Charlotte Greenways and Trails

Geospec

It should be noted they had to close McAlpine creek park. (naturalized creek very similar to the plans for Sugar Creek) because it rose over its banks and flooded out the park. If you remove the concrete and culverts, then you have to plan for flooding because this is what creeks do in heavy rain. And there is still lots of runoff because so much of the surrounding land in charlotte is covered by impervious surface.

Some signs in Charlotte, especially up in the Derita area refer to it as Sugaw Creek.

Some signs in Charlotte, especially up in the Derita area refer to it as Sugaw Creek.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hornets' Nest: The Story of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County

The confusion over the spelling and pronunciation of the name of this well-known Mecklenburg County creek is due to the difficulty of translating the sound of an unwritten Indian word into written English.

This creek undoubtedly takes its name from the Sugeree Indians (John Lawson's spelling) or Sugaree Indians (Douglas L. Rights' spelling). The name was pronounced Sugaw or Soogaw, according to William Henry Foote.

The predominant version in records of the Presbyterian Church, Colonial Records of North Carolina, and in old deeds is "Sugar," although such variations as "Suger," Shugar," "Sugercreek," and "Suga," have been found in various records.

In 1924 the Pastor of Sugar Creek Presbyterian Church, evidently influenced by Foote's pronunciation, had the Mecklenburg Presbytery officially change the spelling of the name of the church to Sugaw." This action seems never to have been rescinded, notwithstanding that all historical evidence available tends to prove that the original name of "Sugar" should apply to both church and creek. The Indian word from which Sugar is derived means "group of huts."

I think the article is saying that it is now complete between Freedom and Park Road Shopping Center (and i think it is also complete from Freedom to CMC).

Yes, it is complete to CMC. I walked it a few weeks ago. Will be nice when it's completed to midtown though.

the local news was claiming that the freedom to morehead section will close for a month to restore the creek bed, so i guess they are still working on many parts of it.

i suspect that the greenway will see many layers of construction over time. for example to the section through optimist park is technically open already, but they are planning many enhancements over time, such as ponds, ampitheatres, etc.

It will be interesting to see if the midtown section gets 100% of its construction at once because it is so visible, and tied more closely to the economic development in the area.... or whether they'll do this layered treatment there, too, where it first gets uncapped, then later gets plantings and sidewalks, then later gets a new creek bed, and then later gets some benches, and then later gets the more fancy amenities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

What the heck is going on off Kings right behind the Greenway? :blink:

They have been putting up what looks to be a retaining wall and now are starting a nice size building. Steel beams have been being put together to form what looks to be the start of a seriuosly nice project. It is already up threee stories and looking to climb higher.

It is right behind the site where the old Taco Bell used to be (I think). If anybody knows will they please share. My curiosity has been peaked.

One more question, what is happening on with the midtown sundries right accross the street from the Midtown Square Mall. They have boarded up the windows and the place is a true eyesore.

Certainly some developers have plans for the place since it will be in proximity to the Greenway as well as Pappas's new development of the depot design center.

Any word guys ??? ;)

A2

Edited by A219724

I saw that too, was beting someone on UP would know what it is.

I first thought it was part of the Sugar Creek project until they started putting up the steel.

That's exactly what I thought. I think that the developmers have been waiting for this for a loooong time. I know that the plan calls for shops, restraunts, and residential that will line the greenway, I just had no idea it would be so close. Nor did I think that construction would have begun so quickly. I think it could be a direct result of the Midtown project getting underway. In the end it will just be one big domino effect of development.

I think that in the end this will be very similar to the riverwalk project in San Antonio. What is really nice is that the creek runs through right by uptown. Now I know it is not a lake, or an ocean, but it is certainly water and something that could be the catalyst for big things as I think the both the city and county are hoping for.

I am really more excited about this Greenway project now that I am actually beginning to see building started. I thought we would have to wait a decade or more to see some significant, meaningful development. This is truly exciting. :)

A2

Edited by A219724

that is Watermark, the tuscan condos, discussed here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...05&hl=watermark

One more question, what is happening on with the midtown sundries right accross the street from the Midtown Square Mall. They have boarded up the windows and the place is a true eyesore.

the midtown sundries, i believe will be swallow up as part of the greenway project. it floods all the time, so the office behind midtown sundries has been boarded up for a long time.

• 2 months later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/13527397.htm

This year, the next section of Little Sugar Creek Greenway will be completed. It is the section through Optimist Park/Belmont, from Cordelia Park to 12th Street.

That section is partially complete now, but there are sections that are disconnected. For example, you can't go under the Seaboard Tracks right now between 12th and Belmont Ave. I believe that they will also build a few small lakes or ponds along that route and an ampitheater. At least that was according to the master plan. I'm not sure if all of that has funding, though.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/new...al/13659006.htm

Little Sugar Creek around Kenilworth will look very different next month, with Midtown Sundries and the Exxon removed.

It is going to be a huge deal that they are building out the greenway between Morehead and Baxter, as that will be the pride of the whole greenway system, according to the master plans.

I'm not sure what to think of the "shady plaza" :).

• 6 months later...

This great project hasn't had a post in almost 7 months so here are some pics of the section from Morehead to Woodlawn. I took a bike ride on Sunday to uptown and used the greenway to get there. Its a great ride, although if you want to go full out and pedal hard its not the best place to do that. There were alot of people out, many of which had dogs on leashes so you have to slow down. I could just see a dog darting across the path and closelining me, lol.

Anyway, these were taken on the trip back as the sun was getting low so forgive the fuzziness. Also thats why there are less people.

The path starts behind the ABC store, but there are some steps to Morehead as well.

64750361.he2s4O3F.jpg

Looking south at the hospital bridge.

64750363.JZJvTE8S.jpg

There are plenty of benches built into the retaining walls along this section.

64750365.n1FKEczO.jpg

Passing the hospital.

64750371.rRkVouDQ.jpg

The path crosses the creek a couple times with these small bridges.

64750372.eWaWShPo.jpg

A look back at the Levine childrens hospital construction

64750375.pzQdhOUc.jpg

64750376.44SkW43j.jpg

South toward the East Blvd bridge.

64750378.kPph45UH.jpg

After you pass under East the path runs into Freedom park along the main driveway.

64750382.TwQRrvxg.jpg

Then the path crosses a bridge and runs on the east side of the creek.

64750528.tYD46ie2.jpg

64750532.2qaLKhK8.jpg

64750535.K1EKFRdf.jpg

64750539.jM9fOqJV.jpg

There are a couple bridges to take you to the different sections of Freedom Park. Here's the lake, is this the one from Shallow Hal?

64750544.QYwdkCFg.jpg

At Princeton the greenway becomes a sidwalk through Myers Park for about a 1/4mile on Jameston Dr.

64750551.BEGimDzI.jpg

The path becomes a greenway again at Westfield and Irby Dr. Here looking south.

64750552.qD5IdAhC.jpg

Bridge just south of Hillside Ave.

64750559.USVLJbZ3.jpg

64750561.oKWO4Ilk.jpg

And it ends for the time being at Brandywine, behind Park Rd shoping center

64750612.cURrOaoA.jpg

Those are great pics, Mo! I haven't had the chance to go down there the whole way. Maybe my contribution will be to photograph the section completed from Cordelia Park to Belmont Ave. :)

I hope everybody posts here over the coming year as other sections are constructed.

nice shots, mo. me and my familia rode our bikes on this route a couple of months ago. we loved it... it's a pretty smooth ride (so the youngins can handle it) and very scenic. we saw ducks, turtles, and a snake.... i must be turning into a city boy, b/c it was exciting. also, there are placards with information about the construction and environment located on the park rd. shopping center side of the greenway.

does anyone know the timeline as to when the total project will be finished? is it still going all the way to the southern carolina?

when this thing is totally complete it is truly going to be amazing. i mean we spent a couple of hours on the greenway when we went... when it's finished it will be a great way to spend the day.

The next section I believe is going to be from Morehead to Baxter. Not sure when they will do the section from Woodlawn to Park Rd. I live down off Park and Seneca so I'm hoping for this section too. They may plan that section with the rebuilding of the Stratford apts since that development will be right on the greenway. Unfortunetly we haven't heard anything else about that project.