Eastland Mall Redevelopment

DigitalSky

ok.. yeah I have yet to go there, I'm not gonna have time in the near future. I'm going on vacation for a month so i'll miss the boards, don't know if i'll have internet access so if you don't see me you'll know where I am. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay buddy, have fun. The retail geeks here will miss you immensely. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that a lot of the events that now take place at Eastland's ice rink will be moved to the Cricket Arena since the Checkers are moving to the Charlotte Arena. So with less funding for the Eastland rink, I can't see it staying there too much longer. It sounds reminiscent to the Carolina Circle ice rink syndrome of the early 80-90's. It takes a lot of work and money to keep that ice rink going and I don't know if the owner is willing to keep it up for much longer now that the Cricket Arena would have a nicer venue for smaller events with the abscence of the Checkers.

That's sad that the "powers that be" are trying to put Eastland's ice rink out of commission. It's a testament to the original developer's (I think Faison Associates) vision the Eastland is still a viable retail location with all the bad press, merchant pull-outs and increasing shopping options around.

That the nature of rumors.  Somertimes they're true, sometimes they're false.  We are aware that a change may happen, so we'll stay tuned.

It's a waste if they squander that ice rink.  Those projects are hard to put together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know ppl who go to Eastland just to skate...

Not really related to anything but something cool that I found, http://www.safekidscharmeck.org/Safe%20Kid...05/DSCN0339.JPG a picture from the Eastland Mall parking lot looking toward uptown

Well the parking lot does not look too bad... I have never even seen this mall even though I have lived here for over 5 years. :)

yeah you should go, at least once, and see it and make your own judgement about it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mall itself is nice, but the crime, loitering, and the feeling of being totally unsafe are three reasons not to go there. Go after 7pm some night and see for yourself. The atmosphere isn't much better during daytime hours. As far as design and structure though, it is a decent mall.

Eastland Mall is totally fine if you go early in the day. I've been there numerous times by myself and never felt uncomfortable. Yeah, there are some groups of teenagers just hanging out, but there are a lot of families and other people shopping and it's no big deal. I think as it gets to be night time, especially on Friday and Saturday, more people are there to hang out than they are to shop.

The weekday evenings aren't that bad either. I used to park there and take the Express bus into town when I lived on the east side. Nobody messed with my car, and the parking lots were deserted.

Saturday night is a different thing.

I went to Eastland about a year ago and really wan't that impressed. I kind of though someone was goin to mug me or panhandle me while I was walking in. I truly do think Eastland will end up like South Square in Durham. I hate to say this but I only give it about 2 more years before it goes belly-up. Isn't Eastland owned by Simon?

I went to Eastland about a year ago and really wan't that impressed. I kind of though someone was goin to mug me or panhandle me while I was walking in. I truly do think Eastland will end up like South Square in Durham. I hate to say this but I only give it about 2 more years before it goes belly-up. Isn't Eastland owned by Simon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless you're walking in there upholstered with $100 bills, I think you'll be safe at Eastland, which is ownwd by Glimcher, not Simon. Simon owns SouthPark.

I was at Eastland yesterday and despite your claim, it's not a dying mall. There were crowds with shopping bags and new chain stores opening.

We talk a lot of sh*t about Eastland on this board, and Belk and Dillard's will likely high-tail it out of there soon, but really, it's not that bad a mall.

Edited by StevenRocks

I'd rate Eastland a "C" overall. If they'd spruce up the facade and convert some of the vacant parking to another use, it would not look bad at all from Central Avenue. I suspect the majority of people that go there, drive east down Central to get to it.

West from Albemarle looks tackier-- with the empty big boxes nearby, and weeds growing in their parking lots.

People make such a big deal about Eastland, but those are people who have never had a job that required them to drive into true slums. Heck, I'm willing to visit the thrift stores on Freedom Blvd to find bargains. It kind of reminds me of Fresno there. :lol:

Edited by MZT

I applied at Dillards there back in 2001 when I was trying to move to Charlotte, and even though the mall looked kind of rough from the outside inside wasn't bad. I thought the ice skating thing was cool, inside kind of reminded me of an '80's mall, but even the food court was full. I remember seeing the regular mall crowds, mom's with their small children, elderly, and some young people. I believe JCPenney was still a regular store at that point too....