Downtown Grand Rapids Development Updates

GRDadof3

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting looking at FSU's downtown campus Master Plan, I wonder how Neumann Smith plans to take several floors off of the bottom of the Commerce Building (pg 33) :blink: Or is it just bad graphics? And it looks like they have their eyes on the old bus lot between Ionia and Division (North of the Commerce Building). That is really where City/County should go.

BTW: It is agonizingly slow pulling up that file on my dial up at home. I hope it is faster for you guys.

awesome update.

also, budgie, that's hilarious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you. I was hoping to add a good satellite map to show locations, but couldn't find a good one without paying for it.

And Budgie, the fax and copier are there to compliment the giant microfiche viewer at Division and Lyon ;)

Thank you.  I was hoping to add a good satellite map to show locations, but couldn't find a good one without paying for it.

And Budgie, the fax and copier are there to compliment the giant microfiche viewer at Division and Lyon ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The one towards the end of the Master Plan document?

Very spiffy! Where are all the fiche?

B.

THe inside of that building is actually quite nice. Its got lots of oak doors, and looks more like a turn of the 20th century building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are we talking about the same building? I was referring to the tall brown building on the south side of Lyon. If it has lots of oak doors, etc., that's great. It sure could use a facelift, though.

B.

Are we talking about the same building? I was referring to the tall brown building on the south side of Lyon. If it has lots of oak doors, etc., that's great. It sure could use a facelift, though.

B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the giant brown building :P It wont be torn down unless GRCC decides to finally hitch up and move to east beltline.

wheres that site located?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the Western American Mailers building just North of the Brass Works Building and Blue Bridge's office. My guess is this building will get the ax to make way for their new project. I don't know if it is historically significant at all. I think it is mainly a big garage.

Not sure where this post belongs, but I think it would behoove the City to keep its downtown sidewalks clean. I hear that they wash the streets in Paris every day. Here, they make a feeble effort to sweep up the ciggie butts, but it leaves MUCH to be desired.

You just wouldn't believe what I've seen outside Drink bar on my way to work. DISGUSTING.

B.

Does that mean no moat with alligators? ;) Sounds good, and getting wacky Zawacki out of there will definitely improve development possibilities in Monroe North.

Joe

Here is what I found out from Blue Bridge on this project:

They just have conceptual "napkin" drawings right now.  Project will consist of entire block including GR Spring, and will be multiple building footprints, one possibly for a condo "tower" with views of the river, but they don't know yet.  Won't break ground for at least 9 months.  WAM building will go.  They have also optioned a parking lot used by GR Spring, with GR Spring moving in about 2 -3 years depending on finding a suitable new location for them.  Main thrust will be RETAIL, restaurants and office space initially.  Not taking reservations yet (just thought I would ask ;) )  They did say the condos will NOT be like Moch's project (didn't elaborate).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does that mean no moat with alligators? ;) Sounds good, and getting wacky Zawacki out of there will definitely improve development possibilities in Monroe North.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe somebody from Blue Bridge checks in here occasionally. If so, I would like to see maybe something like these please ;)

PentRow2Crop.jpg

Addison3Crop.jpg

screen_184812.jpg

50210_Lf.jpg

84732_Lf.jpg

Most of these are Torti Gallas out of Maryland and RTKL BTW.

And somebody should do something with 802 Monroe and take that ugly skin off of it. I wonder if any of the original brickwork is still there:

B1AD2D70F6F411D99564BF8118F73B1D.jpg

They had ground-breaking for the new Spectrum Cancer Pavilion today! Wow, that was fast. I found this eye-popping section in the Press story:

The $78 million price tag for the pavilion is more than double the estimate in 2003. And the facility's size tripled.

Earlier plans that called for a 45,000- to 60,000-square-feet facility to cost $35 million were shelved for several reasons, said Matt Van Vranken, Spectrum's president of hospitals.

First, the original plan didn't move Spectrum toward its goal of being a center of excellence like the Mayo Clinic, Van Vranken said. "I said we need to make sure we are creating something that reflects our desire to take on responsibility for cancer care in this whole region."

OK, I'll put the link in:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...69795693370.xml

177AC5C0F7BA11D9AE7742A818F73B1D.jpg

Archived