Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

Disappointed with the run-offs.

I thought Clodfelter was going to do a great job. I guess Roberts is okay as long as she's willing to do some reforms for Charlotte's zoning code, transit, etc.

I thought Clodfelter was going to do a great job. I guess Roberts is okay as long as she's willing to do some reforms for Charlotte's zoning code, transit, etc.

Same. She talks a very good talk (to the extent that, if I'd known nothing about any of them before the run-off debate, I could hardly tell the difference) and even mentioned each future transit line/corridor. But the real test will be to see how effective she is. Clodfelter was a proven pragmatist in terms of getting things done and generally very respected. I don't know much about Roberts, but I hope she meets the needs for the city.

I've met her son and daughter, they seem cool! So, for what that's worth... 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

I'm personally very excited she won. She deserved it after reaching out to all the different voters 

I'm very happy Clodfelter lost. He lied about not running if appointed mayor. He sponsored state legislation that ultimately passed another session limiting residential design standards for cities. He practically wrote legislation that prohibited articulated buses, which are still not allowed on slower streets.  Basically, his word is worthless, and his tactics are slimy.

Someone really needs to trademark the color "Charlotte Beige".  How awesome would that be?  Anyone who is building anything in Charlotte wouldn't even have to bother with color selection-the decision is already made. 

Perhaps for texture, one could add some pulverized stucco into the Charlotte Beige paint mix to create a truly "Charlotte" feel on any wall.

I saw a debate between Jennifer and Peacock.

Both candidates actually looked pretty good, but Jennifer stayed longer so I could ask her questions. She's for form based code, road diets, and the street car extension.

She's a bit vague in how she will implement the policies though.

I forgot whatever was supposed to come of all that empty land in the extreme corner of 3rd ward by 277 & 77.

I think a 2015 live/work/play birkdale-ish mixed with 1st ward "garden district" (is that what it's called?) surrounded by nice town homes would be nice for that land

One of the ironies of the Charlotte mayoral race - and it's media presence - is that the mayor can't really implement squat. Influence, yes, but only the city council can do anything. 

And neither have anything to do with the schools. That's Mecklenburg County's responsibility.

The whole school kerfuffle in the runoff was bogus.

• Like 1

I was reading up on some stuff regarding the potential GE HQ relocation, and it sounds pretty much like it's Atlanta's to lose, but found an interesting piece of info... Atlanta's tallest building, BofA Plaza, is HALF empty with 600,000 sqft of space available. Had no idea on that. Seems like a logical space for them to go to, even if it were temporary. 

http://business.blog.ajc.com/2015/09/29/ge-representatives-to-tour-atlanta-soon-as-part-of-hq-search/

I was reading up on some stuff regarding the potential GE HQ relocation, and it sounds pretty much like it's Atlanta's to lose, but found an interesting piece of info... Atlanta's tallest building, BofA Plaza, is HALF empty with 600,000 sqft of space available. Had no idea on that. Seems like a logical space for them to go to, even if it were temporary. 

http://business.blog.ajc.com/2015/09/29/ge-representatives-to-tour-atlanta-soon-as-part-of-hq-search/

It was just listed for sale - apparently CBRE has the listing. The loan secured by the property is in default and I think it would make sense for someone to buy the building subject to a GE relocation (and probably a subsequent re-naming of the property). 

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2015/09/bank-of-america-plaza-about-to-hit-the-market.html 

• 2 weeks later...

Just in time for Halloween, two of our newish local blogs have stories about haunted buildings in Fourth Ward.  My building, St. Peters, which opened in 1878 as Charlotte's original hospital, is also rumored to be haunted (I've heard stories from fellow residents) and is a stop on the various Uptown ghost tours.  My condo is ghost-free, but I do enjoy watching people's faces when I walk in or out of the front door to the building while a tour group is outside.

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/23595/is-the-bootlegger-house-the-most-haunted-house-in-charlotte/

http://www.charlottefive.com/ambrose-the-ghost-and-the-mysterious-tunnel-at-first-presbyterian-church/

I lived in Tryon House for 3 years before learning that it was supposed to be haunted. I guess there was a bad fire there and several people died in 1940. The hallways and entrance were indeed very spooky though my apartment was fine, and most weird noises were easily attributable to the old radiators. 

http://clclt.com/theclog/archives/2012/10/01/question-the-queen-city-the-tryon-house

• Like 1

I am more than a little disturbed that Larry Bumgarner can get nearly 22,000 votes for school board. He was only 5,000 votes away from actually getting elected.

Not surprised. There's an entire forum dedicated to wackos like him. Likely the the reason he got that many votes in the first place.

Oh, and Roberts is the new mayor. I think Peacock should pursue a seat somewhere in the NCGA. Not a bad guy by any means.