GSP International

gvillenative

Every time I look theres something going on at the airport. I have ready its the busiest commercial airport in SC. Can't wait to see the master plan start taking effect. Actually part of it is taking effect with the new interchange taking shape at I-85. Looks like an Atlanta style interchange from what I can see. Theres talk of terminal expansion, another runway, and even international flights in the near future. We are growning by leaps and bounds. I am proud to be a South Carolinian, and a Greenvillian.

Ya, the other runway has been planned for a long time. IT may be a while till it happens but when the created the EGSP environs Special Land Usee areas they created part of it were a second runway will be. That way Hotels, office buildings, homes etc, will not be in the approach or takeoff of the new runway.

How long they been planning the 2nd runway? I thought it was something that came along in like the last 5 or 10 years. Either way its good to see they have a plan for the growth and are not just winging it as they go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry ten years is a long time for me. I have no idea how long ago, I just meant to say that it wasn't something newly planned.

One of the biggest additions that the airport needs to make is to have a lower concourse for commuter planes, such as Comair, ASA, and Northwest Airlink, not to mention all the US Airways flights. I know that both Manchester, NH and Charlotte, NC airports have something like this, and I think Atlanta Hartsfield has one at the south end of Concourse C. Anyways, in Manchester, at the end of the main terminal there are two escalators down to a lower level boarding area. Those of us who have flown through Cinncinatti might just know how convenient this really is.

Unfortunately, there won't be a tram. I've wished for one for a while. The expanded terminal with have moving sidewalks, similar to Detroit, with the new terminal. Another airport that is similar to what the future GSP will look like is Providence, RI. I want to ask Cotuit if he can get me any pics of the airport, since that was the one I really liked, and didn't get any pics. I'll post some if I can find them.

Pics of PVD Airport pulled through Google image:

c46.jpg

2a8.jpg

0fc.jpg

The entire airport is very striking, comparable to GSP, yet much bigger, with more airlines. My uncle works for Delta at GSP, and word is that Southwest has their eye on GSP, as well as AirTran. If US Airways went under, VirginUSA would be servicing our airport also.

Number 7 is Air Cargo, around the current FedEx facility. When you taxi out on to 22R, you pass the tower, then it's all woodland for the next mile. They are some very amibitious plans if you ask me. I would expect Concourse A to be expanded first though. I don't see a new tower in the forseeable future. (5-10 yrs)

• 2 weeks later...

One of the biggest additions that the airport needs to make is to have a lower concourse for commuter planes, such as Comair, ASA, and Northwest Airlink, not to mention all the US Airways flights. I know that both Manchester, NH and Charlotte, NC airports have something like this, and I think Atlanta Hartsfield has one at the south end of Concourse C. Anyways, in Manchester, at the end of the main terminal there are two escalators down to a lower level boarding area. Those of us who have flown through Cinncinatti might just know how convenient this really is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, used to be that the entire airport was a lower concourse. I can remember how excited everyone was about the new elevated concourses when they were built. Hooray for jetways! Oh, well maybe GSP jumped the gun, but who knew regional jets would become so popular? Even today I'm relieved when I come in on a late flight and they let us walk in at the ramp level, instead of having to climb the stairs just to go back down again.

Anyone have anymore scoop on those airlines that are looking at GSP?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard that Southwest was more interested in Charlotte than GSP, but would not move there as long as USScareways continues to fly. I also hear Southwest approached GSP, but our gate fees are higher than they would like.

Man, I sure hope Independence can stay in business.

• 1 month later...

I love GSP. Living in Washington, DC for the past year, and currently in Boston for six weeks, I have taken a lot of flights to and from GSP. Through my travels, I have come to appreciate how efficient and smooth things always are at GSP. It is nice to be in a medium-sized airport that is not too big. Baggage claim is always a breeze, and parking is never a problem. As Greenville grows, I hope GSP will maintain its efficiency and user-friendly environment.

By the way, I hope Independence Air stays around for a long time. I fly them frequently, and think they have done a LOT to make GSP more competitive with Atlanta and Charlotte airports. News about Southwest and JetBlue being interested in GSP is great news as well.

I love GSP.  Living in Washington, DC for the past year, and currently in Boston for six weeks, I have taken a lot of flights to and from GSP.  Through my travels, I have come to appreciate how efficient and smooth things always are at GSP.  It is nice to be in a medium-sized airport that is not too big.  Baggage claim is always a breeze, and parking is never a problem.  As Greenville grows, I hope GSP will maintain its efficiency and user-friendly environment.

By the way, I hope Independence Air stays around for a long time.  I fly them frequently, and think they have done a LOT to make GSP more competitive with Atlanta and Charlotte airports.  News about Southwest and JetBlue being interested in GSP is great news as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! GSP is THE MOST user friendly I've found. I fly weekly with my job and GSP is tops! My favorite thing is coming home late in the evening, walking out of the terminal, and seeing the trees.....the green. It's always cool, even in summer, and it just smells FRESH and GREEN! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....... :) Such a nice way to end a hectic day!