500 West Trade (14 story apartments on site of former Polk Building)

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true that theyre thinking about demolishing or renovating the tax and revenue building on 500 W. Trade? Or is this just another rumor? Why isnt the Centercity inn torn down yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last word on Centercity Inn is demo in March. I talked with blvd centro rep on Thursday. I am looking forward to it! :D

Edited by uptowner

if 500 west trade is the Polk State buidling then it is on the market for sale.....i would assume that whoever buys it will tear it down seeing as it's exterior is in serious disrepair and the interior definetly is not competitive for office leasing space.....it is priced pretty much at it's land value.....

I think J&W is a likely buyer seeing as they will need more space (though they did just buy another large parcel on Trade 2 weeks ago). I personally think it is a good spot for a mid-budget hotel seeing as how close it is to Panther's games, J&W, and the future train station.

• Like 1

if 500 west trade is the Polk State buidling then it is on the market for sale.....i would assume that whoever buys it will tear it down seeing as it's exterior is in serious disrepair and the interior definetly is not competitive for office leasing space.....it is priced pretty much at it's land value.....

I think J&W is a likely buyer seeing as they will need more space (though they did just buy another large parcel on Trade 2 weeks ago).  I personally think it is a good spot for a mid-budget hotel seeing as how close it is to Panther's games, J&W, and the future train station.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a real eyesore. There is scaffolding on the Graham St. side which has just been sitting there collecting dust with no work taking place. Maybe it's holding the building up? :cry:

I've heard about J&W's interest - it would certainly make strategic sense considering the lot's proximity to its Gateway Village campus and the CityView student apartments across the street. Where are they planning on putting their proposed business school building?

I've heard that they will be building a 5 story academic building where the old trailways bus terminal was on Trade that was demolished for Cityview....I believe this is where the business school would go....then they just bought a the land between the "primitive baptist church" and the rail tracks on Trade street for "future development"....however, I believe that site will be for more student housing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another news flash...apparently the city finally decided to give the land where the decrepit Polk Building sits on Graham b/w Trade and 5th to Johnson & Wales Univ. It's a part payback (land worth $6 million) of an incentive to lure the university to Charlotte. The school said they would use the land for either another student residence, a business center, or a parking garage (hope not). The city will take care of razing the building and cleanup.

Hooray..it's about time they got rid of this eyesore!!

Edited by SmellyCat

The polk building might have been one of those old buildings to try to save to renovate if they hadn't uglified the west side of it, and hadn't tried to kill off all the pedestrians trying to reach gateway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a shame to get ride of this old building... True it is ugly now... but it does have potiental to change...

they should use some imagination and redo the building for lofts and retial on the ground level. It just needs to be cleadned up a little and they can get the lot next to it for parking.

This is not a done deal...and the city has no involvement in the deal. It is owned by the State of North Carolina....and there is legislation pending that would give the land and building to J&W...but that has to be voted on by the legislature and signed by the governor.

The building itself has fallen into such disrepair, that to remodel it you would have to go to the barebones structure and rebuild again. Since no one wants to spend that kind of money and it would be so much cheaper to build something new...then thats what will happen. So long ye olde Polk.

• 2 weeks later...

As it turns out the Polk Building may not be resolved at all. This deal is fairly complicated and now, unbelievbly involves a lawsuit with land in eastern NC. Apparently the Governer never agreed to give the school ANY money from the state and may scuttle the entire deal. Read more in this article.

Charlotte cooking school tract added to Currituck airport measure

So did I miss something?  Where do the State of North Carolina offices move to once the building is gone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw a piece this evening on news14 that the state offices have not found a new home, but they only have 90 days to move out of the Polk Building. I missed the begining of the story, so I haven't heard if the governer has passed the bill???

• Like 1