Bull Street Common

The_sandlapper

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know why I think this is so cool, but if you go to the new DPZ website -- it's been redesigned for their 25th anniversary. You will see a graphic listing all of the projects they have planned from 1980-2005 and if you look near the very end of the list you'll see "Bull Street Neighborhood." :) Now... if this project would only get started.

I don't know why I think this is so cool, but if you go to the new DPZ website -- it's been redesigned for their 25th anniversary. You will see a graphic listing all of the projects they have planned from 1980-2005 and if you look near the very end of the list you'll see "Bull Street Neighborhood." :) Now... if this project would only get started.

State government is dragging their feet. As soon as it is sold there should be some movement on the property.

I am a Columbia native but no longer live in SC. There are many hazards to the new planned communities that I have seen spring up here in the mid-west and west. There are planned communities in Lansing Michigan and Toledo Ohio that are clones of others I have seen in Colorado. The projects were presented to the communities the same way the Bull Street project was describe the

True. Some developers are bad about that. However, DPZ is pretty good about using local architectural influences. They send a team out to survey the area before they do any preliminary designs in order to make sure their project blend in with the area.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

I'm really hoping that the Bull Street project has a true sense of urbanity and connects to the rest of the city well. PLEASE don't let it turn out like Baxter Village in Ft. Mill. It's nice, but something like that seems too faux-urban.

Recalling and complimenting the surrounding area's architecture and connectivity are central to Duany's way of developing land.

The State has a story on how confusion over who actually controls the Bull Street property are delaying this project. Sounds like it might end up in court. It wouldn't be Columbia if stuff like this didn't happen.

The same type of thing happened in North Charleston with the Noisette Project. This type of thing is standard and shouldn't mess up the big picture, but only delay the starting point.

No big surprise there. At least the cause of the delay isn't the city's insistence on developing the property itself.

As I understand it, the dispute is not over ownership, but how the proceeds will be spent.

If the state would simply agree to spend the proceeds on the Mental Health department, this project could proceed. Considering the huge budget cuts they have faced in recent years, the state should do just that.