Southern state license plates

krazeeboi

Of course, I believe that South Carolina has a really nice state plate; Mississippi's is quite nice too. Virginia's is probably the most boring I've seen, and for the love of God, when will my Carolinians to the North recognize that we ALL know about Kitty Hawk? Get it changed already. :P

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, I believe that South Carolina has a really nice state plate; Mississippi's is quite nice too. Virginia's is probably the most boring I've seen, and for the love of God, when will my Carolinians to the North recognize that we ALL know about Kitty Hawk? Get it changed already.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol. I guess it's their claim to fame!

Well, SC has two tags floating around right now. I like them both aestheticly, but my preference is towards the newest that they began issuing in 2004.

I list the year the tag's design was first issued beneath it.

ALABAMA

al02.jpg

2 0 0 2

ARKANSAS

ar00.jpg

1 9 9 7

FLORIDA

fl03a.jpg

2 0 0 3 -reminds me very much of GA

fl04.jpg

2 0 0 4

GEORGIA

ga04.jpg

2 0 0 4

KENTUCKY

ky04.jpg

2 0 0 4

LOUISIANA

la06.jpg

1 9 9 5

MISSISSIPPI

ms03a.jpg

2 0 0 2

ms03a.jpg

2 0 0 3

NORTH CAROLINA

nc01.jpg

1 9 8 3 (old faithful :) )

SOUTH CAROLINA

sc99.jpg

1 9 9 9

sc04.jpg

2 0 0 4

TENNESSEE

tn02.jpg

2 0 0 2

TEXAS

tx05.jpg

1 9 9 9

VIRGINIA

va03a.jpg

2 0 0 3

I highly reccoment this site for all of your license plate queries: http://www.15q.net/usindex.html

Being from Kentucky I can honestly say that our State plate is horrible! What a bad motto! There is a major dislike for the "sunshine plate" as it has been named. Some have even gone as far as putting stickers over the sunshine to cover it. There is hope though, the new State logo featuring a horse (again) is on it's way. Although I will keep the University of Kentucky plate I purchased for an extra $50... well worth it!

Arkansas' is pretty bland.

Lately, though, I have been seeing a few of the relatively new Game and Fish Commision license plates in Arkansas...and they look pretty hillbillyish:

2000_plate.jpg

2001_plate.jpg

2002_plate.jpg

2003_plate.jpg

2004_plate.jpg

2005)plate_large.jpg

no offense, but south carolina's 2004 license plate is absolutely stupid. it shows total disregard for citizens who don't believe in god, a sign of a backwards place.

no offense, but south carolina's 2004 license plate is absolutely stupid.  it shows total disregard for citizens who don't believe in god, a sign of a backwards place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Considering SC's state capitol in Columbia featured three flags on it as recently as 2000, I'm surprised they would "bring up" the flag issue with their license plates.

South Carolina Capitol, 2000:

SC_CAPITAL_FLAG.jpg

Florida is also famous for what I believe is the nation's only "pro life" license tag. I don't understand why the government feels the need to be so political with license tags, but when Jeb Bush runs the state nonsense like this is routine.

indexplate.gif

Interestingly I found an article awhile ago about how Florida law enforcement was getting angry at the state for issuing so many different specialty license tags. Certainly it makes identifying license tags more difficult. Check out this ridiculous list:

Florida Specialty Tag List

no offense, but south carolina's 2004 license plate is absolutely stupid.  it shows total disregard for citizens who don't believe in god, a sign of a backwards place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps, but South Carolinians love their flag (eg- my avatar). The phrase "In God We Trust" appears on every piece of currency we have. It shows patriotism in some ways, but it shouldn't offend the non-religious any more than your average dollar bill.

Arkansas' is pretty bland. 

Lately, though, I have been seeing a few of the relatively new Game and Fish Commision license plates in Arkansas...and they look pretty hillbillyish:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Being an athiest, I don't see anything wrong with someone else expressing their religious belief...as long as it's not the only plate being forced on the SoCarolinians (assuming they can choose between the plates). If that's the case then I don't think it's an issue.

And that's exactly the case, I_got_dengue. Even though I am a religious person, I wouldn't like it if that plate was the only choice either. So I see nothing "backwater" about the plate. The ones who want that particular plate choose to have it, and for those who do not, they don't. It's as simple as that.

I find both instances of "in god we trust" to be offensive.  It doesn't help South Carolina's backwater image either.

I have a Florida Manatee plate.

manat.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you must be seeking to be offended then!

At least they have two choices....but i still disagree with it.

"Seperation of church and state" anyone?

Making a license plate available that says "In God We Trust" is not the state endorsing any particular religion, nor does it amount to the state establishing a church or religion (not to mention that the phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear either in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights). But I don't want this thread to go that route, so that's all I will say about that.

Florida is also famous for what I believe is the nation's only "pro life" license tag.  I don't understand why the government feels the need to be so political with license tags, but when Jeb Bush runs the state nonsense like this is routine.

indexplate.gif

Interestingly I found an article awhile ago about how Florida law enforcement was getting angry at the state for issuing so many different specialty license tags.  Certainly it makes identifying license tags more difficult.  Check out this ridiculous list:

Florida Specialty Tag List

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Under current law, for $60,000, a non-profit organization, whether a college alumni association or an environmental organization, etc., can submit artwork and a request for a specialty tag in Florida, and if they can provide proof that they can get a certain number of registrants, voil

I was looking at the different state tags and I'm intrigued by all the variations in alphanumeric sequences and the lengths of the license plate numbers...About 10 years ago, I remember Florida used the format "ABC 12D" on standard tags, and most recently my plate's format is "A12 BCD". I don't think I've seen a Florida tag longer than six digits or a specialty tag shorter than five.

Also, is there some sort of legal significance as to certain states having the name of the county in which the vehicle is registered on the bottom of the plate? I've always wondered this. I know that GA, TN, and some FL (and a few OH) tags have this.

I'm not sure what the use of the county name is on the tag, except maybe it might have made looking up vehicle records easier before computerized databases were available. I don't really think it's necessary anymore. Some states issue tags in batches, so some series of numbers will probably match a specific county, and some states assign each county a sequential number and that number is added to the tag number.

Florida still issues most license plates with the county name stamped on... I've seen some states that issue decals that you can stick on, and I suppose you would get a new decal if you moved into a different county. When I moved from one Florida county to another and the time came to renew my registration, I didn't have to change my entire tag.

Florida leaves the decision up to each county whether or not they issue county tags or a tag where the words "Sunshine State" appear instead. Miami-Dade County only issues "Sunshine State" tags.

Also, is there some sort of legal significance as to certain states having the name of the county in which the vehicle is registered on the bottom of the plate? I've always wondered this. I know that GA, TN, and some FL (and a few OH) tags have this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Georgia though its a state tag, you pay the taxes by county; to the county tax commissioners. Thats really the only reason. No legal significance.

Archived