Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

Umm.. I think that link's wrong altrvr. You guys can try this link to the observer article Statues could bring area's history to life

I do like the idea of using public art to boost awareness of local history but I have to be honest when I say that 30 brass statues along the greenway won't make much of an impact. I doubt people will really ever notice these. However, I really liked the idea of putting the Capt. James Jack on horseback statue in the middle of a proposed traffic circle there on Elizabeth. I believe that one will be noticed however I doubt anyone will actually bother to find out who the mystery man on horseback is or what his contribution was to local history. They will definitely know he's there though. Personally, I would maybe like to see him in the center of a big round fountain and the exterior of the fountain can have a large engraving, possibly of his name or the 1775 date for which he his associated with. Let's face it, despite what people in this forum may do (I for one do pay attention to statues and where they are located) 97% of people probably won't pay attention to these statues unless something about them or around them is truly designed to grab people's attention.

Edited by appatone

I think this is a great idea... What a great way to show off our history. I for one would walk/jog the trail and admire the statues. I hope it gets done.

I think the uptown portion of the greenway will get alot of traffic and I am sure that once it is done... Residential will follow it all the way around uptown.

I like this project

I like the idea. I've always wondered why there are so few statues in this city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte has a love-hate relationship with its history. It usually skips the 1800s to harken back to Meck-Deck, Hornets Nest, Polk Family, Washington's "trifling" comment, and to the founding of the city and county. Then a giant leap to the era of textile mills, Duke, Latta, Ovens, etc. I sometimes forget that Charlotte has an antebellum past, and i think that is by design. Partly because northern newcomers (even the carpet baggers that came for textile riches 100 years ago) don't associate with that past. But also for the obvious reason that Charlotte leaders/boosters don't want to be associated with conferate/slave state past.

I think Charlotte has gotten to this point because it is a forward looking city. But in Charlotte, the omission of history is more noticeable than almost all other places i've lived/been. Sometimes i think it is because it doesn't have much history, and that may be little true. it isn't boston or philly and it was a small village/town until a hundred years ago. But mostly, i just think this city does everything it can to not look back.

I hope that changes as more people settle down here, and as the city does more to draw back diaspora blacks, revitalize ghetto neighborhoods, integrate economic success, and creates a place that people can respect NOW. THEN, the city can feel like it has arrived and be honest with the good and bad in its past. Statues and all.

• 1 month later...

I went to Freedom Park this afternoon and walked the length of the park and the greenway that goes by CMC. I took some pictures (below) but I had a question. I know there is all of the talk about the construction of the greenway DT, will it be attached to this greenway? I'm 99% sure that it will but I just wanted to clear that up in my mind. Today I wished I would have had a bike as I would have just went up the stairs and continued on to DT via Morehead.

post-1-1113165558_thumb.jpg post-1-1113165573_thumb.jpg post-1-1113165588_thumb.jpg post-1-1113165600_thumb.jpg post-1-1113165610_thumb.jpg post-1-1113165622_thumb.jpg post-1-1113165629_thumb.jpg

that master plan is actually pretty cool. i read the whole thing last fall.

I'm also possibly the only white man in charlotte to walk the stretch of completed greenway from belmont avenue in optimist park to cordelia park. I was in a courageous mood (and i have since done it a number of times). I must say, though, that when i noticed park signs with bullet holes in them, i had to think twice about doing it often.

From what i understand, the first priority of this greenway is to acquire property and build out the greenway section north of freedom park. There are already a number of sections done, but they will likely see some enhancements. Last year, the businesses were purchased and converted to grass along kings north of cmc. The CPCC part will likely be done in coordination with campus contstruction and Elizabeth Avenue upgrades. The Midtown section will probably timed to coincide with the Pappas development.

As far as sections with no creekside connection, you can see those on the detailed LSCG maps. There are some parts of the greenway that will be routed through city streets, but those sections will get sidewalk and bikelane enhancements. The main reason given for those would be that to follow the creek would be too expensive or damaging. I think there are explanations in the literature.

i love that charlotte/mecklenburg is doing so much to connect parks and greenways, as it creates a network of greenspace that also serves as safer routes for pedestrian and biking commutes. It will help redeem charlotte's extreme negative image in the bicyclist community.

about 12 miles each way.  It would be a great ride if I didn't have at least two SUV's yell/accost/throw things at me every day.  I swear, people get so angry simply because I am trying to do my part to help the city have cleaner air.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow. well I applaud your efforts. I'm really thinking about getting a Hybrid for my next car

out of curiosity, where do you work in pineville? Are there employers in pineville outside of retail?

little sugar creek greenway will/would really change your life, then. Not only can you avoid cars for most of your commute, but you'll be surrounded by trees, flowers, and flowing water. Quite a different life than biking down park or south.