IC and Centennial Olympic Park

ironchapman

After brunch at the SunDial, my family and I went down to Centennial Olympic Park to walk around. here are some of my pics:

People Relaxing in the Park:

--Notice the Georgia Aquarium, too!

56710791_b06ff2fb98_b.jpg

SunTrust Plaza From a Street Corner Near the Park:

56710792_1bcff8216b_b.jpg

Part of the Skyline:

56710794_1ebb685bee_b.jpg

More of the Skyline:

56710795_517e5f93fc_b.jpg

The Midtown Skyline:

--Notice 1180 Peachtree in the middle!

56710796_0522a5aded_b.jpg

The Reflecting Pool:

56714522_33e80b61f5_b.jpg

The Monument to All Olympic Athletes:

--This serves as a way for visitors to remember the many athletes who have participated in the Olympics.

(R-L): An athlete from the ancient Greek games, an athlete of the first modern games (Athens, 1896), and an athlete from the Centnnial Games (Atlanta, 1996, of course).

56714523_3345d71a15_b.jpg

One of the Park's Many Ponds:

56714525_718ea033b5_b.jpg

56716252_e7904eb119_b.jpg

The Olympic Torch and the Georgia Aquarium:

56714526_1f65eb07c5_b.jpg

The Olympic Rings Fountain:

--Sadly, the fountain has been turned off for the season.

56714527_a3a37a4e20_b.jpg

A Monument to All Those Who Participated in the Centennial Olympic Games:

56714528_db489cf94e_b.jpg

And last, but certainly not least :P .............

Me With the Statue of Pierre, Baron de Coubertin:

--For those who don't know, Pierre Coubertin is considered the father of the modern Olympic Games, as it was he who came up with the idea of holding them again.

Pierre Coubertin on Wikipedia

56710793_e0ea115c7f_b.jpg

Any thoughts? :)

I've got some pics of Atlanta streets that will appear in the photo of the day over the next few days. ;)

EDIT: Don't forget my SunDial photos! Check them out here!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we are on the subject of future photos, do you know where the Flatiron is? I tried to find it so I could take a pic of it when I was in Atlanta to take these, but I could never find it. Where is it?

It's right there at the corner of Peachtree, Luckie and Broad, next to the Equitable Building (which used to be the Piedmont Hotel). You can't miss it.

Nice photos, IC.

Edited to add: While you're at it, IC, you may want to get some photos of the Candler Building, which is just the next block up across the street. Another one of old downtown's Grand Dames.

It's right there at the corner of Peachtree, Luckie and Broad, next to the Equitable Building (which used to be the Piedmont Hotel). You can't miss it.

Nice photos, IC.

Edited to add: While you're at it, IC, you may want to get some photos of the Candler Building, which is just the next block up across the street. Another one of old downtown's Grand Dames.

Thanks for the help!

As for the Candler building, though I intend to get more of it, did you see the pic of it in the Westin Peachtree thread? :)

Thanks for the help!

As for the Candler building, though I intend to get more of it, did you see the pic of it in the Westin Peachtree thread? :)

Ooh, just went back and looked at it, IC -- that's a great shot of the Candler Building. I love your photo of the Equitable Buidling, too! Thirty years ago had we offices on upper floors there. At the time it was one of the tallest buildings in town.

I must say thnks for that comment about the equitable Building. Apparently the way it turned out was something of a fluke. You see, shortly afterwards, the camera almost fell out of my hand, so I was afraid that the picture would come out tilted at some odd angle (I though it happened while taking the picture), but apparently it didn't.

I must say thnks for that comment about the equitable Building. Apparently the way it turned out was something of a fluke. You see, shortly afterwards, the camera almost fell out of my hand, so I was afraid that the picture would come out tilted at some odd angle (I though it happened while taking the picture), but apparently it didn't.

LOL! Well, it turned out well!

You know, back in the those days nobody really gave a toot about "security", so we would occasionally walk from our office up a flight of service stairs and stroll around on the roof. I still think the Equitable Building cuts a very pleasing and not insignificant figure on the downtown skyline.

Looking at those pictures also reminds of when they were building the old Georgia Pacific tower. That pile driving was right outside my window and nearly drove me nuts. Even 25 years later it's still one of Atlanta's more striking buildings in my opinion.

LOL! Well, it turned out well!

You know, back in the those days nobody really gave a toot about "security", so we would occasionally walk from our office up a flight of service stairs and stroll around on the roof. I still think the Equitable Building cuts a very pleasing and not insignificant figure on the downtown skyline.

The Equitable building's not too bad for a box, IMO. The reflective glass and the light-up logo at the top really do make for a nice touch.

The Equitable building's not too bad for a box, IMO. The reflective glass and the light-up logo at the top really do make for a nice touch.
I like the black horizontally-oriented grid as well. The Equitable was done by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and is very similar to the Equitable Building they did in Chicago at about the same time. It's strongly suggestive of the style they subsequently used in the Sears Tower and the John Hancock Center, and is a good example of the skyscraper architecture of that era.

Archived