The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

With soooo many projects nearing completion by the end of the year or early next year, I thought it was time to look ahead and wonder what gets built next.

Here's a list of some of the planned/proposed highrises in order of probability we will see them rising in the near future.

Note: I took the liberty of adding a "generic" rendering for the projects that have yet to release one based on the type of building and the no. of floors.

What gets built? What's your favorite project and would most like to see rising soon?

Twelve Centennial - Downtown, 37 stories, residential/hotel, (Phase I scheduled for August groundbreaking)

centennialhill.jpg

845 Peachtree - Midtown, ~40 stories, two towers, residential (hoped-for groundbreaking this year)

Not actual rendering

NovareBacksrteet.jpg

generic rendering

Beltline/Trammell Crow - Midtown, ~25 stories, two towers, residential (planned start by years end)

Not actual rendering

beltline.jpg

generic rendering

3344 Peachtree - Buckhead, 47 stories, mixed use, office/residential (planned construction start in '06)

3344peachtree39xw.jpg

Gallery - Buckhead, 26 stories, residential(already started some site prep)

Not actual rendering

0216sky2.jpg

50 Allen Plaza - Downtown, 37 stories, office (seeking lead tenant)

50_allenplaza_main_2.jpg

Block 3 - Downtown, ~50 stories, residential

block3.jpg

Atlantic Center Plaza III - Midtown, ~30 stories, mixed-use, office/residential/hotel(proposed)

ACPIII.jpg

615 Peachtree - Midtown, ~40 stories, residential

not actual rendering

Gen2.bmp

generic rendering

Onyx - Midtown, 15 stories, residential

72onyx.jpg

Midtown Square - ~30 stories, mixed-use, office/residential/retail (long-term planned)

MidtownSquare2.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*wavin at cosmoboy* Hey you!

As far as the new development, I am so excited.

I can answer a few of your questions cosmoboy. Martinman will correct any mistakes or unanswered locations.

1) Twelve Centennial will be blocks from Centennial Olympic Park and the new aquarium. In the same basic location as Allen Plaza.

2) "Novare/Backstreet" will be right across the street from the recently topped out Spire development by the same developer. Right on Peachtree St. It will be where the old Backstreet Club was located. The same block as the Starbucks Coffeehouse.

3) Beltline/Trammell Crow will be on the eastern edge of Piedmont Park close to the Piedmont and Monroe Dr intersection.

4) 3344 Peachtree will be right on Peachtree Rd across from the Atlanta Financiasl Center and on the same block as the under construction 600 ft Terminus building and the 29 story Realm condominium. If I'm not mistaken, that one block will have over a half billion dollars of development either under construction or approved/proposed. That's alot of dollars for such a small space.

5) 50 Allen Plaza will be on Ivan Allen Blvd. A short walk from Centennial Olympic Park. It will have a promenient site overlooking the downtown connecter.

6) Block 3 will also be steps from Centennial Olympic Park and the Georgia Aquarium and World of Coca~Cola.

7) Atlantic Center Plaza will be right where One Atlantic Center (the IBM Tower) and it's "stubby mini me" are located at the intersection of 14 St and Spring St. Steps from the Four Seasons, the Arts Center Marta Station, Woodruff Arts Center and Colony Square. If my memory serves me correctly, it will be on the southwest corner of the intersection.

8) 615 Peachtree is right outside the CBD. If the Novare Backstreet location is 845 Peachtree, that would put this building right near the Bank of America building. Wow, the skyline is starting the fill in. Let's hope this one is a go soon.

9) Oynz??? I don't rightly know.

10) Midtown Square will be right on Peachtree at the corner of Peachtree and 10 St. It would share that intersection with the Wachovia building, The Margaret Mitchell House Museum and the Federal Reserve Bank building.

I hope that helps put it in presepctive Cosmoboy. From the development, it seems that a lot of residential is scheduled for the Olympic Park area. This along with the new aquarium and World of Coca~Cola should make for a vibrant area. :thumbsup:

Wow, well why on Earth would the Onyx development be possibly cancelled. That is a great intersection....plus its right on the park. I few months ago I was on Piedmont heading north and when I came to that intersection I was pleased with the amount of pedestrian activity. There was such a mixture of people that it warmed my soul. City living at it's finest. I know that area neighborhoods are wanting to keep heights more manageble. I wonder is that a problem with the Onyx.

As far as 615 Peachtree, if I am hearing you correctly, that's the lowrise building across the intersection from the Bank of America Plaza. If so then I reallllllllllllllllllllllly would like this built. It's right up the street from the highrise under construction one block down. That will bring more pedestrian traffic down Peachtree. Also that's a great location because there is a Publix right down North Avenue in the old Rio Mall location.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The story on Onyx is that the rise in the cost of construction materials, steel in particular, is making it difficult for the numbers to work with their target price range.

You know I just realized that 615 IS right across that intersection from B of A. Lets hope Cousins gets it done. :thumbsup:

The story on Onyx is that the rise in the cost of construction materials, steel in particular, is making it difficult for the numbers to work with their target price range.

You know I just realized that 615 IS right across that intersection from B of A.  Lets hope Cousins gets it done. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see where this will cause a problem. I had not thought about that. The price point will be very important. There is such a thing as pricing yourself out of the market. Those trying to sell upper level homes in the Mayfair can vouch for that.

I didn't know that Cousins was behind 615. Wow. I have heard that since the "marriage" between Cousins and The Gellerstedt Group that many planned residential towers are going to get built. It is probably the reason they combined in the first place. Cousins is desperately trying to get into urban residential development. This bodes well for Block 3 as well. I guess it's a wait and see game. Either way I am excited about these changes. I remember 15 years ago when I would "sneak" downtown so I could be hip. Walking along Peachtree once you passed 4th St till you got to maybe 12th St was a very interesting walk to say the least.

I remember there was a seedy motel in the exact spot where the Spire is now. Dare you walk any of the side streets west of Peachtree. I did once just to explore and I saw things that I would have thought to never see with my own eyes. I guess that was part of the grit of the city center. Now when you walk that same stretch you see coffee houses, street level cafes and other retail. What a change has taken place.....and that side street that I mentioned is so totally different now. The Bellsouth Midtown complex really changed alot of that.

With the addition of the Plaza Midtown, the Centergy Complex and the conversion of that medical building to dorms will bring critical mass around the Midtown Marta Station. How exciting! :w00t:

I forgot one.... I've read that they've already started preliminary site work for this.

(Actually their are other proposals out there but who can keep up with them all. I know of one more residential proposal for Buckhead.)

Gallery - Buckhead 26 stories, residential

Could look something like this(Novare's Tampa project and IMO their best looking tower)

0216sky2.jpg

Onyx is actually on NPU-E's agenda for the Aug meeting. I believed they are seeking a zoning variance for the site. They came before us about a year ago just to tell us about the project, but then nothing ever happened. It looks like they may be moving forward.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info

At the beginning of this thread I asked what do you most want to see being built soon or what's your favorite development. I've been thinking about that and even while I'm really excited about the activity all the Peachtree st resdential projects will bring, and though I'm very anxious to see Ivan Allen Blvd fill in, and I think 3344 Peachtree is one hot building, I was always most intrigued by the appearance of the Atlantic Center Plaza III drawing.

I stumbled on the website of the architect for the building and now I think this may be my favorite project.(At least until we know more about some of the others) Heres what I found at the website...

Located in mid-town Atlanta near the cultural district on a sloped site, this mixed-use project will be the third high rise development at Atlanta Center Plaza. Residential condominiums are located above a 500,000 square foot office building, which is located at the corner of West Peachtree and 14th Streets. A 200,000 square foot hotel at the lower end of the site brackets a 60,000 square foot fitness club and six-level parking garage between. A stepped plaza at the corner marks the office entry. Parking is accessed on three sides of the site and service along the alley edge. The facades are made of clear vision glass, pattern glass, and metal panels.

atlanta-front.jpg

atlanta-bldg2.jpg

atlanta-bldg.jpg

Checkout the website and see the kind of buildings they've done. :thumbsup:

http://www.garyhandel.com/

Guys, how did you find all these new constructions? I found an interesting site that seems to cover some of the atlanta condominium market, but it does not have have enough information: http://www.myurbancity.com/, but then again it seems that the site has just launched! (Seems promising though)

Anyways, these are pretty cool projects all around Atlanta! Are there any interesting sites to read?

Btw, 3344 Peachtree - Buckhead looks really nice!

that one block will have over a half billion dollars of development either under construction or approved/proposed. That's alot of dollars for such a small space.
- It must be really expensive!

Guys, how did you find all these new constructions? I found an interesting site that seems to cover some of the atlanta condominium market, but it does not have have enough information: http://www.myurbancity.com/, but then again it seems that the site has just launched! (Seems promising though)

Anyways, these are pretty cool projects all around Atlanta! Are there any interesting sites to read?

Btw, 3344 Peachtree - Buckhead looks really nice!

- It must be really expensive!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to Urbanplanet Highriseman. We are glad to have you with us.

In answering your question about your quote above:

There is an excitment building in construction and development in the Buckhead district of Atlanta. With the announcement of 3344 Peachtree St, projects under construction or recently completed projects, there will be a little over one half billion dollars of private equity investment within 2 blocks on Peachtree Rd, all in less than three years. These projects include:

Terminus office 31 stories 600ft under construction

Realm residential 29 stories under construction

3344 Peachtree mixed use 47 stories 660ft proposed

Intercontinetal Hotel hotel 22 stories completed

This information was given via the press release of 3344 Peachtree.

The two blocks are on this map here:

Picture of Map

The star is at the intersection where Terminus will be. It will be on the northside of the intersection. 900 feet north on Peachtree Rd is where 3344 Peachtree will be located. Right across from the Atlanta Financial Center. The Realm will be right in between these two behemoths. The Intercontinental is on the southside of Peachtree Rd @ Highland Dr.

I hope this puts it in prespective for you.

Welcome to Urbanplanet Highriseman. We are glad to have you with us.

I hope this puts it in prespective for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting stuff Lady Celeste! Thank you!

It's good to hear that our city is taking shape in such a wonderful way. I hope all these buildings, and a more condensed population will bring a lot of pedestrian activity, and will somewhat reach the european life style, where there's "people noise" even late in the night.

Thanks for all the good info! Keep us informed :-)

Just got back from the NPU meeting (plus a couple of drinks in the Highlands with friends). Anyway, Onyx plans on breaking ground in September. Revised plans are for 18 stories with 115 condos and 3 retail spaces on the ground floor. Just wanted you to know!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great news! I think this is a nice looking project and it helps to fill in what is already one of the most lively areas of the city. Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

Btw there is another condo project very much in the works. It is a joint venture between Wood Partners and Hendon Properties, will be on 16th street near Atlantic station, is planned to be 30 stories with 400 units and 45,000 sf of retail, including a grocery store. That would be Midtown's 3rd urban grocery store (I'm not counting the Piedmont Publix or Whole foods).

Talk about a next wave :o

An "insider" on another site that used to work for the city, mentioned that he is aware of 8 residential projects in the works for Midtown between 10th and 14th alone (south of 14th and north of 10th) None of the projects have made any kind of public announcements at this point, so they would be in addition to those we already know about.

Just confirms my belief that the developments we've seen so far in midtown, which many people thought would saturate the market, were only the beginning.

Talk about a next wave :o

An "insider" on another site that used to work for the city, mentioned that he is aware of 8 residential projects in the works for Midtown between 10th and 14th alone (south of 14th and north of 10th)  None of the projects have made any kind of public announcements at this point, so they would be in addition to those we already know about. 

Just confirms my belief that the developments we've seen so far in midtown, which many people have thought would saturate the market, were only the beginning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can believe at least 66 percent of that being built. I was in that area a month or so ago and I saw several prime sites on Spring and Piedmont between 10th St and 10th and 14th. Some of them visible from the downtown connector. I told my husband as we were driving by "hun, it's only a matter of time before these are gone." I think the quick sale out of 1280West has convinced developers that this area is prime. Even I was also surprised that it sold out so fast though.

This area is right across from all the shopping of the Atlantic Station and an easy walk to the High Museum of Art, the Arts Center Marta station, Colony Square, The Four Seasons and Piedmont Park so it only makes sense from a development point of view.

The slogan for this area should be "10th to 14th, in between it ALL." :thumbsup:

All this development is just to good to be true! I don't at all expect hardly half of this is going to take shape. Plus, how many more people are really going to decide to move down here. And, you know once they build the condos/apartments their prices are going to be inflated. What you need to start with is a revitalization effort. Just driving down Spring I see all these parking lots, old crummy buildings, and hardly any shrubbery or trees. I would've expected all these developments to take place closer to Piedmont or on Peachtree.

All this development is just to good to be true! I don't at all expect hardly half of this is going to take shape.

I could see 4-5 midrises getting off the ground. Martinman's source did not specify if they would be highrise, midrise or rental. There is a pent up demand for medrise development.

Plus, how many more people are really going to decide to move down here. And, you know once they build the condos/apartments their prices are going to be inflated. What you need to start with is a revitalization effort. Just driving down Spring I see all these parking lots, old crummy buildings, and hardly any shrubbery or trees. I would've expected all these developments to take place closer to Piedmont or on Peachtree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oddly enough you said Spring St.....Plaza Midtown is just south of 9th street on Spring St and it has sold out. They aren't even finished building the two 20 story towers yet. Development takes time. Some owners of these parking lots aren't selling and you can make them. Development happens in stages. If you are old enough to remember what that area looked like in the mid 80's, you would see that it's a world of difference. Also on Spring St is Midtown Lofts and the Centergy/GA Tech complex. There are street level retail and an art gallery there. Hardly the desolute area it used to be.

Also, if you are a developer, you go to where you can get the best price. It makes more sense to do a midrise a block or two away from Piedmont or Peachtree because of land prices. You have to go taller the higher your land price is. Remember they are in it for the money not for beautification purposes.

Archived