Charlotte Bobcats Arena

utcltjay

I wish the new convention center was built on the site of the old one though. The really close proximity between the two would have been an added advantage--that's a trend I see in a lot of cities. But the new one isn't that far away (actually within walking distance).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish the new convention center was built on the site of the old one though. The really close proximity between the two would have been an added advantage--that's a trend I see in a lot of cities. But the new one isn't that far away (actually within walking distance).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, the arena and ncc are only 3 blocks from eachother, and are connected by the light rail/trolley tracks/walkway.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep expecting to hear about an arena naming deal one of these days, doesn't it seem like its really late in the game to still not have a name?

I also expected to hear about whos gonna be in some of the street level retail there at the arena, I'm hoping its gonna be someone pretty notable

i agree. Although for as much as everyone complains about giving the farm to the nba, that also got the risk when it does rain (to continue the farm analogy). It will probably be "bobcats arena" or "charlotte arena" if no one signs, but i'd bet everyone is just waiting to tour it when it is closer to done. I'm not sure when they are typically signed, but you are right, it is just a few months from completion/operation, so it seems very unusual.

As far as retail, i am not sure on this, but i thought i read that they were having more trouble than expected selling street retail, as there was no access to inside the building. Frankly, i always thought that there would be a window to sell to inside, and a door and stuff to stay open to the outside when the arena was closed. surely they could make something work, that would still be secure, but who knows.

i It will probably be "bobcats arena" or "charlotte arena" if no one signs, but i'd bet everyone is just waiting to tour it when it is closer to done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The official name that will be going on the NCDOT signs is "New Charlotte Arena"

The official name that will be going on the NCDOT signs is "New Charlotte Arena"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Diana Whitarce, the know it all about roads/transit columist of the Observer said the NCDOT didn't want to wait until the arena gets its official name so they just going to use a temporary signage of "New Charlotte Arena"

Diana Whitarce, the know it all about roads/transit columist of the Observer said the NCDOT didn't want to wait until the arena gets its official name so they just going to use a temporary signage of "New Charlotte Arena"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That just sounds stupid....why put "New" on there.

ESA sounded ( and sounds) much better than RBC Center.

Just like consumer products, "New" can be used for a long time, and differentiates from the older colliseums. I'm sure that plenty of people would be confused if they didn't put "new" on there.

I've always wondered why "arena" was the word for this, when both the older basketball buildings were "Colliseum". I always thought colliseum was a cool name, and sounded very grand and important. Arena sounds the opposite to me.

I guess we'll see if the naming rights change the description to sound good with the brand...arena might be much more versitile with company names.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what will happen to Cricket Arena now that the Checkers have moved to the new Arena as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hopefully it can survive just as it has over the decade and a half that the tyvola colliseum has been open. If it is connected to downtown through BRT/LRT, it can possibly be included more in convention activity.

It will be a big loss for the city if it gets torn down, too.

I've always wondered why "arena" was the word for this, when both the older basketball buildings were "Colliseum".  I always thought colliseum was a cool name, and sounded very grand and important.  Arena sounds the opposite to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it all has to do with present trends in naming things...like calling your downtown "uptown," things like that. I know that Columbia/USC's old building is called the Carolina Coliseum, but the new one is called the Colonial Center. So I guess "center" and "arena" are just the "in" designations now.

That just sounds stupid....why put "New" on there.

ESA sounded ( and sounds) much better than RBC Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because Clt has umpteen coliseums now. There's gotta be some way to distinguish them. :D

Seriously, what's going to be done with the old-old Coliseum, and the old Coliseum? I remember going to the first game at the new--er, old--Clt Coliseum in 1988 when the scoreboard fell.

BTW, the RBC Center sounds about $80 million better than the ESA. ;)

Because Clt has umpteen coliseums now.  There's gotta be some way to distinguish them.  :D 

Seriously, what's going to be done with the old-old Coliseum, and the old Coliseum?  I remember going to the first game at the new--er, old--Clt Coliseum in 1988 when the scoreboard fell.

BTW, the RBC Center sounds about $80 million better than the ESA.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cricket Arena (the original Coliseum) continues to do what it does. The Charlotte Coliseum will be imploded for an office park. Thankfully, Maya Lin's giant shrubs will get to stay. :unsure:

cricket arena is definitely at risk... big time.

Not only did the mayor mention the major deficits that cricket and ovens are facing, and will need to be dealt with in the next few budget years... but now there is news that merchandise is planning a move to the western end of the county.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/11888478.htm

not only will a merchandise mart relocation seriously put the ovens/cricket/merchandise mart campus into a bit of a crisis, but it will eliminate a major activity center on indendendence boulevard and the east side.

Something is going to happen to this site, but it appears that all the facilities there are on their last legs, even with the ovens having been recently renovated.

to destroy the cricket arena (old, old coliseum) - would in my book be an act of historical and architectual terrorism. i know it's strong language - but we have to know where to draw the line. when the coliseum was completed in '55 it was the largest free-span dome in the world, not to mention a very unique piece of architecture that charlotte should save at all costs. some of my earliest memories are of this place...my dad used to sell stickers and whatnot @ college basketball games. i do agree and understand that this space has outlived it use, but i believe that it could be redesigned for something (office, museum, govrnmt building, etc.). i can't help but to think of the "reichstag" in berlin.

Archived