WaterFire

CtownMikey

ugh i g2g to class in a sec but I was wondering about waterfire. I know that some of you lovely people:) have mentioned that it may be smart to end the entire event before it wears itself out.. and maybe bring it back once and a while. Also, some mentioned that we need a replacement for that attraction. Any opinions on how some sort of underwater light show would be? Maybe a light show that told a story, or a show that would relate to some music playing?? good/bad?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that editorial, and I heard what he was saying to a point, but I don't think we should be putting out the lights on WaterFire just yet. It sounds like we may see WaterFire expanding and evolving to include areas south of the Crawford Bridge as the 195 relocation project progresses.

Perhaphs, the city needs to start considering ideas to sort of reinvent waterfire.  In other words, add attractions that draw people downtown that work in synergy with waterfire.  That way when the novelty wears out, then there will other reasons to come downtown

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right. one waterfire will last a lifetime - unless there is new and interesting things to do.

don't hold back guys n' gals. I know you have ideas!!!  how about an underwater light show during the waterfire!!... just install some deep yellows and oranges and have them glow :)        spill those ideas!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The last thing we need are lights that highlight the murky, brown water! LOL

But i agree, Waterfire alone will eventually need a boost, that's why I think it is imperative to increase the attractions- perhaps a market with stalls and artsists selling their creations could be created by shutting down a few streets in the center core of the city. I find it pretty funny how so much of the art in this city that calls itself a hotbed of artists goes unseen. Sure we have numerous galleries, gallery night, and random scupture throughout the city but lets use the event that has been able to expose the masses to "art" in a big way to expose the masses to all of the smaller, less established artists waiting for a break.

Also, I think it would be awesome if the parking lots of the buildings lined up along the river just south of old stone square (fronting on south main) could be put to better use. Restaurants should spring up in the basements of these buildings (just like at the old railroad station buildings) with terraces/patios overlooking the newly extended river walks.

Other ideas (to bring people downtown - period)... fountains - many more fountains. Providence has a dearth of fountains and could use a few more, on a grand(er) scale. In Lisbon on the site of Expo 98, there are these wacky fountains shaped like volcanoes that erupt every few minutes sending loads of water 20 feet into the air. Not saying these would be perfect in Providence, but something simple in function yet still spectacular in effect would be great.

Perhaphs, the city needs to start considering ideas to sort of reinvent waterfire.  In other words, add attractions that draw people downtown that work in synergy with waterfire.  That way when the novelty wears out, then there will other reasons to come downtown

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, that will never happen because the artist, Barnaby Evans, not the city, conducts this event and I'm sure that he dosn't want this work of art turned into some kind of freak show to take away from the experience. And because this is a work of art it cannot be duplicated any where else in the world, unless Barnaby gives his permission. Pawtucket tried it a few years ago without asking and he straighten them out. Eventually he did allow them to do it. Or was it Westerly. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I believe as long as people keep coming to see Waterfire, it should stay as is. Sure, as residents, we've seen it, and perhaps the drama has worn off for some of us, but like a long running theater production, people will keep coming to the city to see it, especially if people keep talking about how wonderful and different it is.

Maybe Boston should shut down the swan boat rides in the Public Gardens, too :blink: And Orlando can shut down Disney :sick: If a city has an event that puts it on the map, and people come from all over to see, you don't shut it down just because the locals are getting bored with it, especially not in a city the size of Providence that is still getting its footing.

I think WaterFire has reached a point where it has become more than itself, it's a part of the soul of the city, like the Swan Boats in Boston, or the Central Park Carriage Rides in New York. It's hard to create something and have that fire strike (so to speak) where something is so special and so unique and so perfectly suited to it's environment that it becomes part of the city's very being. We have carriage rides, and duck tours, and gondolas, just as many many other cities do, but WaterFire is Providence. And even if Barnaby Evans lisenced it to a thousand other cities, it would still be of Providence.

We can hope that it evolves, and that other things eventually join it, some will succeed, most won't. The southern end of the Providence River provides a new venue for interactive art, I think it is ill suited to WaterFire as WaterFire needs the intimacy that the narrow upper reaches of the rivers provide.

Putting lights in the river may only serve to highlight it's murkiness, but I think some sort of water and light show is the direction that something on the southern end of the river should look to.

I like everyone's response.. I've only been once when I was around 9 or 10 i think.. I'm 18 now. sO I am excited to go this summer ( i hope i end up going :P ) But i was just questioning the entire event due to an article in the paper :P dont think i hate providence or anythin :(

Maybe Boston should shut down the swan boat rides in the Public Gardens, too :blink:  And Orlando can shut down Disney  :sick:    If a city has an event that puts it on the map, and people come from all over to see, you don't shut it down just because the locals are getting bored with it, especially not in a city the size of Providence that is still getting its footing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a debate in Boston now on these tour buses wanting to add more buses. The city dosen't want them because of traffic.

The best way to grow WaterFire is to let it GROW. Barnaby got jealous of the carnival that was growing up around the events, so he and Cianci stomped out the buskers and vendors that came to the scene. Providence has no street life, and Waterfire was just starting to create it. I say let the buskers and vendors come back. Licensing these guys is just a shake down. We need a more libertarian philosophy here. Let the street scene happen!

The best way to grow WaterFire is to let it GROW. Barnaby got jealous of the carnival that was growing up around the events, so he and Cianci stomped out the buskers and vendors that came to the scene. Providence has no street life, and Waterfire was just starting to create it. I say let the buskers and vendors come back. Licensing these guys is just a shake down. We need a more libertarian philosophy here. Let the street scene happen!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Barnaby is an artist and no artist wants his/her work of art, especially public art turned into a three ring circus. Instead, add more works of art. Yup, always trying to make a buck on something.

The fact that the circus grew so quickly shows how hungry people are for it. We need street life, buskers, venders, performance of any and all types. In Europe, this is common. In the US, only a few cities have a scene of any depth. Providence has the oportunity and people are ready and willing. I like it.

The fact that the circus grew so quickly shows how hungry people are for it. We need street life, buskers, venders, performance of any and all types. In Europe, this is common. In the US, only a few cities have a scene of any depth. Providence has the oportunity and people are ready and willing. I like it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you completely Lova.

I just got back from Buenos Aires, and the city is filled with street fairs and activity, performers of all kinds (including a full blues band just wailing away on the street) vendors, etc. Its a sponteneity that gives it real flavor.

I'm all for it.

I just got back from Buenos Aires, and the city is filled with street fairs and activity, performers of all kinds (including a full blues band just wailing away on the street) vendors, etc. Its a sponteneity that gives it real flavor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's all very chicken and egg though. You need people on the streets that will pay the buskers to make it worth their while to be there. But at the same time, the buskers and the atmosphere they create is what is going to make people want to be on the streets.

I think we need the retail to flesh out on Westminster and other parts of Downcity, and the new residents that will come with the condos (especially at OneTen) will help add more people to the street. Maybe then we'll hit a critical mass where it makes sense for buskers and other street activity to flourish. More food vendors during the summer would be a good thing too. We need more then Dell's Lemonade too.

You can't really depend on WaterFire nights alone to make the street scene come alive.

Buskers and vendors feed on a critical mass of pedestrians. Waterfire has it, Westminster does not. Also, the city has to understand that licensed venues are not the answer to every social activity. Regulation is taxation, friction, constriction. It's getting much too tight in RI.

Waterfire can 1) grow street life and 2) acclimate the public. If buskers know they can come down to waterfire and make $300, they will do it again, and maybe even move closer to the action, then try Wesminster on a Friday, Weybossett on a Thurs... Enrich the environment.

I'd also like to see full moon parties, maybe at Waterplace or India Point. Just provide power for bands and let it happen.

I'd also like to see full moon parties, maybe at Waterplace or India Point. Just provide power for bands and let it happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WaterFire proves that people want to be Downcity. Ways need to be found to entice them at non-WaterFire times. I think the good news is the mayor totally understands that we need arts venues be it shows at PPAC, or a guy playing the harmonica on a corner. Problem is the city is desperate for money, it's really tempting to try to squeeze 10 bucks out of that harmonica player if you can.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived