeks later...

The city's bill continues to grow. The reporting is a little confusing, it seems like Hughes will build the parks and roads and the city will reimburse him from the $31.2 utilities/infrastructure fund. I can't tell if the land purchase will also be deducted from the city's fund? 

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article35278308.html

• Like 1

The city's bill continues to grow. The reporting is a little confusing, it seems like Hughes will build the parks and roads and the city will reimburse him from the $31.2 utilities/infrastructure fund. I can't tell if the land purchase will also be deducted from the city's fund? 

Dang you beat me to the post XD darn my slow PC.

All the while, the veil of secrecy about our investment (what retail will set up shop) remains firmly in place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Why have no retailers been announced yet? It seems as if they would release a few names here and there to build excitement and support in the community. Here we are, though, with only the assurance baseball will happen there in April. Should we as taxpayer/project investors not demand details?

Edited by victory
  • Like 1

Columbia’s Bull Street Common project reaches a milestone this week as workers top off an office building located near the project’s new ballpark.The First Base Building will be home to Ogletree Deakins, a law firm that will occupy more than 12,000 sq. ft. on the 4th floor overlooking Spirit Communications Park.

The firm is the first, and so far only, tenant to have publicly announced it will locate operations in the area around the multi-use stadium.

Developers and city leaders remain tight-lipped when asked to identify other businesses coming to Bull Street Common.

Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin told reporters Wednesday he expects “significant announcements” on additional tenants before the end of the year.  

http://www.wistv.com/story/30560346/mayor-steve-benjamin-bull-street-business-revealed-by-years-end

• 2 weeks later...

Proposed street names for the Bull Street neighborhood redevelopment project in Columbia

COLUMBIA, SC 

Names have been chosen for the streets bordering the baseball stadium that will anchor the Bull Street neighborhood redevelopment project in downtown Columbia.

The project’s developer plans to name them Freed, Boyce and Saunders streets, according to plans before Columbia’s Planning Commission. Gregg and Barnwell streets will be extended onto the project site, and a short street connecting to two has not yet been named, according to the plans.

Hughes Development of Greenville is developing the 165-acre project, which is expected to add thousands of new homes, stores and offices to the former S.C. State Hospital campus that long served the mentally ill. Work began in January on the 8,000-seat, $37 million minor league baseball stadium that will anchor the project.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article48100685.html