Bridges at Mint Hill

DigitalSky

honestly, I don't think the area is ready for another mall yet. Most people if they want upscale they drive to SouthPark. And with the Heelsplitter issue, who knows if Bridges will ever happen. I wonder if Stallings' Mall will happen
I can't see Mint Hill getting off the ground anytime soon, and I don't see Stallings happening at all.

• 1 month later...

Well its official groundbreaking for this project started today. They have equipment on-site and grading has begun. Several residential structures need to be demolished but they are vacant and have demolition signs posted in front of them. Looks like this project is moving ahead after all.

Glad to see this is getting started. I remember when they originally proposed this a few years back. I grew up in Mint Hill, and I think it will be great to have this retail so close by for people living there. However, one of the main draws to Mint Hill is the small town feel of it. The town will definately change a lot in the next five years, for the good and bad.

Article from the Observer today about work getting started. Sounds pretty aggressive to me; they mention a 2009 opening.

Article Link

Yeah I think your right about 2009. Not only because the mall itself is so large but because if this is going to happen then Lawyers Road will need to be totally redone at this location along with the 485-interchange, I expect, to accommodate the traffic load. They are talking about putting in a roundabout on Lawyers road to help deal with the sharp curves and to ease traffic flow. Also, a lot of engineering controls will need to be put into place to limit the impact of this development to Goose Creek because of the Heelsplitter.

But I think once this project gets up and running it will have a big impact on this part of Mecklenburg County. I remember when SouthPoint was being built in Durham, which is very similar to this mall. There was nothing in that part of Durham and now the area is booming.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Constructiom at Bridges at Mint Hill shopping center has officially come to a halt and won't start up again until the end of the year according to the Observer. Supposedly they're saying that the construction was too far ahead of schedule and their planning wasn't caught up. That sounds a little sketchy.

That's an interesting excuse and it's rubbish. It's no doubt due to the economy and the fact that General Growth, the developer, is having major issues in these seized up capital markets trying to get refinancing on its $billions of debt maturing over the next two years. Being that the company is now devoting full attention to its existing stabilized portfolio of malls, I predict this project will be on hold until 2010 at the earliest or may just outright die.

What I really hate is that this project is having a huge impact on a fragile ecosystem (remember the heelsplitter mussel controversy) and now it's just going to sit for at least 5 months with nothing but exposed clay causing runoff into the creeks of the area. :(

Edited by Raintree21

What I really hate is that this project is having a huge impact on a fragile ecosystem (remember the heelsplitter muscle controversy) and now it's just going to sit for at least 5 months with nothing but exposed clay causing runoff into the creeks of the area. :(

Yeah it's really sad honestly... this mall shouldn't ever have been planned in the first place!

I wonder if there's anyway to require the developer to plant grass or something to at least decrease the runoff a little bit. It would also temporarily help (even if just a tiny bit) with pollution to have greenery there instead of dirt.

Edited by Raintree21

I wonder if there's anyway to require the developer to plant grass or something to at least decrease the runoff a little bit. It would also temporarily help (even if just a tiny bit) with pollution to have greenery there instead of dirt.

Your thinking is right on.... From the new article

In the meantime, Welch said developers have told him that grass will be planted over the graded area to stabilize the soil and prevent runoff until grading resumes.

I've read blog rumors elsewhere on the InterTubes that General Growth Properties is hunkering down on other projects... I'm not surprised that they "would not return phone calls". My hunch is that there will be a longer delay than currently announced.

• 4 months later...

This project is still in the works, apparently. General Growth has renderings on their website.... and I don't think it has been previously announced, but joining Belk as the other 2 anchors, are (not really surprising) Dillard's and JC Penney... The 3 anchor tenants that abandoned Eastland.

A Movie Theater, 14-screen, and Bookstore (either a Barnes & Noble, Borders or Books-A-Million) will round out the rest of the project still.

589minthillmall1113art0ea1.jpg

In this first rendering you can clearly see the Dillard's arches and you can see the movie theater.

bridgesvk3.jpg

And here is on the "streetscape" presumably looking toward a future anchor (JCPenney maybe?)

Edited by DigitalSky

This project is still in the works, apparently. General Growth has renderings on their website.... and I don't think it has been previously announced, but joining Belk as the other 2 anchors, are (not really surprising) Dillard's and JC Penney... The 3 anchor tenants that abandoned Eastland.

A Movie Theater, 14-screen, and Bookstore (either a Barnes & Noble, Borders or Books-A-Million) will round out the rest of the project still.

589minthillmall1113art0ea1.jpg

In this first rendering you can clearly see the Dillard's arches and you can see the movie theater.

bridgesvk3.jpg

And here is on the "streetscape" presumably looking toward a future anchor (JCPenney maybe?)

Wait, so this is still happening? Are you serious? I never thought this would actually come to be. I'm still skeptical, I'm going to have to see more proof to believe, aka some earth moving a little faster. Great finds though DigitalSky!

Hi,

There was an article recently in the Observer saying that Childress Klein is still committed to the project, here is the link:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/business/story/337038.html

General Growth just got a reprieve on some payments for another mall in Las Vegas, hopefully they can get there stuff together and still be part of it also.

Though I agree until I actually see it resume I will not beleive it all 100%.

Hi,

There was an article recently in the Observer saying that Childress Klein is still committed to the project, here is the link:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/business/story/337038.html

General Growth just got a reprieve on some payments for another mall in Las Vegas, hopefully they can get there stuff together and still be part of it also.

Though I agree until I actually see it resume I will not beleive it all 100%.

yeah it's to be seen, a few days after that article published, another updated one surfaced too http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/353796.html reconfirming that the woes of GGP won't affect (as much?) Bridges...

Not even sure what that article said really? But by what it didn't say, but the fact they printed it and tried to say something means we still can't be completely confident it will happen.

But they are talking about it and it's better than hearing nothing I guess...

I think we need this mall since it's crazy going to Mathews and providence road for everything, Hawthornes was nice but we need more.