Fulton appeals Census estimates

paulblackgsx

"Fulton County is challenging the U.S. Census Bureau's 2004 estimate, arguing that the bureau undercounted its population by 90,644 people.

The bureau's count came in at 814,438. The county says it should be 905,082."

Here is a link to the complete article. AJC requires you to register.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atl...5/25census.html

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the article:

Fulton County is challenging the U.S. Census Bureau's 2004 estimate, arguing that the bureau undercounted its population by 90,644 people.

The bureau's count came in at 814,438. The county says it should be 905,082.

Also.....

Fulton has a lot riding on its challenge: The federal government funds a variety of county and city programs based on the Census Bureau's estimates, including those related to public health, child support and public safety.

Wow, I didn't know that formulas for such programs were based on estimates. I learn something new almost every day. I guess I can see why including 90,644 people is so important. Good luck I suppose.

^ Well of course population estimates are based on formulic estimates ;)

But the problem with the census bureau estimates is that they are based on summarized permit data per zip code. With that, many zip codes overlap county boundaries - so when that occurs the county with the higher growth rate receives the bulk of that data. Additionally, Fulton Co's demographer claims that college students were undercounted b/c of the lack of income tax returns - another data source included. ARC's demographer has a population halfway between the census & Fulton Co - I'll usually go with the ARC.

Speaking of which - their population estimate for the City of Atlanta is now over 440k, with a gain of nearly 8k. We're on track for a 2010 population of around 475k.

^ So let me get this straight. Zip code 30097 is in Fulton, Forsyth and Gwinnett counties. A large majority of it is in Fulton I would wager. In this case, does your explaination mean that Gwinnett or possibly Forsyth would get the numerical data? Oddly enough zip codes 30004 and 30005 (Alpharetta) also overlap into Forsyth County. One the southside, zip code 30213 in southern Fulton County goes into Fayette County.....while the Fulton County portion of is growing, Fayette as a whole has a higher growth rate so it get's their population numbers? That's terribly deceptive wouldn't you agree?

Maybe I'm not understanding your explaination correctly. It's not you hun.....it's me. :blush:

^ So let me get this straight. Zip code 30097 is in Fulton, Forsyth and Gwinnett counties. A large majority of it is in Fulton I would wager. In this case, does your explaination mean that Gwinnett or possibly Forsyth would get the numerical data? Oddly enough zip codes 30004 and 30005 (Alpharetta) also overlap into Forsyth County. One the southside, zip code 30213 in southern Fulton County goes into Fayette County.....while the Fulton County portion of is growing, Fayette as a whole has a higher growth rate so it get's their population numbers? That's terribly deceptive wouldn't you agree?

Maybe I'm not understanding your explaination correctly. It's not you hun.....it's me.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually you are right. That is how they geocode these permit locations for the estimates. Which is very unfortunate - b/c as estimates the numbers aren't too terrible, but b/c these estimates are used for funding purposes, it is a travesty.

Actually you are right.  That is how they geocode these permit locations for the estimates.  Which is very unfortunate - b/c as estimates the numbers aren't too terrible, but b/c these estimates are used for funding purposes, it is a travesty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it is quite a travesty.

Fulton has the unfortunate position to be surrounded by counties with even higher growth rates than it. If one examines the zip codes I listed, ( I know that many people can't recite zip codes of counties form heart as I did) they will see that growth of some substantial nature occured in them. I would especially note 30005 and 30004 in north Fulton and 30213 in south Fulton. Unfortunately because of how these zips are situated, their growth numbers will go to the neighboring counties.

Perhaps Fulton does in fact have over 900,000 people. :huh:

I'm actually a little shocked that Fulton believes the census correction needs to be ~90,000.  That's almost double the what the ARC thought last year.  Maybe Fulton is asking for the world hoping to settle to a more realistic number.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They truly feel that there are a huge amount of college students that are undercounted - again, it's a big stretch.

Archived