StarMetro

Florida

StarMetro: The New Direction of Mass Transit in Tallahassee

newbus.jpg

The City of Tallahassee announced the launch of StarMetro, a new, high-quality mass transportation service, at this afternoon's City Commission meeting. StarMetro is the new direction for Tallahassee mass transit. Starting with a new name, logo and bus design, the reinvented transit system will provide customers with expanded service, updated amenities and improved technology over the next two years.

"We are excited about the future of Tallahassee's mass transit system," said Ronald L. Garrison, executive director of StarMetro. "By achieving the highest level of transit excellence, we will best serve the transportation needs of our customers."

At the City Commission meeting, StarMetro leadership outlined the six points of the Renaissance Plan, which describes the transit reinvention in detail. StarMetro will focus on the following key areas: Communications, Technology, Service, Amenities, Revenue Opportunities and Excellence. Highlights of the proposed enhancements include:

Advanced Farebox system for customers to use "swipe cards"

Wireless Internet (Wi-Fi) access on buses and transit shelters

Driver training simulator

On-board bus televisions

Three new routes including one limited service route to SouthWood

C.K. Steele Plaza redesign

Solar lighted transit shelters

The StarMetro branding initiatives will provide a fresh perspective of Tallahassee's mass transit system. In the upcoming months, the new StarMetro logo will be visible on transit vehicles, C.K. Steele Plaza, satellite transfer centers, bus stop signs and drivers' uniforms

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should remove all of our old signs, and change them to look like this:

TaltranSign.jpg

that way everyone waiting at a bus stop will have some type of idea where they are going. This is just my prototype for a sign, the actual details are not here in this one, but I think on our future signs we should include bus numbers, route numbers, hours of operation, and duration between each pickup. Phone numbers and such should also be included.

What we truly need for taltran is an overhaul....

We need 3 more transfer stattion atleast!

We need one on the north side of town around killearn.

One on the South Side

One out by southwood.

The feeling i get from the bus system is people who cant afford to drive ride them, but in other cities mainstream people take mass transit.... If we made more transfer stations... and had better routes going through the north of town and everywhere else.. more people would ride.

A study was done about 2 years ago, which held some interesting information. The more affluent, or as some like to call "main stream" ( I don't like that term, it makes it seem as if the poor are sub-stream, or inferior because they have less) people living in North Eastern Tallahassee and in the more privledged areas, would rather continue to support TalTran with their dollars, but not with their ridership. The conclusion was, "they love their cars". But I'm sure, if you gave "them" a light rail to ride down Thomasville Road into downtown, "they" would hop on that concept very quickly. Its not that "they" don't like the bus in my opinion, its just that they don't want to share transportation with those in a "lower" social class.

Its sad, but that's how the world works. These people's only bus riding experiences are probably on FSU Gameday, from the Civic Center to the Stadium with their buddies.

I think we should remove all of our old signs, and change them to look like this:

TaltranSign.jpg

that way everyone waiting at a bus stop will have some type of idea where they are going. This is just my prototype for a sign, the actual details are not here in this one, but I think on our future signs we should include bus numbers, route numbers, hours of operation, and duration between each pickup. Phone numbers and such should also be included.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

great sign. Has my vote.

TV's at bus stops will become an awsome way to incorporate more media into our routines ;)... And certainly not too far in the future!

The increased area of the transit with substations is a step in the right direction. I think the DT location is ok... but a SW and Thomasville/I10 area substation would be helpful to increase effeciency.

The city's budget looked like it included extra money for taltran... was that for improvement or cost of operation increases?

Answer me this:

Why on campus do bus drivers feel the need to stop their buses at University Center B and just sit there for 5 minutes? Is this to slow down and "catch-up" on their timed routes . . . putting distance between them and whatever bus might be ahead of them? Or, are they just trying to anger us students by making us all 5 minutes late for class?

I still haven't figured that one out.

I am also suprised that they do not "advertise" their bus routes more. I refuse to use the buses except on campus because I simply cannot understand how to get from FSU to my house . . . guess I'm a little slow.

OMG!! :w00t: You noticed that too! Every morning I walk to University Center B from my apartment, just across the street to catch the Garnet or Gold to my 8:30 class on time. Everyday I get there, there is atleast one bus, usually two, just sitting with the door open and NO BUS DRIVER!

WHERE IS THE BUS DRIVER? WHO'S DRIVIN THE BUS!

5-10 minutes later I look around to see a face with some creased blue pants with a lighter blue stripe down the side of the leg pulling his pants up as he makes his approach to the bus. Was he taking a leak or trying to get a good seat for the next football game?

Stay on the DERN BUS -- BUS DRIVER!!

• 2 weeks later...

Taltran totally Sucks!! needs an overhaul

We are so late for everything... look, im so happy that we started advertising on our city busses, cause that hasnt been done for the last 30 years in other cities.

Also are cabs..... We finally have the triangle add things on top of the cabs..... those have been around for 50 years, also

I think new york city has digital add signs now....

weak tally weak

Plus, the Busses do not go anywhere!!!!

We need routes out of the city limits... we need it to service wakulla county and jefferson,, all they need to do is subsidize taltran, and we will have a regional transit system....

I need to be on the city and coutnry commision

Well I agree that the buses should run outside the Urban Service area a bit, but I don't agree with them leaving Tallahassee.

I also don't agree that we are behind with regard to bus advertising. Its not a decision that was made with ease. This issue has come before the City of Tallahassee on numerous occasions, and it has always been voted down because Bus ads are seen as unattractive to many. However, our need for dollars, outweighs our desire to maintain our bus uniformity, therefore we now advertise.

The TalTran Renissance will be published soon, with all of the plans laid out for how the new director plans to transform our bus system. Currenly over 12,000 passengers a day ride TalTran, I expect with rising fuel cost, and increased urbanization, that number could more than double by this time next year. Yes something needs to be done.

Do you ride the bus Preludish?

If u (dush) were a commissioner, I will lose faith in the system. There are so many things in ur comments that sound like soup box screaming rather than meditated conclusions to either problems or ideas.

Taltran is cute... needs to grow, but the regional issues will Not be solved by taltran. Those individuals who cannot find the means to commute into tallahassee from our great nieghbors, need to move into tallahassee and ride the bus.

Also, the cost impact of the recently allowed buside advertising is much greater inregards to the rising fuel costs now, compared to the profiting that would have happened from the advertising, say, in the early 90's. Now is a good time.

I too am excited to read this so called "reneissance" report. will be nice to see a fleet of alternate Fuel bussess! we can do it! He seems to have the ambitions (and ps.. that is what i call a "good" idea)

Archived