Development of Celanese Site

MZT

http://charmeck.org/Departments/Planning/R...ns/2004-121.htm

Any comments on this one? I notice that it's now on it's 3rd submission. Still appears to be unapproved, I think because CDOT is not satisfied with the street alignment and only one exit for 5800 daily trips.

Just eyeballing the plan, I get the feeling there ARE too many angled turns getting in and out of there.

Rezoning.org says that one of the early stipulations for rezoning was no commercial on the site. I think that's too bad... a development of this size could have at least had a little mixed use in it. A few sandwich shops and a laundry or videostore or something. It might have helped reduce the number of trips outside the development to have a few simple things... nothing fancy that would draw excess traffic in.

I'm kind of surprised that Easlan didn't just buy one of the houses on Edgewater to make a 2nd exit. I mean, $140K for a house is chump change compared to all the other costs here.

But I'd get tarred and feathered by my neighbors for suggesting it. :D They definately do NOT want connectivity.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celanese Acetate is a German corporation. They're still around and have a plant in S.C. off I-77.

The site for redevelopment was on the outskirts of Charlotte in the 1950s. Residential use encroached up to and around it. So rezoning to some form of residential makes more sense than industrial, now. The city views this as an infill opportunity.

Celanese Acetate is a German corporation. They're still around and have a plant in S.C. off I-77.

The site for redevelopment was on the outskirts of Charlotte in the 1950s. Residential use encroached up to and around it. So rezoning to some form of residential makes more sense than industrial, now. The city views this as an infill opportunity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh ok.. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Charlotte,+N...15044&t=h&hl=en theres a link to a view of the site. (also see the proximity to Edgewater as you mentioned and the deal with one entrance)

Mixed-use would definately have been a plus for the site, especially considering the size and the oppourtinuty of what could have been done with it.

Ahh yeah the Montclair neighborhood. That Celenese location is a prime location for a good infill project. I used to live on Burnley (shown on the map of that link) and it is a great neighborhood. And it is potentially within a long walk to the LRT. This area might become one day a very nice close in neighborhood.

It is getting voted on tonight (I know it's not the regular zoning meeting, but it's on the agenda anyways). My problem with it is that is puts 100% of the traffic onto Archdale, only allowing a POSSIBLE future connection. Also, retail is specifically banned from the project. I have issue with that because that is why there is so much traffic in Charlotte in the first place....single use zoning. Now these several hundred residents will have to get on Archdale and drive at least a mile in either direction to purchase even basic items.

It'd be quite a bit of hoofing it to make it to the LR station from here... You'd be walking uphill, and if you owned a condo deep in the back of the complex, that's another half a mile. My gut feeling is that it's juuuuust outside practical range.

• 2 years later...

Warming up a really old thread... this is "Park South Station" now. It's starting to take shape after being cleared land here for so long. They look like decent townhomes, Ryan did put a generous amount of face brick on a lot of them to help blend in with the surrounding 1960s neighborhoods.

They're kinda tall and narrow looking though. The visual thing that bugs me most is how the windows are close together with the fake shutters almost touching each other.

2251648962_11dc6cf9a9.jpg

2250853485_cba191a59e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived