CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Riverplace

btoy

Article on Phase III of Riverplace in today's Greenville Journal. Article states that they could start the massive Phase III building now but they don't have the parking for it and the city doens't have the money right now to build the parking garage.

Also, article states that phase III mave have a theater. That is not new news really though they have been saying far a while now that there could be a theater and a grocery store in that stage.

It is a shame phase 3 can't start now, but the project as a whole is well ahead of schedule. The finished completion wasn't until 2010 originally. That will probably be beaten by a couple of years, my guess anyway. Once Gville has a grocery store and a theater complex, it will have something few cities can boast of, but all cities want.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update, gsupstate! It's changed a lot in just two weeks! It's looking great!

I'm with GvilleSC on the River House building though (I think that's the name of the one along the river that's parallel to the 55 River Place building. It just doesn't seem to have the same pop that the others do.

• 1 month later...

Sunday, January 2, 2006:

The view from along the future River Walk / Promenade:

20060101093.jpg

20060101107.jpg

Railing has been installed on the stairways:

20060101095.jpg

20060101096.jpg

The centerpiece cascading fountain between Hampton Inn and the Terrace is starting to take form:

20060101108.jpg

Some trees have been installed:

20060101115.jpg

A nice view from the Camperdown Sidewalk looking across South Main Street toward the Falls Park Entry Plaza:

20060101120.jpg

That's what I remembered as well. The developers are supposedly trying to lure a world-reknowned portrait artist for one of the studios. :)

Michael Del Priore: currently has a studio in Moonville. Has consulted with City and developers on proper lighting, etc.

The view across the Reedy River from the Peace Center is great at night as well. More residents and occupants have moved in and the lights are on over the water. :shades:

Nice pics! Speaking of good views and whatnot, I really like how the view between the Peace Center's Gunter and Peace Concert Halls is now filled by the new Hampton Inn and the rest of River Place. :thumbsup: Looks Great

I'm going to have to mosey over to the Peace Center with camera in-hand, then! :D I can't help it ... I've become a shutterbug.

That would indeed be very cool!

I do believe that there is a water and light feature that will be between the South Main Bridge and the cascading stairs that lead down to the river walk from the Townes Plaza.

Also, I know that the original Sasaki Reedy River Master Plan called for a Water Theatre at RiverPlace (see page 6 ... which, according to the renderings, appears to be located where the Peace Center Apitheatre is located now).

In my opinion, anything that is vibrant with laser lights and shooting fountains timed to music (classical or otherwise) would be a HUGE plus and a MAJOR draw for RiverPlace and Downtown Greenville. It wouldn't have to put on a show around the clock. Limited hours (say from sunset until 10pm Sunday through Thursday and sunset until midnight on Friday and Saturday, for example) would be perfect.

Here I go dreaming again....STOP IT, RT!