Michigan Central Station PART III of VI

wolverine

Welcome to Part III of IV of the MCS tour. Last time we left off on somewhere in the attic of the atrium, so I guess I'll start the third installation from there. :)

Part I

Part II

Part III - You are Here

Part IV

Part V

Part VI

mcs053.jpg

The way down wasn't much fun either. In fact, once down to that brick wall, I had to jump down onto the floor below which was also the plaster ceiling of the room beneath that. :blink:

mcs054.jpg

I had forgotten that long vaulted hallway on the main floor, so I'll post a few photos of that since I promised this would be a complete tour.

mcs055.jpg

Can someone knowledgeable about building materials fill me in on what happening in this photo. Does this kind of marble crack and peel at the surface or does it seem painted over at one time?

mcs056.jpg

The elevator lobby on the first floor is amazing. It must have been something to see this room intact at one time. It appears the elevators had a rough ride down. :wacko:

mcs057.jpg

Looking back down the vaulted hallway. It appears it was a retail arcade at one time.

mcs058.jpg

Showers for passangers.

mcs059.jpg

Looking back out

mcs060.jpg

Entry area

mcs061.jpg

Me representin' my Pistons. This photo was taken awhile ago. Be nice and don't repost or edit this photo in any way. I don't typically like posting my photo on the internet. But I figured I'd show what "wolverine" looks like.

mcs062.jpg

Closeup of column detail

mcs063.jpg

Now we'll go upstairs, but not this way.

mcs064.jpg

Oh, how convenient.

The sign is actually left over from the filming of the movie "The Island." Now showing in theaters.

mcs065.jpg

That's definitely not the most dangerous thing in this building.

mcs066.jpg

Encore for the first floor. I promise I won't show any more photos of it.

mcs067.jpg

The stairway makes a bit of adjustment on the 3rd floor. Actually it's the 2nd if you call the floor below it the mezzanine. After this, I won't be keeping track of floors. I can't tell which floors are which. Not to mention my photos are taken out of order since I went to some floors on the way up, and different ones on the way down.

mcs068.jpg

Appears this room was "modernized" at one time.

mcs069.jpg

The reason why these large concrete beams exist is to carry the load of the closely spaced columns above over a wide gap. That gap is the ticket area with the columns which is directly below.

mcs070.jpg

Looking up the tower.

mcs071.jpg

Not all people get out alive... tooooooo bad. ;)

mcs072.jpg

Looking down into the concourse.

mcs074.jpg

Roof of the concourse.

mcs075.jpg

Windows without glass.

mcs076.jpg

Those are some really nice shelves there.

mcs077.jpg

Hallway

mcs078.jpg

Thermal Window.

This part of the tour will have a few more photos added, but I won't post them until this thread dumps onto a second page because of loading times.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just going to go ahead and post the remainder of Part III and then move on to Part IV. I'm turning in my computer to get some major upgrades done on it, so I won't be able to post more tours.

Really, there were only a few more images. I just couldn't stick them in my first post because of image limits.

mcs079.jpg

This is perhaps the only stairway in the building that still has railings.

mcs080.jpg

There's attention to detail everywhere.

mcs081.jpg

I'm not going up there again!

mcs082.jpg

The placement of walls is strange on many of the floors. I'm wondering if there was cheap partitions seperating the rooms that have since been removed when the station was initially cleaned out.

mcs083.jpg

Rooms on the east side of the building.

mcs084.jpg

A lot of the damage seen in MCS looks worse than it really is. When all the plaster, wood flooring, light fixtures, and broken windows are gone, you have this. Seems like an easy renovation to me. Unfortunately, few floors look as clean as this.

mcs085.jpg

Random graffiti.

You should expect part IV a few hours after this. I need to get a lot of stuff cleaned off my computer since I plan to have the hard drive reimaged, so the computer is like brand new. :)

Archived