The Arlington

monsoon

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!

Those photos are beautiful!

I've seen both (Westin and Arlington) on my many visits to Charlotte and they add so much diversity to the skyline. It's cool that Charlotte has a Portman signature skyscraper (Westin). :D His buildings always stand out. As much as I like the buildings in Uptown (designed to look like art deco towers), I also like the edgy, contemporary, designs too. Charlotte is so open to try new stuff and should design and build stuff that makes visitors and locals alike stop and talk about it. Not walk-by and never notice it. The Arlington forces you to notice it. It has a very strong presence by location, design and materials. Charlotte is starting to build buildings that will make it's skyline stand-out from the crowd and make all skyline fans notice it as a city on the cutting edge of design.

I've seen the view from up there! I would like to have a condo on one of the upper floors with the view I saw last summer! I know someone who has a condo in that building and if your the type who likes to stand-out in a crowd, this is the building for you!

The original designs for the building were very nice looking, especially the 40 story version.

I'm not fond of the pinkness really, but I do admire Mr. Gross's alleged attitude. Story goes that people in the neighborhood didn't want such a tall building, and apparently griped about the revised version... So he made the building more to their liking structurally, but conveniently chose pink glass to accompany the final design. Hehehehe... If that story is true, then Mr. Gross has my respect! That building is like a giant "finger" to all the haters in the neighborhood. :D

That is Great Marc! I've never seen the Arlington in that way before. You know they are planning to redo the outer surface of the 16-story old Wachovia Tower in Greensboro. I here it will be mainly reflective glass like the Arlington but instead of pink it will be green. I'll bet green is gorgeous too during the sunrise and sunset.

norffcarolina, Please don't ever say that again. that man deserves no respect, no matter how crappy the dilworth homeowners were. he is the biggest piece of crap I have ever met, and trust me, I know him quite personally as I was on the homeowners board in the Ivey's building, another one of his projects. I can promise you that the Arlington is a big finger, not only to dilworth, but to the residents of Factory South, which is the warehouse directly behind the Arlington, also a renovated to condos project of Gross's. The residents sued him for breech of contract and not fullfilling his service requirements, and they won, so he built this thing to block the entire building's view of downtown, and made sure not one could see even the tip of the BofA tower.

I just think it is bitter-sweet that more than half the Arlington is still vacant, and I am beginning to wonder if he is going to have to either lower the prices, or convert it to rentals to fill those units. Either way, he should have just scaled down the original design from 40 to 23 stories, it would have been much more appealing!

• 2 months later...

Nice looking building. When it was first completed I thought that it was still under construction becuase it was pink. I thought the pink was just some insulation or something and I kept on wondering when the project was going to be done because it was always pink. LOL. I eventually found out that that was the actual color of the builind though.

I agree with you M. Brown... I had the same feeling. The 40-story rendering is what I was looking for (thanks for posting it, monsoon). When I first saw it my jaw dropped and I was really happy. Too bad they had to scale it down, but even as a 22-story tower, The Arlington is a great addition to Charlotte's skyline. I hope to see the day when NC cities will see great demand for high-rise living and more "Arlingtons" will be built.

• 5 months later...

I subscribe to Money magazine, have for a while but the latest issue features a full page ad for The Arlington in Charlotte! Picture of the building from the ground plus a view of the Charlotte skyline and then another view facing south. I don't have a scanner or else I'd scan it for you, but I just thought it was a bit weird to see it in this publication! Although...maybe it isn't that weird at all being how much banking and investing goes on in Charlotte...after all, it IS Money magazine. :rolleyes:

I guess that means they have quite a few unsold units. I wonder of it will end up being competition for some of the newly announced or planned uptown condo towers.

I have that issue of Money and just saw the ad. It is interesting that they really downplay the outside appearance and pink color and seem to be highlighting the view from the inside (which is really cool). I guess they know their strong and weak selling points :)

(One point of note: sometimes ads in national magazines don't show up across the country, but are specific to the region of the subscription (similar to local ads on TV). Some magazines have a code on the bottom of the page that identifies it as regional advertizing, but Money doesn't seem to have that. I think it is just regional, though, because it is between a Duke ad and a First Citizens Bank ad, and the Wachovia ad nearby only has Carolinas info.)

Ah, I didn't really pay attention to the targeting advertisement of it. I usually skip over ads but this one caught my eye with it being so big and my obvious recognition of "the pink building." I had inquired some time ago as a prospective buyer to see the costs and available units and they sent me a PDF with the info I requested. Here's the link:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/gallery/arlingt...4_pricelist.pdf

Yikes. Do you really think there are that many units left unsold???

Well, I'm sure there aren't as many left unsold now as there were when I inquired back in May of this year, but it's an astounding number of units isn't it?! The prices are a little steep, and I realize it's location and all, but they're a little higher than what I would have expected.

Archived