Columbia Off-Topic

Spartan

This is a thread where we can discuss anything concerning Columbia area that would not warrant a thread of its own, or something that would not otherwise be posted on this site. Please feel free to contribute as much as you like. My only request is that you don't post entire articles in this thread. A link would be much better.

I would add something with Sandhills to reflect Cola. In North Carolina, the Sandhills region goes up my way just a bit north of Pinehurst in Vass which is 10 miles north of me. The town of Vass labels itself as the "Gateway to the Sandhills. I think the most southern extent of the Sandhills is in Augusta (i could be wrong).

• 4 weeks later...

That's quite enough of that Doug. I had planned to let the first spam slide. You are welcome to continue participating here after your suspension, but the spaming must stop. Any furthur infractions of this rule will get you banned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I never really understood why people would talk about how hot Columbia supposedly was until I moved to Rock Hill. Growing up in Orangeburg, trust me, it can get REALLY hot. But since the climate tends to be a little cooler up this way (and the Upstate as a whole), I can see why people would say that.

I see that Charleston wasn't listed this year (or did I miss it?). That's interesting...

Most of the time that is true, but have you ever been in downtown Charleston when there is no breeze or the breeze is coming off the land? It can be the most oppressive place on the face of the earth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed; downtown Charleston can be a sauna when it's like that. Likewise with the rest of the Charleston area. The entire lowcountry, for that matter.

Hey, on that sweatiest list, what's with Phoenix, Vegas, Tuscon, Corpus Christi, etc. being sweaty? They're supposed to have dry heat, right?

I definitely agree with Tampa and Orlando, though... yikes. If you've been to Didney Wurl in the summer, you know sweat. Also, about five years ago, I spent about a week near Eustis, Florida (just above Orlando) with about 20-25 buds and budettes from the U.S., Canada, and England who are members of an online jazz club I belong to and I can tell ya, that was the hottest, most humid place I've ever been. It was in August.

That's a big golfing area, and I don't know how anyone could play golf or tennis in that stuff. Unless it was at night, and even then, you'd be soaked. But daytime is oppressive for sure.

Most of us stayed at this motel near the club founder's house, and at 9:00 in the morning, you'd literally be covered with sweat just walking from your room to the lobby where the coffee was.

Agreed; downtown Charleston can be a sauna when it's like that.  Likewise with the rest of the Charleston area.  The entire lowcountry, for that matter.

Hey, on that sweatiest list, what's with Phoenix, Vegas, Tuscon, Corpus Christi, etc. being sweaty?  They're supposed to have dry heat, right?

I definitely agree with Tampa and Orlando, though... yikes.  If you've been to Didney Wurl in the summer, you know sweat.  Also, about five years ago, I spent about a week near Eustis, Florida (just above Orlando) with about 20-25 buds and budettes from the U.S., Canada, and England who are members of an online jazz club I belong to and I can tell ya, that was the hottest, most humid place I've ever been.  It was in August.

That's a big golfing area, and I don't know how anyone could play golf or tennis in that stuff.  Unless it was at night, and even then, you'd be soaked.  But daytime is oppressive for sure.

Most of us stayed at this motel near the club founder's house, and at 9:00 in the morning, you'd literally be covered with sweat just walking from your room to the lobby where the coffee was.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, I'll speak for Tucson and Phoenix. My brother lives in Tucson and I always seem to have conferences in the Phoenix area. The heat is dry in Arizona, yes, but it can be much worse in its effect on a person. I was in Tucson in MAY for my niece's college graduation and the 95 degree heat with no humidity exhausted me. I don't like the heat here, but it doesn't dehydrate you like the desert heat does. Also, 110 or 115 is awfully hot in the middle of summer out there.

MY Favorite Slogan:

"Columbia, great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess that was an attempt at humor. Columbia is not designed to be a resort, it is a center for business, education and government. I wouldn't want to live in a resort for a myriad of reasons. Even though Columbia isn't a resort, there is plenty of stuff for a visitor to do from the Columbia Art Museum to the Public Library to the Horseshoe, the State House, the State Museum, a great parks system and a national park. We also have our share of great restaurants and great nightlife. How many cities, resort or otherwise, have 2 huge downtown-area entertainment districts the size of Five Points and the Vista?

Let's not jump on Debi so quickly... why not focus on the "great place to live" part. That's very affirming (that Columbia is a great place to live), IMO.

I happen to think it's a pretty cool place to visit, too, but maybe there are things Debi could tell us as to why it's her favorite slogan.

Debi, is it the summer humidity, or that plus how confusing the layout can be to newcomers?

We should be open to new ideas and constructive criticism here, folks.

Waterparks... that's what it is... Columbia doesn't have any downtown waterparks!

:rofl:

Let's not jump on Debi so quickly... why not focus on the "great place to live" part.  That's very affirming (that Columbia is a great place to live), IMO.

I happen to think it's a pretty cool place to visit, too, but maybe there are things Debi could tell us as to why it's her favorite slogan.

Debi, is it the summer humidity, or that plus how confusing the layout can be to newcomers?

We should be open to new ideas and constructive criticism here, folks.

Waterparks... that's what it is... Columbia doesn't have any downtown waterparks!

:rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I enjoyed my time in Columbia. I hope I get to live there again some day. Its just a great city. It has the feel of a large city without actually being that large.

Are they still talking about building that waterpark in Irmo?