CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

Did you notice that they appear to be building a second one between the Hampton Inn and the Condo Building? I'm wondering if they're going to be enclosed or if they're going to remain as-is with only hand railing added? They look kinda neat as-is.

You can see part of it in this photo:

20051113095.jpg

Edited by RestedTraveler

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wub: WOW! All of those are fantastic. Thanks for taking them and posting. I have a question. To the right of the hampton inn is going to more buildings... so how are they going to be built with that road that goes into the garage? Over it? Would that not cause problems during construction (having access) or is this not where i'm looking in the picture?

:wub: WOW! All of those are fantastic. Thanks for taking them and posting. I have a question. To the right of the hampton inn is going to more buildings... so how are they going to be built with that road that goes into the garage? Over it? Would that not cause problems during construction (having access) or is this not where i'm looking in the picture?

You're looking from the right direction, yes, indeed. I was wondering the same thing. I would imagine that they'll either build the Terrace at River Place over top of this access road (which will no doubt begin with additional parking garage first) OR perhaps there will be another entry to the garage?

There's a small black sign hanging from a post just past Camperdown that says, "West End Historic District" in white letters.

There are nice stack stone signs marking the West End just off of Academy, too.

I agree. Something right at River Place just after you cross the Reedy would be very nice.

Phase 2 broke ground yesterday. Here is an article in the Greenville News regarding plans for phase 2.

RT, you might like this:

"Asked to describe the fountain, Bob Hughes said water in it will fall 27 feet over three levels. The water will appear to flow beneath patios where people are dining. At the bottom level, the fountain will mimic a railroad, with a whistle sound and a 20-foot-long water tunnel that collapses, Hughes said. The fountain also will play songs and shoot jets and balls of water, he said."

The Journal article also stated that the phase three office building is "massive." Maybe this is the "huge" project btoy couldn't elaborate on?

:w00t: I certainly hope so! That'd rock! And he said that was the more probable one... and it certainly sounds like the riverplace tower is a probable thing... :thumbsup:

The Journal article also stated that the phase three office building is "massive." Maybe this is the "huge" project btoy couldn't elaborate on? The fountain will certainly be another icon for the city. I look forward to witnessing people from near and far enjoying the experience. :D

It is not.

Actually the one I was eluding to, isn't even near there, when I can I'll tell you more. It is still not a definate.

Also, Main @ McBee is dead, the out of state development partner has been pulled out.

Could y'all (again - 73% Dixie) imagine another hotel for Phase III? :whistling:

I can't even imagine! The number of people who will be at Riverplace for work and living along with those staying at the Hampton Inn is going to be huge in the first place but ANOTHER hotel!? That'd be awesome. The Liberty Bridge has brought SO many people to the West End and there's the Ball Park that certainly will contribute... Downtown, especially the West End is going to be BUZZING with so many people. I'm excited to fight the crowds! :w00t:

It is not.

Actually the one I was eluding to, isn't even near there, when I can I'll tell you more. It is still not a definate.

Also, Main @ McBee is dead, the out of state development partner has been pulled out.

GEEEEEZ! Not at ICAR, not downtown... where could a BIG development be going!? hmmmm. <_<

Bummer about the Main at McBee... That means it's just another empty lot for now. :(

That's a bummer. I rather liked the design.

Well, if it's dead, that leaves open other possibilities. I'm a bit of a fan of symmetry, myself. I could envision that end of the block being a mirror image of the Sticky Fingers end. Same with the Bookends, actually.

That's a bummer. I rather liked the design.

Well, if it's dead, that leaves open other possibilities. I'm a bit of a fan of symmetry, myself. I could envision that end of the block being a mirror image of the Sticky Fingers end. Same with the Bookends, actually.

I'd like to see a 10-12 story building that will continue the South Main Skyline from City Hall to the Poinsett to the Liberty Building to the Carolina First Building to this one... And I guess Wachovia could be thrown in the mix then... maybe not.

Article on Phase III of Riverplace in today's Greenville Journal. Article states that they could start the massive Phase III building now but they don't have the parking for it and the city doens't have the money right now to build the parking garage.

Also, article states that phase III mave have a theater. That is not new news really though they have been saying far a while now that there could be a theater and a grocery store in that stage.