Columbia Buildings That Could Be Cool

emerging.me

The view must be pretty nice up there. I'd say just keep it as an open-to-the-public spot to take in the view. Yes, by all means, paint a million windows on that blank wall!

And maybe continue the idea with a distant skyline painted on the white wall that can be seen in the background when you are in front of the tower.

BTW, I'm thinking less in terms of food market for the firestation building now - maybe something more arts oriented (performance arts, visual arts - not crafts). But definitely an outdoor caf

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

What do you think of the architecture of the Coliseum to be honest?

I purposely pose this question here instead of in the Innovista thread, as I'm more interested in the building per se than the content. I'm sure it has the flexibility to be adapted to almost anything.

Do you like it? Dislike it? What elements of it do you like?

I personally have mixed feelings about it, and every single day I drive right by it, I can't help but imagine what could be done to it if it fell into the hands of a creative architect to rework it.

...Thinking.... a remodel job by a Gehry- or Vinoly- influenced young punk right out of architecture school with the right budget and the mission of turning it into something very unique. A statement for Columbia about innovation. Any ideas?

What do you think of the architecture of the Coliseum to be honest?

I purposely pose this question here instead of in the Innovista thread, as I'm more interested in the building per se than the content. I'm sure it has the flexibility to be adapted to almost anything.

Do you like it? Dislike it? What elements of it do you like?

I personally have mixed feelings about it, and every single day I drive right by it, I can't help but imagine what could be done to it if it fell into the hands of a creative architect to rework it.

...Thinking.... a remodel job by a Gehry- or Vinoly- influenced young punk right out of architecture school with the right budget and the mission of turning it into something very unique. A statement for Columbia about innovation. Any ideas?

I like the old Coliseum...it has a pagoda-ish feel to it and I think it could be converted into something really cool; the floor could be an ice skating rink and the concourse could become a retail area of some sort.

I like the imposing look of the Coliseum, especially as contrasted with the more human-scale of the Colonial Center. I think it's great that Columbia can have two civic structures from two different periods (not all THAT different, but you get my drift) that can play off each other like that.

:blush: I actually like the old building. Not to mention I have tons of fond memories form there. Seeing the circus, my first concert (M C Hammer) the whole family went, my first concert alone (stop the violence tour), Graduation, First Black Expo, and so many other shows. My favorite part beside the way it stands out from the rest of the buildings down there are the columns. They are beautiful. I think maybe changing the roof, and putting a few floors of offices on top would be great. Clean the outside, rework the grounds and make them more appealing, maybe turning the hall area into a food court for down town/innovista workers. I really just like the outside and the columns. I think it would be cool to have about 10+ floors added to it :yahoo: , maintaining the present columns. I dont think it is necessary to tear it down. Someone needs to make it a landmark instead of worring about saving every old house they can find. My great grandfather was the pastor of the church that once stood where the Colosium is. Maybe one of the growning mega churches could buy it and make it a sanctuary. Who knows. :whistling:

By the way there is a wonderful article in this months GQ Magazine (the one with Christina Aguilera) about designs of stadiums and arenas around the world. They make note of how the USA is behind :cry: in design with only a couple of ground breaking designs in the working. They even discuss how these new designs and concepts are being used to renovate exsisting structures. Maybe Colum-B-I-A could get it together and have one of the famed architechs design renovation plans for the Colosium, or maybe an all new arena :blush: . Take for example the planned Ice Rink going up in Lexington. Why is it so hideous :sick: ? Even if it isn't going to be in Columbia they could still have the curtiousy to make it pretty.

I believe the coliseum is not used for sports any longer and that USC is planning to use the building for something completely different. I'm just questioning the exterior look of it, and wondering how it could be changed for the better - if it really needs changing. It has something going for it, but it's very severe also.

I believe the coliseum is not used for sports any longer and that USC is planning to use the building for something completely different. I'm just questioning the exterior look of it, and wondering how it could be changed for the better - if it really needs changing. It has something going for it, but it's very severe also.

For the next year or 2, the Coliseum will continue to be the home of the Columbia Inferno. As far as turning the Coliseum into a church...please no downtown megachurches, those can stay in the suburbs. That arena in Cologne should be called the McDonalds Arena because it already has 1 golden arch!

bild02.jpg

first_mcdonalds.jpg

not knowing what the Columbia Inferno is, I googled it and found the following announcement:

Inferno To Make Major Announcement

All Fans Invited to Press Conference

May 26, 2006 - The Columbia Inferno will have a major announcement concerning their front office this Wednesday, May 31st at 4:30 pm at Carolina Wings & Rib House located at 600 Gervais Street.

The press conference will be opened to the media and Inferno fans and sponsors. All Inferno staff and our new head coach Troy Mann will be in attendance.

Season and partial ticket packages are now on sale for the 2006-07 season by calling 256-7825 or visiting the Inferno website at www.columbiainferno.com. We

Well, they've already announced that; it will be located in Lexington County, not too far from the airport. Since it says that the announcement is concerning the team's front office, it probably has something to do with ownership or the coaching staff or something like that..

Here's a building I think that could be cool:

vsion%20currently%203.jpg

:D

The Antimall is an interesting concept; I suspect it would be quite popular among college students in the area.

LOL, Krazee, do you think someone might modernize that 50's box and turn it into condos? :P

I have a question? Recently we all know that Wachovia brought out both First Union and Southtrust. Is there any activity that takes place in the old Southtrust or First Union building downtown? And what about that small tower that stands next to the old First Union building?

I have a question? Recently we all know that Wachovia brought out both First Union and Southtrust. Is there any activity that takes place in the old Southtrust or First Union building downtown? And what about that small tower that stands next to the old First Union building?

Wachovia doesn't own any of those buildings; they, First Union and Southtrust just paid to put their names on the buildings. Wachovia does have some offices in the Palmetto Center and 1440 Main.

I thought this might make an interesting thread. We can talk about specific vacant/run-down buildings in various areas of Columbia and what we think would be cool to see happen to them. I'll go first...

cu_fire_bandw_h.gif

The old fire department headquarters in the Vista could be really cool -- I know a few years ago there was some talk about tearing it down. That'd be a huge mistake. The style of the building is really cool and modern.

Reuse Idea: Small Open-Air Market + Shops: A partially open-air market would be cool in The Vista. With residential starting to really take off down there, I think the area would support it. The building could be restored and the fire truck bays left open to house vendors -- produce, art, other wares. Colorful booths would spill out on to the sidewalk. Upstairs could be residential or offices -- I'd like residential. I can't come up with any creative ideas for the tower, though. :)

It's just down the street from the new Convention Center and the future home of the Hilton.

I heard a rumor that there may be a design competition in the near future for adaptive reusage of this building. Could mean redevelopment will finally happen! :)

b

Archived