Hoffler Tower

krdarden

Hey Vdogg, in today's paper there is mention of a proposed tower near Church st. and Brambleton! Is this a new project or am I confusing this with another proposed 20 story tower near Brambleton by the old YMCA?

If this is a new tower, this indeed will help push development toward NSU and the RISE center. Is this perhaps the florida developer that we have been hearing rumors about for so long? Anyways, this is great news for downtown and will only serve notice for the rest country as to how hot this market is. By the way, the developer is another black investor which could signal a potential niche for marketing that area of downtown. I really excited over the prospects for the downtown plaza and the area near the bus station for new development/redevelopment. Keep up the good work!

edit: removed question mark :D

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Vdogg, in today's paper there is mention of a proposed tower near Church st. and Brambleton! Is this a new project or am I confusing this with another proposed 20 story tower near Brambleton by the old YMCA?

If this is a new tower, this indeed will help push development toward NSU and the RISE center. Is this perhaps the florida developer that we have been hearing rumors about for so long? Anyways, this is great news for downtown and will only serve notice for the rest country as to how hot this market is. By the way, the developer is another black investor which could signal a potential niche for marketing that area of downtown. I really excited over the prospects for the downtown plaza and the area near the bus station for new development/redevelopment. Keep up the good work!

Actually KR, we broke news of a possible tower in that location months ago in the Norfolk development thread :D . This is brand spanking new and when I find the orginial post which I believe was back in June i'll link to it.

:)

This tower was originally only supposed to be 11 stories.

City Councilman Paul R. Riddick said the proposal is important because Hoffler would be the first black businessman to invest in a big way in the hot downtown residential market.

Riddick went on to say he was glad to see one of his "homies" do his thang in an industry that is filled with nuttin but "crackers" and "white rednecks". He also said that he was tired of seeing all the "crackers" makin all da loot and holdin all the brothas dizzown. :rofl:

Maybe I shouldn't joke like that, he might try and run me over with his car.

Riddick went on to say he was glad to see one of his "homies" do his thang in an industry that is filled with nuttin but "crackers" and "white rednecks". He also said that he was tired of seeing all the "crackers" makin all da loot and holdin all the brothas dizzown. :rofl:

Maybe I shouldn't joke like that, he might try and run me over with his car.

Yeah this guy can at times be a bit Riddick-ulous! :rofl:

Great news. This is just another sign that Norfolk is doing something right and developers are taking notice of that. Its about time the boundaries of downtown expand. Yet another project to look forward to.

I foresee a day when all of Brambleton from St. Pauls down to Fort Norfolk is lined with apartment, condo, and mixed use towers. It'll be quite a sight to see. :) Also, demand must be pretty high still seeing as this project went from 11 stories to 20 in the span of a month.

150 condos on 20 floors? isn't that a small footprint? good news though!

Condos, office and retail. Not sure the exact mix but all 3 components will be involved and from my understanding I believe the condos will actually be apartments. You also have to take the parking garage into account. That makes a total of 8 (or 9 if counting the forty-story rumored one) towers proposed or under construction this year. Prior to this I think downtown only had about 9 major towers to begin with. We will effectively double the size of our downtown in the span of 2 years. I've updated the Norfolk projects listing with the site plan but keep in mind most of the info listed was when this project was still 11 stories, so the makeup has most likely changed.

I was going to comment on what they were going to do with those housing projects with expensive apts. going up right in the middle of them. Not to many well to do people would move in there unless they are planning on bulldozing it. I too wonder were are they planning on putting all of those people. There is thousands of people in those two housing projects. Are they going to build new housing projects for them? I hope they don't leave them out to dry. I've heard, I think it was two years ago, that Calvert Square was on the boards to be destroyed just like Bowling Park and Roberts Park. I would like to see a rendering of this building but I am stoked about this. I hope that this is a catalyst for that section of the future DT section. I was wondering if that rumor of a florida developer wanting to build in Norfolk was true. I was beginning to think it was just like the rumored 35-40 story office tower. Now I feel maybe the rumored 35-40 story office tower might not just be a rumor now with this development coming to frutation

What will Norfolk do, if anything, about these displaced areas? Highrise Housing Projects???

The days of highrise housing projects died when Chicago tore down Cabrini Greens. Tidewater Gardens may just be replaced with small rent-controlled single-fam homes: the new trend in housing projects.

Archived