Members+
  • Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

14,201 profile views

videtur quam contuor's Achievements

Town

Town (6/14)

1. For someone who lives or works in/with/next to a structure with 7-12 levels of ramp parking such as this building above, how does that work? Are you satisfied with the function, security, convenience, access, speed of entry and exit and any other relevant issues? How does it compare to walking some distance from a street level parking location, either currently or prior? What compromises, pro/con can you list?
  2. Just as with Lottery income for the state, money is fungible. Money from the "education" lottery was supposed to go to education but the income goes to the general fund and not education specifically. There is no requirement that lottery money go to education and the education area of the budget cannot show an increase of income due to the lottery. It is all clouded in ambiguity. Thus my prediction that this money will disappear into a budget committee in Raleigh and no one but perhaps a few of those members will ever know how it is allotted. https://publicschoolsfirstnc.org/resources/fact-sheets/the-facts-on-the-nc-education-lottery/ (If we had better education we would have fewer gamblers, thus the incentives are reversed)
  3. Attendants and cabin crew are required to walk through the concourses same as passengers for all work assignments? No other access?
  4. As my insurance agent told me years ago, at any time about 25% of the cars and drivers on the road should not be there due to some lapse in licensing, inspection, insurance, tag date, illegal operation, use and contents of vehicle and other established judgment failures. At night the number increases and on weekend nights that percentage goes WAAAY higher. edit: Rideshare (uber/lyft) reduce bad driving and consequences. Including fatalities: https://direct.mit.edu/rest/article-abstract/doi/10.1162/rest_a_01385/117898/Uber-and-Traffic-Fatalities
  5. The land where North Charlotte, Optimist Park, and other designations now apply was a farm owned by the Phifer family. They sold to developers Pegram-Wadsworth when mills opened and new housing was necessary. Mr Phifer had a step daughter named Cordelia and she must certainly be the namesake of the current park. There was a spring at Cordelia Park. This is from the book mentioned a week or two ago on this site and taken from monographs from the past by the same author, Tom Hanchett. https://uncpress.org/book/9781469656441/sorting-out-the-new-south-city-second-edition/ historysouth.org and thence forward.
  6. The highway improvements have lost our view of most of North Carolina. We have interchanges with fast food and Kwikkie Marts. In my past we had tobacco farms and tobacco curing barns. We had watermelon salespeople on the roadside and card tables with fresh cut sections of melon to tempt us to stop. We had the visual squalor of rural poverty in easy view. It was the land of the octoroon by way of native descent. We had the fear of auto malfunction in territory known for skepticism if not outright antipathy of passers-through. More mobile homes than any other kind of dwelling. It was the definition of rural with a significant population, though diffuse so as to seem less than it was. Trumpland? There it is. No further explanation necessary. I say keep the existing Wadesboro route. (I almost believe this)
  7. In addition to the (somewhat) Potemkin village that was created on Tryon there was a FInal Four Extravaganza in the convention center which at that time was where Epicenter is now. I went with a 14 year old family member visiting from Florida (for family reasons) and she was excited to see the many activities such as three point contest, free throws, dunking on a low rim, plenty of fair food, a chance to see oneself on a tv screen with a network camera crew showing their equipment and other stuff I cannot recall. Something to tell her friends when she returned. It was rather fun for me also and not only because both of us had time away from the rest of the family for a few hours. Parking was plentiful as there were SO MANY more surface spaces at that time compared to now. We walked down South Tryon and it was less interesting than the Extravaganza. More adult/visitor oriented than the family atmosphere. It was an image of what could be in the future of Charlotte. As with Imaginon, Library, and Discovery Place, when children and families are connected with the fabric of the center city anywhere that is a good thing, without qualification.
  8. Meck County floor space is for unit #2 as i posted and yours is #3 unit. Small differences but both include the issue mentioned prior of a narrow and deep floor plan. edit; change wording to "deep".
  9. https://property.spatialest.com/nc/mecklenburg/#/property/343129 15 feet wide front half and 17 feet wide for rear half. 48-50 feet deep.
  10. Second Ward High School closed in 1969 and was demolished 2-3 years later. At that point the tunnel was unnecessary. Cars, concrete and "progress" won. It then attracted risk takers of all kinds. The underground passage was closed at some point in the 70's and then capped. The tunnel is there if there is reason to resurrect it. Imagine today if someone suggested to build tunnels under city streets for students to access a school. More than one tunnel and more than one school. Segregation bore strange fruit. (A shiny dime to those who recognize the allusion.)
  11. At that time the NCAA had both semifinal games on Saturday afternoon. A dozen of us gathered at a home to watch the games with UNC-Chapel Hill in one game and Charlotte in the other. The city came to a near stop that afternoon. After the controversial and extremely disappointing Charlotte loss we considered the next game coming in a short time and decided we definitely needed more beer. (insert "We're gonna need a bigger boat" gif here). At the neighborhood HT we approached the cashiers and noticed that there was nearly no one in the store. The adjoining cashiers were conversing and we heard them say "Where is everybody?" They had no idea.
  12. here is also a tunnel crossing 10th street at Piedmont school https://maps.app.goo.gl/WUAX9ycbpdN4ZPXQ9
  13. This reply and previous comment is in regard to a pedestrian tunnel that existed for decades under Independence/Stonewall from the now-former Walton building and the current Aquatic Center. Second Ward High School was on the site where the current Metro School is located. When Independence/Stonewall was "improved" in the 1950's (I think) access was provided for students and others to and from the school to allow for crossing for bus transportation and other uses. There was no other way to traverse the five-six lane stroad for nearly a block in either direction. Pure urban removal thinking. There was another one from lower Independence Park to Memorial Stadium which I believe remains and I have used in the past to access events at the stadium. The Brooklyn Village one had steps descending while the Stadium/park tunnel is a walk through.
  14. Thank you for your contribution to this discussion. Just what I wanted to know. Donors may contribute up to 6400$ per election in each cycle. Therefor, a primary election allows 6400$ per donor/per candidate and then the general election another 6400$. This information is from the Jeff Jackson donor response team. A couple/married or otherwise may double this. It is per person. One need not be a registered voter. This is a donation directly to the candidate. PAC donations are different. Numbers change with time. Several years ago the numbers were less (smaller). https://www.fec.gov/help-candidates-and-committees/candidate-taking-receipts/who-can-and-cant-contribute/
  15. Remember when the ACC championship football game was in Florida? The team participating each year did not know if it qualified or opponent until after the Saturday prior to the game. Then all fans had to make arrangements within six days and travel hundreds of miles to Jacksonville or Tampa. The Florida native fans had minimal interest in Syracuse-Clemson and after 2-3 years of embarrassing attendance and far below promised hotel/tax/tourism spending common sense intervened. I am sure that whatever Fort Worth promised the AAC, or vice-versa, each party is now questioning the rationality of a four year deal which has two more years to run. I grant that it brings several thousand visitors to Ft Worth at an otherwise dead time of year. However the embarrassment of hosting ONLY the teams/administrators/parents per team (see post from kermit above) and a few hundred spectators per game will outweigh the "benefit" of the arrangement. How many of us knew Fort Worth was the location of the tourney? The other side of that is the first two years the CIAA was here in Charlotte when all uptown restaurants and attractions learned they had to reschedule their hours and attractions due to the crowds. I know a man who owned a restaurant and he rented it to a group of CIAA people for a private closed event one night of the tournament and his bartenders said they made more money in that night than in two weeks of regular work. Extra large orders of top shelf liquor for the event. And nearly no bad behavior. edit: The first year of CIAA I went to Opera on a Saturday night uptown and viewing the situation with some perspective in time it was a humorous experience. Not at the moment it occurred.

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.