801 Ionia Renovation

gvsusean

GRAND RAPIDS -- Founders Brewing Co. may have a new home just a few blocks from its current downtown brewery and tap room if a developer's plan to redevelop a decrepit industrial site goes through.

Irish Twins LLC, a partnership between brothers Jack and Rob Buchanan, is planning a $7.5 million project to clean up, rehabilitate and add on to the former Imperial Metal Products Co. building, 801 Ionia Ave. NW, for the brewery and new office space.

Imperial moved to 835 Hall St. SW in 2000.

Advertisement

From the GR Press:

"The larger home for Founders is at the center of the plan, which features an outdoor beer garden and additional brewing and storage space.

Founders expects to buy the space it would occupy, moving out of the Brass Works building, 648 Monroe Ave. NW, where brewery President Mike Stevens said he has run out of space.

The brewery plans to triple capacity from 4,000 to 12,000 barrels to meet demand for its unique brands of stout and ale such as Dirty beotch, Imperial Stout and Centennial IPA.

"I'm getting calls from 12 states around the country pursuing distribution and I'm just turning everyone down left and right," Stevens said.

A new tap room would be double the size of the existing bar at Brass Works.

The new location will preserve the casual atmosphere at the brewery, where patrons have been allowed to bring in their own food and toss peanut shells on the floor, Stevens said. While a small kitchen will be included in the new brewery, running a restaurant will not be an emphasis."

HAHAHA I called it. Damn I must be psychic. ( refereing to the "Your Bar" thread)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's an article in the Business Journal about the renovations to the Imperial Metals buiding where this is located, and how Jack and Rob Buchanan want to try and emulate the "raw industrial" feel of Chelsea Market in New York. They plan to have other tenants besides Founders. I've never been, but I did find some pictures of Chelsea Market:

chelsea-market.jpg

Chelsea_Mkt_4256.jpg

25074043_a7d80520fa_o.jpg

nyfoodmarket.jpg

Niiice! :D

Here's some more:

http://images.google.com/images?q=chelsea+...G=Search+Images

BTW: Jack and Rob Buchanan were quick to point out this will NOT be a market, but they have gotten calls from potential office tenants, probably more like this part of Chelsea Market:

020AF20010524A0006.jpg

Here's the article: http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...4-30BCC88123DB}

Just someone promise me that Monroe North will not get some kooky nickname like MoNo (NoDa, SoHo and so forth), lol.

• 4 months later...

BTW: Jack and Rob Buchanan were quick to point out this will NOT be a market, but they have gotten calls from potential office tenants, probably more like this part of Chelsea Market:

020AF20010524A0006.jpg

Here's the article: http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...4-30BCC88123DB}

Just someone promise me that Monroe North will not get some kooky nickname like MoNo (NoDa, SoHo and so forth), lol.

I was at the Chelsea Market in January and even went on the tour. The Food Network is now located there too. Anyway, the market open 7 days a week and there is seafood shop, butcher, bakeries, specialty food shops, spice shop, produce store/grocery, etc, and the public shops there but also so do all the area restaurants (which is key to their survival). Loved it and would love to see it in grand rapids. Or to see this as an addition to the Farmers Market. Maybe it could even have a cooking school like the Chopping Block in Chicago.

Sorry off topic.

• 4 months later...

A Does anyone know when they are actually moving?

Yes and no. They have long since maxed out capacity at the current location and they're only able to fill maybe 1/3 of their orders for bottled product right now. As Dave (VP) explained to me, if they don't move now and take advantage of the market, they'll never get another chance. Last I knew they were shooting for a late summer-early fall opening, but personally, I doubt they will be moved that soon. Pretty exciting to see our local brewery explode on the nationwide craft beer scene like this. Move over, Bell's!

Pretty exciting to see our local brewery explode on the nationwide craft beer scene like this. Move over, Bell's!

I surprisingly found Founders at an obscure fish smokehouse in Bellaire (Near Shanty Creek). It's pretty much a deli built into the back of someone's house with fresh seafood and steaks. I was (happily) floored!

• 1 month later...

Archived