Boulevard House

twoshort

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry twoshort. I know of the building you speak about (I love that building), but I know nothing about it other than it has quite an active retail scene going on.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The other day I saw a woman leave the apartments and unlock the door to the salon.. so I assume she's the owner of the salon and lives in the aparments too, I guess I could ask someone from the salon..

The story, as I heard it, is that it used to be a house of ill repute. The old train line used to pull in there on its way to the amusement park at Reeds Lake. Gentlemen looking a different sort of amusement would stop there on the way.

I used to know the salon owner, I still do but I rarely see her these days. A while back the owner of the building and all of the tenants threw a huge party - it is a really nice place. Whoever did the work there did an amazing job.

I think I am thinking of the same building.

I used to know the salon owner, I still do but I rarely see her these days.  A while back the owner of the building and all of the tenants threw a huge party - it is a really nice place.  Whoever did the work there did an amazing job.

I think I am thinking of the same building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe I'll drive by tonight and get the address so I can find out who the owner is...

I have done research on Uptown GRs historic landmarks:

Boulevard House

Built: 1870, by Adeline Carroll and Samuel Edie

The land on which the building sits was owned by Julius Abel, the first practicing attorney in Grand Rapids (Abel predates even Calkins of Calkins law office fame who came to the city two years later). It was known as the halfway house because it is halfway between Reed

I have done research on Uptown GRs historic landmarks:

okoranjes,

Great job and welcome!

Joe

Boulevard House

Built: 1870, by Adeline Carroll and Samuel Edie

The land on which the building sits was owned by Julius Abel, the first practicing attorney in Grand Rapids (Abel predates even Calkins of Calkins law office fame who came to the city two years later).  It was known as the halfway house because it is halfway between Reed

Archived