Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Good job Cleveland, this is awesome and I want it

http://s.cleveland.com/SVChT2X

Stark sold that lot?  I remember something's been planned here for years.  Between this, Convention Center & hotel, Flats East Bank, new Public Square and nuCLEus our old hometown is almost unrecognizable

On 11/28/2015, 9:39:31, grodney said:
Speaking of cranes.....I didn't look very hard for an answer, but does anybody know what the tower crane is, west of I-77 near Arrowwood?

I've been noticing that crane as well.  The Meck GIS website shows that parcel as being owned by Drury Development Corp, so I'm guessing it's to be a hotel.

I noticed the BofA corporate tower is lit up in green.  I'm guessing this is for the Paris climate talks?  It creates a nice contrast with the other towers and seems to stick out even more than the blue they occasionally use for Panther's playoff games.  Maybe they could make it permanent and have it symbolize money or greed 

On 12/2/2015, 8:51:26, abttown said:

I noticed the BofA corporate tower is lit up in green.  I'm guessing this is for the Paris climate talks?  It creates a nice contrast with the other towers and seems to stick out even more than the blue they occasionally use for Panther's playoff games.  Maybe they could make it permanent and have it symbolize money or greed 

According to the Observer,  it's for Project Grenlight. It's  some sort of veteran initiative. It will be be green until Jan 2.

Edit: Was on mobile and couldn't get link. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/banking/article48588090.html

Edited by Dcarnys

On 12/8/2015, 11:26:08, Dcarnys said:

According to the Observer,  it's for Project Grenlight. It's  some sort of veteran initiative. It will be be green until Jan 2.

Edit: Was on mobile and couldn't get link. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/banking/article48588090.html

Oh!  Well sounds like Greenlight A Vet is a pretty good cause as well.  I love how wicked that first Observer pic looks with the dark clouds behind the tower. 

Thanks for the info!

Something I am anticipating is the reception to all of these similar apartment buildings in and around the CBD. So many are of the same size, height, materials, color, amenities and so on. One or two will become the "preferred" building for reasons that will be unknowable to most of us and perhaps even to those living in them. Some status and coolness and higher perceived residents' quality or something will drive this process. As with any product, when multiple choices abound then one (or more) will become preferred as the others struggle to maintain their subjective attractiveness. Interesting to wait to see which one falls where.

25 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Something I am anticipating is the reception to all of these similar apartment buildings in and around the CBD. So many are of the same size, height, materials, color, amenities and so on. One or two will become the "preferred" building for reasons that will be unknowable to most of us and perhaps even to those living in them. Some status and coolness and higher perceived residents' quality or something will drive this process. As with any product, when multiple choices abound then one (or more) will become preferred as the others struggle to maintain their subjective attractiveness. Interesting to wait to see which one falls where.

My money's on Crescent Dilworth and Mint Museum Tower.

I predict we will look back in horror at nearly all the 4 and 5-story stick-built apartments.  It won't take all that long before the embarrassed cringes and forehead slaps begin, but to no avail. We're stuck with this round of claptrap for 40-50 years.

Got EIFS, y'all?

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

It's the natural cycle of these things. The few projects that were built with quality (mint, Crescent dilworth, maybe one or two others) could do a condo conversion. A majority will reside in the middle. Not great, not quite crap and the prices on those will level off. Word of mouth will get out for the remaining few. Give it a year or two and there will be online reviews about paper thin walls, management not tending to issues, overall shotty construction, etc. Those will be the ones that will lower rents and offer huge signing bonuses.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 0:45 PM, Silicon Dogwoods said:

My money's on Crescent Dilworth and Mint Museum Tower.

I predict we will look back in horror at nearly all the 4 and 5-story stick-built apartments.  It won't take all that long before the embarrassed cringes and forehead slaps begin, but to no avail. We're stuck with this round of claptrap for 40-50 years.

Got EIFS, y'all?

Unfortunately, the apartments are 4 or five stories because a concrete slab would have to be installed between floors if taller. That makes the apartments both cheaper and of poorer quality. I will never again live in a place without at least a 4 inch slab installed correctly.  But on the positive side, it makes apartments a bit less costly for those generally just out of college and entering the business world.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's just in my head, but this year I've noticed more people leisurely enjoying uptown. I know this Christmas was very warm, but uptown was fairly active. Epicenter parking was heavy. Movie I went to at 2:15 at studio movie grille was pretty much sold out except the bottom seats by the row. Last year, I was the only vehicle practically in the epicenter. A lot of my university friends who are typically too hipster to go uptown I've noticed on FB or talking to them have been going uptown often.  It just seems like there are more leisurely people wandering around these days.

30 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I don't know if it's just in my head, but this year I've noticed more people leisurely enjoying uptown. I know this Christmas was very warm, but uptown was fairly active. Epicenter parking was heavy. Movie I went to at 2:15 at studio movie grille was pretty much sold out except the bottom seats by the row. Last year, I was the only vehicle practically in the epicenter. A lot of my university friends who are typically too hipster to go uptown I've noticed on FB or talking to them have been going uptown often.  It just seems like there are more leisurely people wandering around these days.

I drove through uptown today and it seemed like there were lots of people out and about. This was around 3PM or so.

So hipster friends go to NoDa, South End, Plaza Midwood?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Silicon Dogwoods said:

I drove through uptown today and it seemed like there were lots of people out and about. This was around 3PM or so.

So hipster friends go to NoDa, South End, Plaza Midwood?

My "hipster" friends generally stay in NoDa, passes through Plaza & probably has no clue what SouthEnd is

• Like 1

I generally feel most comfortable if I spend the majority of my time in NoDa, PM, and Elizabeth; those neighborhoods feel like homemade pie. Uptown and South End are like special luxury pies garnished with diamond dust that I treat myself to every so often, though I start getting anxious if I hang around too long.

Edited by SgtCampsalot