Brand Atlanta

ironchapman

Most of you who post here have probably already heard about the "Brand Atlanta" campaign that Mayor Franklin has been working on.

What is "Brand Atlanta"?

The "Brand Atlanta" campaign is a campaign by the mayor and other important Atlantans to give the city a new identity and image and to keep the city "fresh" with the times. It's pretty much a marketing tool to make people think of Atlanta as a "fresh" and up-to-date place with the times. A "cool" place to be for living, visiting, and doing business.

A Brand Atlanta website "atlopen.com"

What brings this initative to my attention is the fact that the mayor has just recently unveiled a new city logo, website, and a community mobilization campaign. More components of the campaign will be revealed over the next four weeks.

For more info, read here: "Mayor Franklin Announces Brand Atlanta Campaign Rollout' (Yahoo! News release)

Any thoughts on the campaign?

I personally like the idea behind it, but I just hope they can pull it off correctly.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta's new anthem was unveiled last night. The new anthem is called "The ATL". It was played by Dallas Austin. He and Mayor Franklin will be going on radio stations to promote it in hopes that it might even make it high up on the charts.

Any thoughts on it? Did it come out too cheesy, or was it perhaps pretty good?

The AJC Article

And on a side note, Cingular Wireless customers will be able to get a ringtone of it soon for $2.49. The full version of it will be availiable soon on ATLopen.com.

Atlanta's new anthem was unveiled last night. The new anthem is called "The ATL". It was played by Dallas Austin. He and Mayor Franklin will be going on radio stations to promote it in hopes that it might even make it high up on the charts.

Any thoughts on it? Did it come out too cheesy, or was it perhaps pretty good?

The AJC Article

And on a side note, Cingular Wireless customers will be able to get a ringtone of it soon for $2.49. The full version of it will be availiable soon on ATLopen.com.

I didn't watch it and I didn't hear the song but I was quite disappointed while listening to talk radio this morning. On 640 am they were talking about it and I was a little shocked at the negative response from most of the callers. Not because they didn't like the song, but the reasons they were giving was that it "wasn't inclusive" and "too hip-hop". Basically I got the feeling that people practically took offense to the fact that it was a "black" song and I really got a sense of the underlying racial polarization from many suburbanites. I'm sure thats the case within parts of the city as well. It makes me think the "openness" here isn't quite what we would like it to be.

Or maybe its just that all of the callers were driving pickup trucks five feet off the ground but it really bothered me.

I didn't watch it and I didn't hear the song but I was quite disappointed while listening to talk radio this morning. On 640 am they were talking about it and I was a little shocked at the negative response from most of the callers. Not because they didn't like the song, but the reasons they were giving was that it "wasn't inclusive" and "too hip-hop". Basically I got the feeling that people practically took offense to the fact that it was a "black" song and I really got a sense of the underlying racial polarization from many suburbanites. I'm sure thats the case within parts of the city as well. It makes me think the "openness" here isn't quite what we would like it to be.

While I do understand what you are saying, many people out there associate Atlanta not only with this culture:

Outkast_calendar.jpg

But also with this culture:

alan%20jackson%20cd.jpg

Now, if only we could combine the two.

The article did say, however, that the song wouldn't be "everyone's cup of Coke".

Outkast did a song with Nora Jones. She's pretty country sounding. It seems a bit cheesy to have an anthem, this reminds of the lame tactics major companies make middle-management do to embarrass themselves, eventually ending in no real pay off. However taking a good stab at branding the city is a good idea. The whole anthem thing just seems a bit overboard and unnecessary.

The city might as well go ahead and use "Welcome to Atlanta" that came out last year or year before that with various hip hop artists from the area (I think the song was produced by Jermaine Dupri).

at least it sounds better.....change some of the lyrics of course.

I personally dont like the song. It reminds me of the silly McDonald's commercials played on the urban radio stations to reach the "hip hop" crowd. Atlanta is too diverse to have just one genre of music to define the city's culture. Even some listeners on v-103 disliked the song.

• 3 weeks later...

Atlanta unveiled a brand new slogan today. It is now "Atlanta: Every day is an opening day".

I don't think it sounds too bad. They might could have done a little better, but at least it sounds somewhat good. Perhaps I'm just being overly cynical about it. I actually think it makes sense with all these projects going up. It seems like the opening day of something in the city is always just around the corner, which, according to the article, is why they picked the slogan in the first place.

See More (AJC)

Archived