Annie Lytle School

Greetings. I have lived in Jacksonville going on five years now and I have grown to love the architecture. One building in particular is the Annie Lytle School. I love to photograph the building inside and out, but I don't want to it illegally. Who would I have to contact to for permission to do that?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, yes. You would most certainly need to get permission to go inside.

The Lytle school project has been "proposed" for over 5 years at this point, but nothing has happened. This is very understandable, considering the building sits in the shadow of a huge half-completed flyover-ramp, and there will be major road construction in its backyard for at least the next 5 years.

Last time I saw the building, there was some sort of banner. There might be contact information on the banner.

Failing that, public records show the building is owned by "FOUNDATION HOLDING IV INC " and the mailing address is:

4595 LEXINGTON AV

JACKSONVILLE , FL

32210-2058

I hope that helps. I'm too lazy to search sunbiz.org for you. But sunbiz might help you find out who owns "FOUNDATION HOLDING IV INC." Then you could cross-reference with the phone book to get their phone number.

Welcome to the forum Doppelganger!

Like you, I love that building as well. Unfortunately, unless you are a serious and prospective buyer of the property, the owners would be very unlikely to allow you or anyone else to go inside. Obviously the building is not safe, and they would be liable for anything that happened while someone was in the building.

Maybe the Historical Society has some interior shots from when the building was still occupied.

I wish the city would buy it and convert it to a community center, which would make a nice addition to Riverside Park.

The Annie Lytle school was going to be converted to residential condos in about 2000. But, with the I-95 construction, I believe they didnt sell the requisite number so they never started the project. Then, the "engineers" and "city planners" decided that under the expressway was a great place for a fenced in retention pond/mosquito breeding ground (I smell an environmentalist) and this probably killed it completely since it cut off the school from Riverside Park on the other side of I-95. This was simply a stroke of city planning genius which basically further cut off the Brooklyn area from Riverside/5 Points. While all this is reversible (what they should have done beneath I-95 is put in parking and/or a place for a market and retention ponds should never be anywhere near downtown), it will not happen under the current mayor.

Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately, I am mere college student lacking the funds to buy that place. But, I enjoy history and architecture. I've been meaning to check out the archives of the JHS for interior shots of while it was in use. I've seen a few from 1920 of the front. It's amazing how much the area's changed during that time.

-RiversideGator

Yeah, you gotta love the brilliance of the City Planners. Sometimes I wonder if their motto is: "If it's not assbackwards, we ain't buildin it!" :D

And now they've built a self-storage place nearby buy.  Yuck.  That building would be incredible--in a different location.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could that be done (I mean at what cost; anything is possible)? It is amazing the engineering feats that are accomplished today, but being an older structure, it seems like it would be cost prohibitive.

I have never seen the building up close, but it sounds like a great building. even if it can't be moved, It could be a cool project once brooklyn's ball gets rolling

• 8 months later...

The Annie Lytle School Property is owned presently,by Foundation Corporate Holdings IV. Likely they would not allow you into the school because of its condition, which is Structurally Stable, but dangerous for many reasons, including that the Roof of the Auditorium collapsed several years back and is on the floor.

I had permission to go in along with an employee , to video and photograph most of it, inside and out. So id be happy to share that with anyone who would want to see them , but im here to tell you the deterioration, and vandalism is terrible, and that is putting it politely. Still, I hope the School will be saved. Im sure most people know by now that a Developer is looking to put a Retirement Facility on the site. Not sure that that is a good idea. Either way the School needs to remain and be restored.

Regards :blink:

:) I also wanted to comment on one of the users statement about the expressway cutting off Riverside Park.

That happened (Im pretty sure) back in the early 1960s. it has been changed and widened over the years up to present date. I dont know this to be fact, but Id speculate that contributed , at least in part , to the decomissioning of the School.

I also belive the School was origonally known , besides Public School Number Four, as Riverside Grammar School. To my knowledge, it always was an elementary school. It was renamed Annie Lytle Elementary School after one of its former Principals.

In any case, This beautiful building has been vacant for the majority of my life, and it is truly a shame. For had it not, it would have run into little if any problem with redevelopment (Other than the expressway being there, which it is doubtful, at least as long as Vehicles and roads exist , that it will ever go away). I never could understand why the merger was designed the way it was, or more to the point, WHERE it is. It just seems that no matter what they do to improve this Intersection, it will never keep up with a rapidly growing flow of traffic. Just an opinion.

There is, as most people know , a new section of over pass, which appears to be a merger from I95 N to I 10 west, and it also appears that some of this new expressway addition will be right over the left hand corner of the Front of the Building. Even so, I think it would be a sad thing to see it demolished. I guess we will soon know its fate.

I read the idea on here about the community center. Fantasic Idea! I would like to know some other opinions/suggestions as to a reuse for this School. It is just my personal belief that as luxury condos, BECAUSE of the west (Front ) view, and the continuous traffic there, One would likely never get the plan off the ground. I belive that Idea was tried twice. I dont think its a bad idea, just that no one would pay a large amount for condos. a Non-profit type setup with loft-style apartments also sounds appealing. To me at least. I would have no problem with the location.

Alot of issues are stacked against Annie Lytle School. Condition, Expressways, Lack of Frontal area , and Costs to rehabilitate. But the building is Sound as far as i am concerned , from a structural standpoint. After all , it is made mostly of Brick, Concrete,and Steel. so in terms of standing, the roof could fall in, as it already has in the Auditorium, but the remainder of the Structure could easily see another 100 years. It certainly, given the type of service it was designed for, DESERVES a facelift. not a wrecking ball.

Some folks say its a good thing they dont build things the way they used to. To me this structure is nothing short of a testimony to the Architect and builders who made it reality. It has stood through 89 years, had very little in the way of maintenance over the last 30+ years and in Dire need of attention and Rehabilitation, but as far as collapsing? Not unless a wrecking ball does it. Which I for one sincerely hope, NEVER EVER HAPPENS!!

I don't know if anyone has seen it, but Foundation Corporate Holdings IV's appeal of HPC's demolition denial is being heard by the Land Use and Zoning Committee at the Tuesday 7 Feb. meeting:

52. 2006-24

RESO-Q Concerning the Appeal of Final Order of the Jax Historic Preservation Comm denying application for COA-05-792 filed by Foundation Holding IV, Inc., seeking demolition of the Annie Lytle School property at 1011 Gilmore St, Pursuant to Sec 307.204, Ord Code; Adopting recommended findings & conclusions. (Dist 9-Fullwood) (Scheffer) (LUZ) (2 Ltrs of Opposition on File)

LUZ PH - 02/07/06 at 4:15 P.M.

1. 1/10/2006 CO Introduced: LUZ

1/18/2006 LUZ Read 2nd & Rerefer

2. 1/24/2006 CO Read 2nd & Rereferred; LUZ

• 5 months later...

The Annie Lytle School Property is owned presently,by Foundation Corporate Holdings IV. Likely they would not allow you into the school because of its condition, which is Structurally Stable, but dangerous for many reasons, including that the Roof of the Auditorium collapsed several years back and is on the floor.

I had permission to go in along with an employee , to video and photograph most of it, inside and out. So id be happy to share that with anyone who would want to see them , but im here to tell you the deterioration, and vandalism is terrible, and that is putting it politely. Still, I hope the School will be saved. Im sure most people know by now that a Developer is looking to put a Retirement Facility on the site. Not sure that that is a good idea. Either way the School needs to remain and be restored.

Regards :blink:

Hi, I am really interested in seeing your photographs of the Annie Lytle school (especially the inside). Can you send me a link to a gallery? Thanks!

Archived