Hillmount Condos

twoshort

It looks like there's more condo's coming. I thought just like Union Square got its own thread, this project should too, for those that are interested. Here's what we know so far:

"... a complete overhaul of the facility [Hillmount Apartments]. Basically we are only keeping the shell...which is good because those corner windows rock, and the views of the skyline are stellar. There will be new hallways, lobby, laundry facilities and landscaping. There are also, one, two and two with balcony units available. I am not sure the starting price for those yet..."

The website will be up soon and it's http://www.hillmountgr.com

With studios starting at $65k and no income restrictions I think this is a project. While I think losing more apartments in the 'downtown' area isn't so great, the price point seems to be perfect. What does everyone else think?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it. I have always thought those buildings were semi-neglected. I think it will further stabilize the neighborhood and allow the "creative class" w/out big nest eggs to buy into the wave of downtown development.

I am also a proponent of apartments downtown, but I think the Hill can easily absorb the loss of these units.

Joe

It looks like there's more condo's coming.  I thought just like Union Square got its own thread, this project should too, for those that are interested.  Here's what we know so far:

"... a complete overhaul of the facility [Hillmount Apartments]. Basically we are only keeping the shell...which is good because those corner windows rock, and the views of the skyline are stellar.  There will be new hallways, lobby, laundry facilities and landscaping. There are also, one, two and two with balcony units available. I am not sure the starting price for those yet..."

The website will be up soon and it's http://www.hillmountgr.com

With studios starting at $65k and no income restrictions I think this is a project.  While I think losing more apartments in the 'downtown' area isn't so great, the price point seems to be perfect.  What does everyone else think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...but I think the Hill can easily absorb the loss of these units.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're correct. I can't wait to get more details about this project. It is a cool old building and it definately needs a lot of improvements (have you been in that elevator?? :blink:)...

I was going to mention that. It is the elevator of death ride. Scarier than anything at Cedar Point. ;)

Joe

I think you're correct.  I can't wait to get more details about this project.  It is a cool old building and it definately needs a lot of improvements (have you been in that elevator?? :blink:)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the price is right, and that the neighborhood will benefit. I've always liked the hillmount building, but admittedly it does need work. I'll be sad to see the apartments pulled off the market, but for the price they're asking I assume many of the tenants will be able to buy in. Cool.

I lived in the Oakwood Manor, next door to the Hillmount, for two years (2000-2001). Does anybody know if that building is being converted into condos, too? When I lived there, both buildings were owned and managed by the same property management firm out of Detroit.

The apartments in the Oakwood are MUCH nicer than the ones in the Hillmount. I'd love to get on a list for a condo in the Oakwood ...

I lived in the Oakwood Manor, next door to the Hillmount, for two years (2000-2001). Does anybody know if that building is being converted into condos, too? When I lived there, both buildings were owned and managed by the same property management firm out of Detroit.

The apartments in the Oakwood are MUCH nicer than the ones in the Hillmount. I'd love to get on a list for a condo in the Oakwood ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Oh, and we have the Oakwood property next door which is also receiving an overhaul." acarlton, on the Parade of Downtown Living thread, who works for Second Story Properties.

"Oh, and we have the Oakwood property next door which is also receiving an overhaul."  acarlton, on the Parade of Downtown Living thread, who works for Second Story Properties.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beleive they're going to be townhomes.

Thanks. I should have dug deeper into the other threads before posting.

And acarlton, if you are still with us ...

Can you tell us when these overhauls are slated to begin, and roughly how long they will take? (If acarlton answered this question already somewhere else I am never posting here again.) :wacko:

Thanks. I should have dug deeper into the other threads before posting.

And acarlton, if you are still with us ...

Can you tell us when these overhauls are slated to begin, and roughly how long they will take? (If acarlton answered this question already somewhere else I am never posting here again.) :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, he didn't mention timeframe. But it is included in the Downtown Living Parade, so it must be soon.

Come on Woz, we wouldn't want that! :) I had heard that it would be soon after the closing of the deal. But that is just from my anonymous source on the beat. ;)

Joe

(If acarlton answered this question already somewhere else I am never posting here again.) :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After that, it will depend on how much interest we have. I believe the time frame is 30 days to see if we will buy and go completely condo. Then we will give the option for renters to buy their units.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So how is this working, Hillmount gave you three apartments to rennovate to see if you can get interest up? If there's not enough interest you wouldn't continue with the project and there would just be 3 really nice apartments at hillmount?

So how is this working, Hillmount gave you three apartments to rennovate to see if you can get interest up?  If there's not enough interest you wouldn't continue with the project and there would just be 3 really nice apartments at hillmount?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, two short...I got that wrong. :blush:

We do own the property, but the current renters will get 30 days to decide if they want to buy their condo and then priority will go to general public to purchase.

I hope that clears things up.

We do own the property, but the current renters will get 30 days to decide if they want to buy their condo and then priority will go to general public to purchase.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh.. so they get the offer to buy their apartment before we do. I understand now. Well keep us updated with assoc. dues and dates and all that good stuff when it comes available. I would guess i'm not the only one interested on these boards!

What do you all think? Should Oakwood be renovated apartments, condos or a mix????

Please let me know and why you think this?

If you have any additional suggestions for this property. I am curious to know. I would love feedback on our projects.

-anne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My vote is a 2/3rds mix, 2 parts condo 1 part apartment.

Anne,

I would definitely keep atleast some apartments, higher rent, for the so called "creative class" who can afford the payment but don't want to make such a big committment or may be moving into the city.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But what about those individuals who are not in the "creative class"? With all the expensive condos, and oh-so-trendy loft apartments going up everywhere, what are those individuals who lived in places like this supposed to do when there affordable home is swept away so that more "trendy" people can have an "urban lifestyle". If you add this with the push by some hill homeowners to make more homes in the area single family only, you may find many of the hills residents having no choice but to move to Rentwood. I hope that doesnt happen. :unsure:

But what about those individuals who are not in the "creative class"? With all the expensive condos, and oh-so-trendy loft apartments going up everywhere, what are those individuals who lived in places like this supposed to do when there affordable home is swept away so that more "trendy" people can have an "urban lifestyle". If you add this with the push by some hill homeowners to make more homes in the area single family only, you may find many of the hills residents having no choice but to move to Rentwood. I hope that doesnt happen.  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you. There needs to be more affordable living like Hillmount. If you make condos, keep them affordable. Not everyone can afford the $322,000 price tag of the monroe center condos or 1300/mo for a one bedroom apartment. But there are plenty of people who want to live downtown at a reasonable price.

There's also enough low income housing (the lofts, the globe, weston, etc) downtown. Just some average priced condos and average priced apartments would be quite refreshing.

Oh, and if you could keep your completetion date off until, say, June of next year, right after my wedding, that'd be great. Thanks! :D

There's also enough low income housing (the lofts, the globe, weston, etc) downtown.  Just some average priced condos and average priced apartments would be quite refreshing. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. There are now plenty of downtown options for those with the money. There are also a lot of option for those without, i.e. Dwelling Place. Yet, there still isn't much in between -- where I could only assume is the greatest potential demand.

I would love to see a project that could support the range of income levels all under the same roof.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything about the Hillmount project lately? I've been trying to arrange a tour of the model(s) and no one calls me or e-mails me.

Or perhaps they are on vacation??

Budgie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the email of the person who answered all my questions: [email protected]. He's very helpful. If you want the pricelist, I have it and I'll email it to you, drop me a note at [REMOVED]. The assoc fees are supposed to be .20 - .25 /sq ft. I'm sure it will be .25. :) There is around 50 reservations so far I hear.

I took a tour of them, they're pretty nice. Not exactly what I expected, but I don't know how do define that. The studios are tiny and I can't imagine paying $70+ for a one small room. The bigger places were pretty nice, nothing too extraordinary.

www.hillmountgr.com is up now too...

Archived