kermit had the most liked content!

About kermit

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

30,654 profile views

kermit's Achievements

Metropolitan Area

Metropolitan Area (9/14)

1. I am certainly not suggesting CLT’s hub status is permanent, but I am not sure this is a fair comparison. PIT seemed pretty close to the stronger hub at PHL. It was also in a region surrounded by competing hubs in Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati and Cleveland (I assume this would drive down revenue). Charlotte’s relative location is pretty critical to AA operations as the airline's only viable SE connection point (Miami is too peripheral to be a substitute). I can’t see AA walking away from a Southeastern hub, and I can’t see any viable substitutes for CLT: RDU no longer has any hub infrastructure, and is a smaller market. Atlanta is clearly taken Nashville is now a tourism / LCC market like Orlando. Birmingham is still just Birmingham Memphis wishes it was Birmingham. I just can’t see a viable alternative for AA, and I would bet that United would look at building a CLT hub if something bizarre happened to AA. I have not heard how the CLT-LGA banker traffic has held up post-pandemic, but I would also cite that revenue source as something no other SE metro can match. The SC/NC - Germany corporate connection also seems like a pretty robust route.
  2. While I don't really share her opinion on these things, my daughter regularly flies home from BWI. Every trip she raves about how low stress and efficient BWI is (granted she is using the relatively quiet AA concourse), and constantly botches about CLT, crowding and inefficiency. -Every trip- she's gotta tell me how much she hates CLT and loves BWI. [my kid is 23 and rapidly approaching being a fully-formed human, but I feel like this complaining is the last vestige of her teenagedom].
  3. also much more police presence there over the past 6 weeks or so. (although they are generally just sitting in their car near the tracks).
  4. Lets be clear. If the council moves to restrict triplexes, they are showing us that they don’t give a crap about housing affordability. I sure would like them to explain where they expect the in demand housing they are outlawing to go. Spare me the ‘but triplexes disrupt the neighborhood’ pearl clutching. I live in a neighborhood with many mid-block quadplexes, they are fine and have done nothing to harm property values.
  5. Midnight Diner is opening a second location in the Old Hickory House building at Tom Hunter. Should open in the fourth quarter. This will be a good alternative to the Waffle House. https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/03/21/midnight-diner-restaurant-expansion-university.html
  6. The Royals moving is just bluster at this point. Next week (ish) KC residents will vote on a 1/3 cent sales tax increment for stadium funds for both the Royals and the Chiefs. Any talk of moving before that vote is nothing more than political storytelling. Should the tax be voted down (and there has been a surprising amount of pushback), the relocation talk will become real, however I doubt the Royals would be able to realistically threaten to move without several more years of stadium funding debates locally. At a more macro scale, if the KC stadium funding vote fails, I think that would signal that we are at the end of the era of substantial public funding for stadiums. Pushback against the ‘billionaire subsidies’ have grown substantially. Cities at the top of the hierarchy have largely shut off the taxpayer tap (see Chicago and northern Virginia). If small market cities (like KC) end this welfare system then I think public funds for ballparks are truly dead. Not sure what such a change would do to team mobility.
  7. Eric Spanberg has an AMAZING recounting of how Charlotte got the 1994 Final Four in today’s CBJ. There is very little discussion of basketball (Arkansas beat duke, and a sitting President was in attendance) but tons of discussion of how the ‘Charlotte way’ worked and how civic engagement was much more of a public-private partnership back then. This is a highly recommended read for anyone with an interest in the history of urban change in Charlotte. I was in grad school in Georgia at the time. As a North Carolinian, I remember bristling at one of the stories about the Final Four in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The sports writer unapologetically referred to Charlotte as ‘the city that always sleeps’ when describing the Walk of Champions facade created on Tryon street for the game. https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/03/21/ncaa-final-four-march-madness-college-basketball.html
  8. While its irrelevant to the history here, I can imagine residential spaces like this (small and in uptown) finding significantly higher demand once the Wake/Atrium med school gets rolling.
  9. I guess its not a surprise that the WSJ frames rent declines in Austin as bad news rather than good. https://www.wsj.com/economy/housing/once-americas-hottest-housing-market-austin-is-running-in-reverse-94226027
  10. The revival of this thread by CLTDevelopment reminded me of the uptown (and Southend) retail story we were talking about here in 2016. At the time (the dawn of Legacy Union and lots of talk about mall-like retail there) we were tracking more than 1 million square feet of new retail planned (or actively discussed by developers) in uptown and Southend. IIRC this was nearly 2/3rds the size of Southpark. I mention this because a) destination retail at Atherton Mill was clearly successful; b) Southend seems to be attracting the bulk of the new retail in Charlotte; c) the (still rumored) Wegman's power center at Clanton and d) the Trammel Crow announcement on the pipe factory land suggests we might replace the loss of what was being discussed at Legacy Union. Back in 2016 we hesitantly talked about brick and mortar retail shifting to walkable urban areas as online retail reduced the consumer need for convenience-oriented retail activities. Seems like this "retail as entertainment" model is pretty well cemented into the post-pandemic world. Perhaps we are (finally) at the dawn of the urban retail era, with Southend / Gold District poised to become the new Southpark? (or perhaps its just another false start)
  11. Yea, while the numbers are correct(ish) but largely meaningless. This is a classic example of small-base growth measurement error. [it only takes one new apartment complex to create huge % change figures in downtowns that were sparsely populated 12 years ago. In addition, the ACS data they are using has pretty shocking standard errors at this scale.]
  12. I have no idea if this is accurate, but its really a shame following what was a pretty great season for the Niners. IMO, national, but identityless conferences (this is happening to every conference other than the SEC and the Sunbelt) are going to be the thing that kills college sports for me.
  13. I just walked through this snowstorm a minute ago and called 311 (and Charmeck airquality) again.
  14. I am not trying to change your commute, I am just asking a question why you don’t choose to drive from Plaza to 277 to 77 to Clanton road? Seems like it would be the fastest route and it would solve the ped crossing problem? [back when I drove to UNCC I nearly always avoided taking 85 despite it being much faster just because I hated it]
  15. Very pleased to see that Patagonia put in an entrance from Camden. (It’s a crappy photo as I rushed to work, there is an open door under the sign)

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.