Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

I'm glad to see Burlington Coat Factory out there because it will positively add to the mechandise mix. Fred's Department Store is a little more iffy. Although it's a pretty well rounded store and fills the void left by Eckerd, it's a little cheesy.

Oh well, if University Mall in Chapel Hill can handle Roses smack in the center, Eastland can handle Fred's

Edited by StevenRocks

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/loc...D=88192&SecID=2

80,000 square feet of the Burlington Coat Factory occupy the space of the JC Penney/Outlet... and the rest of the area is occupied by Fred's Discount Store. In Charlotte, there's a Burlington Coat Factory in Pineville, Matthews, and Concord Mills.

Video is included on News14's website.

There's also a rumor that was in today's paper that Glimcher may be selling the mall to Thor Properties...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a good possibility. Thor has a lot of experience in urban markets, and they do pretty well with them. The guy behind Thor, Joseph Sitt, is the same guy behind the Ashley Stewart plus-sized chain, which has to be one of the more popular stores at Eastland.

Edited by StevenRocks

• 3 weeks later...

Been to the old Eastland Mall lately? Rumor has it they are closing the ice rink sometime this spring. Might as well close the mall while they are at it. I got a kick out of the ads they recently put on the radio for the Burlington Coat Factory at Eastland Mall. Yeah, that's currently on the top of my priority list to drive to Reddman Rd. to get a coat. Whatever. It's about time this mall shuts down. The area sort of reminds me of the situation and demographics which are surrounding the old Carolina Circle Mall in Greensboro. Only thing that makes money in that plaza is the Harris Teeter (that HT actually does better than the Mint Hill HT). Besides the abandoned Hannaford's and the Upton's across Albemarle, the area looks more like Brooklyn. Also, is the Freedom Mall still in business? Last time I was there, all there was remaining was a Peeble's. While on the subject, somebody close the Monroe Mall as well, that's probably the most pathetic out of all of them.

Closing all the malls isn't the solution, lol. The idea is to "revitalize" them instead. People who live in these neighborhoods still need places to shop.

Where did you hear the rumor that the ice skating rink will close? Last time I was there, which was earlier this year, the rink was thriving. I don't think Ice Chalet has plans to close it. The rumors that i've heard though are that once the new retail development off I-485 and Idlewild/Lawyers... Belk and Dillard's will go there and could possibly exit the mall. I don't think it will end up like Carolina Circle though.

It would be nice if something was done about the Upton's and Hannaford's though.

Freedom is being partially turned into government offices, and it's half leased at current, i believe Peeble's is still there.

The people of union county need a mall in Monroe to shop at, and Monroe Mall, albeit small, is working for Monroe and the surrounding area. Things may change when the new mall at I-485 and Lawyers/Idlewild open though.

Edited by cantnot

Closing all the malls isn't the solution, lol.  The idea is to "revitalize" them instead.  People who live in these neighborhoods still need places to shop.

Where did you hear the rumor that the ice skating rink will close? Last time I was there, which was earlier this year, the rink was thriving.  I don't think Ice Chalet has plans to close it.  The rumors that i've heard though are that once the new retail development off I-485 and Idlewild/Lawyers... Belk and Dillard's will go there and could possibly exit the mall.  I don't think it will end up like Carolina Circle though.

It would be nice if something was done about the Upton's and Hannaford's though.

Freedom is being partially turned into government offices, and it's half leased at current, i believe Peeble's is still there.

The people of union county need a mall in Monroe to shop at, and Monroe Mall, albeit small, is working for Monroe and the surrounding area.  Things may change when the new mall at I-485 and Lawyers/Idlewild open though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I understand about the Monroe people but most of them shop at Carolina Place. You go to the Monroe Mall on a Saturday and there's about 50 people. The rest of the people in Monroe are at Carolina Place, Wal-Mart or K-Mart. They're not at the 1000 sq. ft JC Penney or the pretzel place.

Freedom Mall and Eastland are having a perception problem more than it is any other problem. It's a black and Hispanic neighborhood, and white people are running from there because of it and the perception of crime. I don't do a lot of shopping out there, but I think it's a decent mall that needs a little TLC. Same thing with Monroe Mall. It's a rural area, and people who should try to support the place are running elsewhere for basically the same stuff.

Simply closing every mall in a minority or rural neighborhood isn't going to help anyone. I don't see why Eastland folks should have to travel to Southpark or Carolina Place for what they should be able to get close to home. People need places to shop and though they may not be swanky, it's still better than an abandoned shell like Carolina Circle.

Yeah, I understand about the Monroe people but most of them shop at Carolina Place.  You go to the Monroe Mall on a Saturday and there's about 50 people.  The rest of the people in Monroe are at Carolina Place, Wal-Mart or K-Mart.  They're not at the 1000 sq. ft JC Penney or the pretzel place.

I live ~6 miles from Monroe Mall and I haven't been inside in probably three or more years. I do most of my shopping at Southpark Mall but I have been in Carolina Place. Monroe is starting to be the Bronx of the Charlotte area. New development in Monroe is all going to the west of Dickerson Blvd. (runs right beside the Monroe Mall). From the mall east, the city is dying IMO. Monroe has a huge influx of Hispanics and the further east you go in Monroe the more things are becoming Hispanic owned. In fact, there are certain areas in Monroe where every single business has ads, writing, etc. in spanish with no English to be found.

mediamongrel.......so Harris Teeter is too high-class and friendly, and Eastland and Monroe malls are too low class and ghetto.......with beotching like that, you've got to be from New York

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually no i am not, but it seems a lot of the people in Charlotte are from new york. I think the people in the mountains have it right with Ingles. There is virtually no competition between food lion ingle's and bi-lo in the mountain areas. and harris teeter cant survive in the mountains. they already tried and closed two stores in the tennessee mountians and two in the nc mountains. face it the rich people are in charlotte and the newer parts of raleigh (which is coincidentally where the most HTs are). I'm not saying that's bad, all my original point was is that they make it look like they cater to community schools and all this garbage when in reality the schools that are linked through HT's VIC link program are mostly upper class schools. Harris Teeter does have clean stores and friendly people, but you definitely do pay for it. Personally my grocery bill dropped $28 when I switched from HT to Wal Mart one week. Now, like everybody, I just cherry pick the grocery stores.

Actually if I have a lot of shopping to do, general stocking up, etc. I go to Costco or BJs. They beat the pants of all of the grocery stores on most things anyday of the week. They are better than SuperWalmart & SuperTarget too.

For smaller day to day purchases, I usually go to Harris Teeter. They do cost a little more but it is worth it to me to not smell rotten meat, not having to deal with nasty bathrooms (in case I need to go :lol: ), and not to have to wait in line while pregnant trailer trash clerks gossip with their girlfriends on who the baby's daddy might be, instead of serving customers.

There is a brand new Harris Teeter and Bilo right beside each other in Rosedale in Huntersville. The difference in how the two stores are operated is mind boggling.

Actually if I have a lot of shopping to do, general stocking up, etc.  I go to Costco or BJs.  They beat the pants of all of the grocery stores on most things anyday of the week.  They are better than SuperWalmart & SuperTarget too. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here was a recent article by Leigh Dyer, comparing membership clubs, discount department stores and grocery stores. Anecdotal, but interesting.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...er/11130025.htm

It used to be that you could pay a 5% upcharge at some of the clubs, which meant as long as you spent less than $700-800 dollars there in a year it was cheaper to pay the upcharge than become a member. That apparantly has gone up to 15% though (took 'em awhile to figure that out!). But, it may still be better to pay the upcharge if you only need large quantities for your annual summer bbq or holiday time and your annual tab is only a couple hundred dollars.

I think that it would be a shame if Eastland Mall were closed. If Charlotte had more than 6 areas malls, then I would agree to it. But there's only like 4-5 areas mall in very different areas of the city as far as demographics are concerned. I use to live off Eastway Drive and Eastland Mall was the closest mall to me. The mall should be revamped.....I think they should build an extension between Burlington all the way to the old Hannaford building. That would be a great addition. They could fill it all up with urban retailers and a Macy's department store (since they might be considering moving here anyway). Eastland Mall caters to the Black/Hispanic community and that shouldn't be the grounds for closing it down. The same thing goes for Freedom Mall.

Overall, these two malls just need some revitalization (u know, the same thing they did to SouthPark that turned it into the wallet-breaker of the region) that caters to the demographics of the area they are in.

I think that it would be a shame if Eastland Mall were closed.  If Charlotte had more than 6 areas malls, then I would agree to it. But there's only like 4-5 areas mall in very different areas of the city as far as demographics are concerned. I use to live off Eastway Drive and Eastland Mall was the closest mall to me. The mall should be revamped.....I think they should build an extension between Burlington all the way to the old Hannaford building. That would be a great addition. They could fill it all up with urban retailers and a Macy's department store (since they might be considering moving here anyway). Eastland Mall caters to the Black/Hispanic community and that shouldn't be the grounds for closing it down. The same thing goes for Freedom Mall.

Overall, these two malls just need some revitalization (u know, the same thing they did to SouthPark that turned it into the wallet-breaker of the region) that caters to the demographics of the area they are in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Contrary to what some are saying, I wasn't originally saying that we should close it down because it is in a black/hispanic area because in all reality the rich snobs at South Park irritate me the most. I was only saying that the stores in that area have all been moving out on their own accord, so they must know that it is not a growing area. Eastland Mall is not the clientel for a Macy's whoever said that in the previous posting. I think a Wal Mart supercenter would do good at the Eastland Mall. That is the perfect clientel. They could shut down the HT there, and shut down the Wal Mart on Wendover. Then all those people could go to an Eastland Wal Mart Supercenter. Just a thought. Belk and Dillard's and Sear's could all close there too because no one really shops at those stores even at the upper scale malls except for at Christmas. Look what JC Penney did, they moved out of the Eastland Mall years ago.

Contrary to what some are saying, I wasn't originally saying that we should close it down because it is in a black/hispanic area because in all reality the rich snobs at South Park irritate me the most.  I was only saying that the stores in that area have all been moving out on their own accord, so they must know that it is not a growing area.  Eastland Mall is not the clientel for a Macy's whoever said that in the previous posting.  I think a Wal Mart supercenter would do good at the Eastland Mall.  That is the perfect clientel.  They could shut down the HT there, and shut down the Wal Mart on Wendover.  Then all those people could go to an Eastland Wal Mart Supercenter.  Just a thought.  Belk and Dillard's and Sear's could all close there too because no one really shops at those stores even at the upper scale malls except for at Christmas.  Look what JC Penney did, they moved out of the Eastland Mall years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No one's calling you a racist, mediamongrel. The fact of the matter is that a lot of the stores that are moving out of Eastland have racist attitudes. Belk, Dillard's and JCPenney are (have moved) because it's a black/hispanic neighborhood with a percieved crime problem. It's affected sales to an extent because white people won't come into the neighborhood as much because of the percieved problems and minority teenagers standing around (more fiction and media exaggration than truth), but that doesn't mean its a poor neighborhood.

The only big store that's attempted to adjust its merchandise mix to the new neighborhood demographics is Belk, and they've done it at the expense of some great brands that would have sold anyway. Still, it is an attempt by them to fit in, and it should be applauded. But even that has its limits, as some of the nicer stuff that gets sold at Carolina Place, for example, is not shown at Eastland. Fear and misonceptions about the market are what is killing it, not poverty.

Whoever's left standing when the "middle American" stores move out to the suburbs stands to make a lot of money. I've heard that Harris Teeter's store at Eastland is a money-maker, and if in fact a Macy's comes to East Charlotte, their smarter merchandise mix will yield them some major dough.

Here was a recent article by Leigh Dyer, comparing membership clubs, discount department stores and grocery stores. Anecdotal, but interesting.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...er/11130025.htm

It used to be that you could pay a 5% upcharge at some of the clubs, which meant as long as you spent less than $700-800 dollars there in a year it was cheaper to pay the upcharge than become a member. That apparantly has gone up to 15% though (took 'em awhile to figure that out!). But, it may still be better to pay the upcharge if you only need large quantities for your annual summer bbq or holiday time and your annual tab is only a couple hundred dollars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw that comparison. It was kinda brain dead in the way they did it and I didn't expect any better from Observer. (maybe because the grocery stores do major adverts in the paper).

The savings on detergent, soap toilet paper, wine, pet food, almost anything you want to buy is quite significant as long as you are not throwing away stuff. And if you buy one big ticket item, then you have more than made up the price of the membership. I got a set of new tires from there installed for my Mercedes that was $375 less than anyone else in town.

The Observer also forgot to mention these clubs give significant discounts on appliances, clothes, electronics, office supplies, bling bling, travel, tires, gasoline propane, and many other items not even sold in grocery stores. All covered by the same membership. If you have a household, the membership clubs beat everyone else hands down. (as long as you can deal with quantity). There are even savings by not having to go to 4-5 stores for all this stuff.

Contrary to what some are saying, I wasn't originally saying that we should close it down because it is in a black/hispanic area because in all reality the rich snobs at South Park irritate me the most.  I was only saying that the stores in that area have all been moving out on their own accord, so they must know that it is not a growing area. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This can be said for the entire east side of town. (driven down Indepenence / Albemarle in the last few years). The retailers are just chasing the people who fled to all the new subdivisions at 485. I'm afraid the east side is the next west side and will only get worse before it gets better.

• 3 months later...

I stumbled upon this article from the Business Journal, originall published in 2001 http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...ry3.html?page=1 which did give hope to making Eastland mall a "town center" of sorts for the East Charlotte community and basically things were looking up for the mall. But i think with some of the negative attention the mall has been getting (crime) and with the announcement of the newer mall in Mint Hill being built, if nothing is done then this mall is not going to survive. So what's happened since then? Has the city just ... forgot... or what.

A $100,000 study under way by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission and its retail consultant is plotting the mall's renaissance.

"What's proposed would change the entire look (of the mall), almost like a Phillips Place, but not as affluent," says Jim Roberts, president of a nearby neighborhood association. "It's going to be a town center."

"We want very much to be a part of a vital east side community, and we want to work with the city to make that happen," says Clare Calabrese, Glimcher spokeswoman. "But in terms of future plans, we just can't comment at this point."

The city's Eastland Area Study is looking at the mall and everything within a 2- to 3-mile radius. Many retailers have pulled out of the area, leaving vacant strip malls, says Tracy Finch, an urban planner for the city.

your thoughts..

I dont think anyone has forgotten. I think it will come in time, as the street car gets built and stuff. Cause how is the street car going to end at the mall if it doesnt exist? Something will be done, if the mall closes then I am sure something else big will be put in its place.