Atlanta City Profile

ironchapman

BrandAtlanta.jpg

328739023_49d7594380.jpg

FactsFigures.gif

Names:

• Terminus, 1836-1843 (end of the railroad line)

• Marthasville, 1843-1845 (in honor of the then mayor, and also the ex-governor, daughter)

• Atlanta, 1845-present

Nicknames:

• The A-T-L

• The Horizon City

• The Capital of the South

• The Phoenix City

• The City Too Busy to Hate

• Hotlanta

• A-Town

• The Big A

• The New York of the South

• The Big Peach

Political Status:

• Seat of Fulton County

post-3864-1119663370_thumb.jpg

• Capital of Georgia

334729963_c7e70d8339.jpg

• Current Mayor: Shirley Franklin

Franklin.bmp

• The city is typically Liberal or Democratic by USA standards.

Other Vital Stats:

[*]Largest city in Georgia

[*]Total Area: 133.1 sq. mi.

[*]Land Area: 132.4 sq. mi.

[*]Water Area: 0.7 sq. mi.

[*]City Limits:

post-3864-1133393433_thumb.jpg

[*]City Population: (2005 ARC Estimate) 442,100

[*]City Population: (2000 Census) 416,474

[*]Metro Population: (2004 Census Estimate) 5,034,362

[*]Metro Population: (2000 Census) 4,247,981

[*]Density (City): 3,321/sq. mi. NOTE: This is using the ARC's 2005's estimates for the City of Atlanta

[*]Time Zone: Eastern, UTC-5

[*]Latitude: 33

post-3864-1138578241.gif

post-3864-1138578241.gif

post-3864-1138578241.gif

Edited by ironchapman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recall seeing the Georgia Dome and the Atlanta Skyline on the commercial for that new movie rebound. The one that stars Martin Lawrence. You should add that to the movies section. And also add "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" by Tyler Perry. And I think that list of hotels, could have been done a tad better. I would have added more of Atlanta's "better hotels". Other than that, you di d a great job.

Edited by CarolinaLove

I like your profile, I might use it as a resource sometimes. I have something to add to the trivia section.

Paramount at Buckhead is the world's largest structure built with tunnelfroms

Marriott MArquis is the Largest ( not tallest ) convention hotel in the southeast

The Georgia Dome is the largest cable suspended dome in the dome, bigger than New Orlean's Super dome in terms of area.

• 1 month later...

As corny as it is, that "Blue Collar TV" show should maybe be listed as being filmed in Atlanta. They shot it at the Fox, and probably still do, if it's still being aired.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed it was originally shot in Atlanta, at the Alliance theater. It is now being shot in Athens' Classic Center.

According to IMDB, it is still being filmed. Even if the WB drops it, I'm sure Comedy Central will pick it up, they seem to enjoy that show.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are more information on Atlanta Metro:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

According to the 2000 census, the 28-county Atlanta, Georgia metropolitan area has a population of 4,247,981 making it the eleventh largest metropolitan area in the United States. The 2004 Census estimate shows 4,708,297 people living in the 28-county area, moving it up two spots to the ninth largest metropolitan area in the United States. (By contrast, Atlanta proper is the 41st-largest city in the country.) The combined land area of all 28 counties is 21,965 km2.

According to the ranking of world cities undertaken by the Globalization and World Cities Study Group & Network (GaWC) and based on the level of presence of global corporate service organisations, Atlanta is considered a "gamma" or "minor world city".

Here go a list of the counties in Metro:

Barrow County

Bartow County

Butts County

Carroll County

Cherokee County

Clayton County

Cobb County

Coweta County

Dawson County

DeKalb County

Douglas County

Fayette County

Forsyth County

Fulton County

Gwinnett County

Haralson County

Heard County

Henry County

Jasper County

Lamar County

Meriwether County

Newton County

Paulding County

Pickens County

Pike County

Rockdale County

Spalding County

Walton County

I got more information on the metro, and the cities in metro, i want to put the pic of the metro on here, but i don't know how to.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm a bit late on this, but you did a great job, ironchapman! The profile was very resourceful

How long did it take you to get the whole thing put together?

It took about two days of research and five days to get the original one put together (because i had not had my 5 day editing restriction removed at the time).

It's taken longer fo rthe other ones becaus ei haven't had to worry so much about time restirctions now that I am an editor (I get to edit any of my posts...no matter how old, delete any of my posts, and delete any of my own threads). If only I was as fast at puttin gthe Charlotte one I'm currently working on together.

BTW: I will be updating this profile with new graphics and info every now and then, so look out! I just did a pretty big update on it today when I put in that "Atlanta: Opportunity, Optimism, Openness" thing up there at the top of the thread.(along with several other things)

HAHA! My 500th post in the Atlanta forum of UP!

Edited by ironchapman

I noticed your census estimate said Atlanta had 423,000 residents as of 2004. While it is only an estimate, and could be higher, that still seems rather low. If that trend continues, it will be a slowdown from the 90's when the city gained 22,000 people. That shows it to only be a gain of 6,000 over 4 years. Another 4 years, in 2008, if allowing another 6,000 gain, would be a total of 12,000. Add another 2 years to 2010, and half of 6,000 = 3,000, and that gives 15,000 or so people. Big drop from the 22,000 added in the 90's. Do you think the city could be slowing down? I sure do hope not.

^Someone else would be better ualified to answer that than I am, but here's a UP thread that might be of interest to you:

Fulton County Appeals Census Estimates

BTW: Thanks for the stats, Metroinspect! I'm sorry, but I just now noticed them :blush:

Edited by ironchapman

• 3 weeks later...