Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Did anyone go downtown today? There were a good number of people out and about for a Saturday afternoon...especially considering there was not any special event going on. I hope this a sign a better times ahead for downtown Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it takes me forever to get out of my parking deck on saturdays due to the pedestrian traffic. thats a good sign.

well, at least you get to ban all of the nut cases and crack heads!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Banning someone is not something that we like to do. Its always controversial and complicated and is usually proceeded by lots of trouble. We just got rid of a bunch of 15 & 16 year olds that turned around and started a forum to make fun of UP. LOL

I think this forum is much more mature and content-focused than the other forums, so i hope that it can stay that way, even as it becomes more popular.

It is our intention to always keep this site as mature as possible without being overly strict. We've worked hard to create the atmosphere here and will continue to work hard to keep what we've accomplished. We're growing at a steady rate and it's exciting for all involved!

Does anyone know what is going on at S. Tryon and Summit? It's the project right at the Y in the road where Camden and Tryon separate in SouthEnd. It looks as if the entire building has been gutted and is undergoing redevelopment. There was a sign up for a new office interiors store going in but I didn't know if they would be using the whole space or not. It is a big space.

Secondly, I'm surprised renovations like this one didn't start much earlier. With all of the other renovations in SouthEnd and all of the new construction going on it seems as if this section of Tryon and Camden would have really boomed with renovations and construction. I know some was done here but driving through there you can see that the street isn't living up to its potential. That little stretch could easily have a "main street" feel to it and sort of provide a "center of the action" spot for SouthEnd.

It will be retail space.....they are pretty much just going to add big plate glass windows to what you see now and some metal signage and call it a day......

Also, up at Bland more or less on S. Tryon, their is a warehouse conversion to office going on......I agree that it seems like this area is slowing down, but it's mainly due to the enormous sums of money msot of the current property owners want......it's going to happen though so be patient....

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, any way to stop a thread from becoming unread everytime someone votes in a poll. I didn't see anything in my controls, did I miss it?

We have alot of people joining everyday and old polls keep coming to the top of the lists but with no new posts...

The North Carolina House of Reps. approved a state lottery today!!!

They have been the biggest obstacle so far, and the senate will likely approve it as well. The governor has said that he will support it.

It's about time. Say what you want about a lottery, but when we lose $300M to other states in each year, that's a lot of new schools and scholarships that are thrown away.

Did it include the provisions against promotions? Will it go through a referendum first?

I kind of like the no-ads idea. I know it is just a political compromise, but it isn't like local news won't talk about it all the time anyway...

How to become a millionaire for a dollar... news at 11!

Without the ads will they still be able to have Powerball and Megamillions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there was an article in the observer that addresses this:http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/11341141.htm

"Lottery backers have said the state is unlikely to join Powerball because of the advertising ban.

Not so, say lottery directors in states that are part of Powerball. Other states, they say, don't care whether North Carolina advertises or not. Each state keeps proceeds from the tickets it sells."

Thought this was an interesting summary of Charlotte. Comes off a website telling movie producers/directors about Charlotte. You can read the rest at Everything you ever wanted to know about About Shooting in Charlotte, NC

Prior to arriving in a new city, every producer needs the lay of the land. This guide explores everything about Charlotte, North Carolina, that producers need to know.

Charlotte is a fast growing city with the elegance of the old South and the conveniences of a large urban area. Charlotte is a bustling city with big business, high tech firms, universities, pro sports teams, museums, and great restaurants. Both Bank of America and Wachovia are headquartered here in Charlotte, making it the second largest banking center in the nation (next to New York City). Small business thrives in Uptown Charlotte and where the city continues its Corridor Revitalization Project.

Charlotte provides many opportunities for higher education at Queens University, The University of North Carolina Charlotte, Central Piedmont Community College, and Pfeiffer University.

The thunder of NASCAR can be heard all around the Charlotte area as it is located in the heart of NASCAR country and is home to Lowe