Columbia Buildings That Could Be Cool

emerging.me

• 1 month later...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ does that building have an asbestos sign on the front? there's one like it on the north side of downtown that i saw while running that looks like it needs help.

i think the NBSC tower would make a good residential conversion; put a restaurant and retail on the larger ground floor. the upper levels have a good floor plate size for residential conversion, and it's a great location, and not directly next to noisy Gervais traffic like 1200 Main. NBSC could then move into SCANA's office space when they move out.

I think I'd like to see Main between Hampton and Gervais remain largely corporate. The bulk of the residential needs to occur between Hampton and Laurel IMO.

while i think the bulk will occur there, i'd also like it to be mixed/spread out. Lady is closer to USC after all.

I wonder how well it would do, since most of the nightlife and restaurants/retail is/will be further north on Main (Hampton-Laurel stretch).

well, it would have equal access to that stretch, the vista and south of main, not to mention the whig on the same block ($2 pints on wednesday? my new night out.)

Good points. Hey, maybe it will even help jumpstart the connection between Main and the Vista. Filling those two vacant lots on the west side of the Gervais/Assembly intersection would be an excellent start.

That is such prime property, I can't believe there are 2 surface lots at that intersection.

• 4 years later...

Another one to add to this list: the Royal Crown Cola Bottling Co. building on Assembly in the Vista. Seems like it would make a nice restaurant or pub or something and those garage-like doors could open up for sidewalk seating.

5716236554_945eb19f72.jpg

There's also a cool mural on the south side of the building.

Another one to add to this list: the Royal Crown Cola Bottling Co. building on Assembly in the Vista. Seems like it would make a nice restaurant or pub or something and those garage-like doors could open up for sidewalk seating.

5716236554_945eb19f72.jpg

There's also a cool mural on the south side of the building.

I believe a restaurant is already in the works for this building. From the same owner of Garibaldi's.

I don't know if it's still affiliated with Garibaldi's, but the name of the restaurant is Cola's. They are working on it daily. On the side overlooking the corner parking lot they've painted a mural with very nice colors that look worn on purpose. The mural has a man and woman who look very ordinarily pleasant and it says "Here's to American Cooking - COLA'S. It looks good and ties the Vista into Assembly Street. It's undoubtedly going to be a Columbia original.

Archived