Southern state license plates

krazeeboi

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive never understood Tennessee specialty plates:

plate74.jpg

plate98.jpg

My brother lives outside of Nashville and has a Florida Gators tag.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, those plates should be banned! :D

I am glad that they have plates for almost every institution inside the state...

plate7.jpg

plate8.jpg

plate9.jpg

plate10.jpg

plate11.jpg

plate12.jpg

plate14.jpg

lane.jpg

plate15.jpg

plate84.jpg

lipscomb.jpg

plate109.jpg

plate23.jpg

plate17.jpg

plate101.jpg

plate19.jpg

plate93.jpg

plate82.jpg

plate18.jpg

plate96.jpg

plate20.jpg

plate25.jpg

plate27.jpg

plate26.jpg

plate26b.jpg

plate28.jpg

plate29.jpg

Hello Everyone,

I have a question....and please don't kill me for not knowing. Why don't most of the Southern States have two License Plates like most of the states in the US?

Is it a unwritten rule or something? It just puzzles me, I mean VA is a southern state and they have a front & back plate.

This question goes out to the NC posters...When is the state going to issue a new design for the license plate? I don't mean specialized plates either, hasn't it been like 20years since the current design was introduced? I see the other states surrounding NC has all introduced new plates since 2000. What's the hold up NCDOT? :(

Hey Bronx - I don't think most of the states do use 2 tags. I live in Missouri, and we do (though I wish we didn't). But Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky all border Missouri and they don't. Illinois is the only state near us that does have a front and back plate.

Other states using two tags I can think of:

California

New York

Pennsylvania

Connecticut?

Virginia

Others? Add to the list if you wish...

Hey Bronx - I don't think most of the states do use 2 tags. I live in Missouri, and we do (though I wish we didn't). But Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky all border Missouri and they don't. Illinois is the only state near us that does have a front and back plate.

Other states using two tags I can think of:

California

New York

Pennsylvania

Connecticut?

Virginia

Others? Add to the list if you wish...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Popstar - Thanks for the info, here are the states that I know use 2 plates. Maybe it's just a Northeast thing...(excluding PA,DE)

States using two tags I can think of:

Maryland

Vermont

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

New Jersey

New Hampshire

Texas

Ohio

Nevada

Maine

New Mexico

Arizona

Connecticut

Wisconsin

Utah

Minnesota

Iowa

Idaho

Colorado

California

New York

Virginia

:)

*** Oops I forgot Hawaii

I think Virginia's the special case because of its relationship with the DC metro. Both Maryland and the District of Columbia issue front and back plates.

And since we're on the subject of license plates and variations by state, this week I learned that in California, when a license plate is assigned to a vehicle, it stays with the vehicle even after it gets sold to another owner. This is also how it is done in Europe. If I sell my vehicle registered in Florida, I can transfer the tag from my old car to the new car and avoid paying $100 for a new tag.

So in CA, the tag is linked to the car, the car is linked to the owner; in FL, the car is linked to the tag, and the tag is linked to the owner.

How does it work in your states?

Just a note about South Carolina's new "flag" plate. You have to request it, they issue the standard palmetto one unless you request the "In God We Trust" one.

At our DMV, there isn't even a picture of it up on the wall, you have to know about it, and ask for it to get it. I have a palmetto tag on one car and a flag tag on the other.

I like them both. I also think that anyone offended by them is probably looking for excuses to be offended.

On a separate note, it seems to me that Florida probably has the most specialty plates of any state in the nation. Everytime I drive around down there I see plates I've never seen before.

I LOVED Kentucky's old plate (with the clouds) and HATE their new one. Who designed that? An elementary student?

Here's a list of all of Florida's specialty tags. You can go to the webpage and click for images of them.

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/specialtytags/specialindex.html

* ENVIRONMENTAL Conserve Wildlife

* Everglades River of Grass

* Fish Florida

* Indian River Lagoon

* Large Mouth Bass

* Manatee

* Protect Florida Whales

* Protect Our Reefs

* Protect Panthers

* Protect Wild Dolphins

* Sea Turtle

* Tampa Bay Estuary

* State Wildflower

MISCELLANEOUS

* Agriculture

* American Red Cross

* Boy Scouts

* Challenger

* Choose Life

* End Breast Cancer

* Florida Arts

* Florida Educational

* Florida Salutes Veterans

* Florida Sheriffs Youth Ranches

* Florida Special Olympics

* Golf Capital of the World

* Hospice: Everyday is a Gift

* Invest in Children

* Keep Kids Drug Free

* Motorcycle Specialty

* Police Athletic League

* Police Benevolent Association

* Salutes Firefighters

* Share the Road

* Stop Child Abuse

* Stop Heart Disease

* United We Stand

* U.S. Air Force

* U.S. Army

* U.S. Coast Guard

* U.S. Marine Corps

* U.S. Navy

* U.S. Olympics

* U.S. Paratroopers

PROFESSIONAL SPORTS

* Florida Marlins

* Florida Panthers

* Jacksonville Jaguars

* Miami Dolphins

* Miami Heat

* Orlando Magic

* Tampa Bay Lightning

* Tampa Bay Buccaneers

* Tampa Bay Devil Rays

* UNIVERSITIES Barry University

* Bethune-Cookman College

* Clearwater Christian College

* Eckerd College

* Edward Waters College

* Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

* Flagler College

* Florida A & M

* Florida Atlantic

* Florida College

* Florida Gulf Coast University

* Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences

* Florida Institute of Technology

* Florida International

* Florida Memorial

* Florida Southern College

* Florida State

* Jacksonville University

* Lynn University

* New College of Florida

* Nova Southeastern University

* Palm Beach Atlantic University

* Ringling School of Art and Design

* Rollins College

* Saint Leo University

* Saint Thomas University

* Southeastern College

* Stetson University

* University of Central Florida

* University of Florida

* University of Miami

* University of North Florida

* University of South Florida

* University of Tampa

* University of West Florida

* Warner Southern College

On a separate note, it seems to me that Florida probably has the most specialty plates of any state in the nation. Everytime I drive around down there I see plates I've never seen before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IIRC, Illinois and Florida have the most specialty tags of all the states.

One of my co-workers who just moved from Charlotte to Fort Mill talked about how speedy the SC DMV's were in comparison to NC's (or as a friend of mine said, "Change your residency from SC to NC, and it all goes downhill from there," LOL), but he said the only thing he didn't like was that he couldn't get a specialty UNC SC plate, as he is a UNC grad. NC offers many SC university logos for NC specialty plates, but SC doesn't. I saw his point, I think they should as well.

One of my co-workers who just moved from Charlotte to Fort Mill talked about how speedy the SC DMV's were in comparison to NC's (or as a friend of mine said, "Change your residency from SC to NC, and it all goes downhill from there," LOL), but he said the only thing he didn't like was that he couldn't get a specialty UNC SC plate, as he is a UNC grad. NC offers many SC university logos for NC specialty plates, but SC doesn't. I saw his point, I think they should as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Gov Sanford modernized the DMV, and dropped out wait times from 2 hours (on a good day) to 20 mins.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, first time posting. I am also sick and tired of NC's license plate, that's why I plunked down the extra $20 dollars and got the Blue Ridge Specialty tag. You wouldnt believe how many people at my work have come forward to ask me where the heck I got this tag. Everybody seems to like it, if only NC would go ahead and re-design the regular tag. :rolleyes:

Archived