Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the same Wachovia tower?

After hedging on plans for months, Childress Klein Properties has filed a rezoning petition for a 34-story, 750,000-square-foot building on Wachovia Corp. land uptown. The last high-rise office completed here was the Hearst Tower, done in 2002.

The 1.3-acre site at West First and South Tryon goes by the simple moniker of 428 S. Tryon St. Childress Klein officials did not return phone calls, though it's hardly worth being coy at this point.

The filing shows space for a theater, restaurant and offices for the Wake Forest University Babcock Graduate School of Management. Wachovia is expected to be a significant tenant. Childress Klein seeks a slight modification in the urban mixed-use development zoning that would relax retail requirements for the building. Officials with the development company want to count Wachovia's The Green mixed-use project across the street toward meeting the city's goals for retail space

From the Charlotte Business Journal, September 3, 2004

Press release:

Wachovia's First Street Project in Uptown Charlotte includes an office tower (1), condos (2), theater (3), park (4) and art museum (5).

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Wachovia Corporation today announced plans to build a dynamic multi-use development featuring an urban park, 30-story office tower, visual arts museum, performing-arts theater and condominiums on South Tryon Street in Uptown Charlotte.

The project will bring together green space and additional cultural and educational venues along with commercial and residential development.

I saw a picture of the site with geometrical shapes representing the buildings. i can't copy the picture in here though. the Condos are bound by 400 S Tryon, Tryon st., and 1st street. The theater is on 1st, behind the condos (separate building). Across 1st st. in the parking lot and on top of the current Firestone is the office tower. Bechtler stands alone between the office tower and Church St. The tower and Bechtler seem well back off Stonewall. There also seems to be a lot of room for more development there.

From the article, this would be of similar design to Three Wachovia, no big suprise there.

However, I do like the fact that they included the Bechtler in this plan, plus both this and the Performing Arts Theater will both be stand alone facilities. The Performing Arts Theater was even described as having a "wow" factor, which is something that I think Charlotte needs more of. Another thing I like is the park, which appears to be an extension of The Green providing a link, lined by condos, from the proposed arts facilities to the Convention Center.

I am excited that it includes a park extension, and that the bechtler will be in a separate area.

I also like that it will be 30-35 stories, although it is just a square rather than a rectangular footprint, so it will be much smaller than 3 wach, from what i can tell. I also like how they leave some area for duke's eventual expansion.

wachovia_map.gif

I really hope that the footprint shapes evolve away from this. the octagonal museum seems a little weird to me, and uses a lot of prime land very inefficiently. I don't get why the museum and theatre can't share a building.

I think that you will see the office footprint change to be rectangular with the long end extendeing all the way from 1st to Stonewall.....they have predicted this building to be 900,000 sq. ft. and it would need pretty large floorplates to not be any taller than 35 stories.....for comparison, 3 Wachovia is 32 stories and about 850,000 sq. ft.

I think that you will see the office footprint change to be rectangular with the long end extendeing all the way from 1st to Stonewall.....they have predicted this building to be 900,000 sq. ft. and it would need pretty large floorplates to not be any taller than 35 stories.....for comparison, 3 Wachovia is 32 stories and about 850,000 sq. ft.

I'd assume so......it wouldn't surprise me if the Betchler ends up attached to 4(?) Wachovia or even across the street attached to the theatre.....I am quite curious is the "future development" area is still marked for Duke?

I sure hope the design isn't too similar to 3 Wachovia, too much of the same thing is bad.  And yes, the octagonal museum looks retarded.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, a red octagon means a full stop, not "slowed down". that will be one point on your license.

Archived