Verdae Market Fair

perrykat

Since we have been going off subject discussing this center in the Greenridge thread I thought it deserved its own thread. What do you think should be done with it? I'd like to see Michaels move in to the old Marshalls building and maybe something like a Value City in the old Service Merchandise. It's such a nice shopping center, I hate to see it have vacant spaces like it has....I think with ICAR/Verdae going up it will attract more tenants to the shopping center. It really is a nice building.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think the old Service Merchandise location would be a nice location for Publix; however, it will be a few years before there is enough residential growth along Verdae to support a supermarket there.

I'm with you 100% on Michael's moving over to Verdae Market Fair. Perhaps Burlington Coat Factory should consider the move (to the Old Service Merchandise Location) as well? That'd also make a nice location for a DSW Shoe Warehouse as well.

Also maybe an REI would be a nice addition? The Service Merchandise in Cary, NC was turned in to a DSW and I thought it was a nice looking store from the outside (never went in). I'm assuming Stein Mart and Office Depot have no plans to move at the moment?

I think my favorite idea is Burlington in the old SM building. I'd rather them be there than Greenville Mall or the current location, really.

Michael's WAS at Verdae MarketFair when the shopping center first opened.

BTW, Verdae MarketFair has a twin in Spartanburg, between Westgate and downtown. I assume that developers built both centers at the same time. The Spartanburg version is in much worse shape that Verdae MarketFair.

Also, Verdae MarketFair is in a pretty middle- to upper-income area. Maybe a Costco or another discounter that appeals to upper-income people could fit there?

Not sure if there's room FOR a Costco. I think it'd take demolishing the whole center to build one.

How old is Verdae anyway? It's been there since I've lived here which has been a pretty long time....Judging by the age the Michaels building looks it must have been there a LONG time ago.

Agreed. That's precisely why I suggested Publix or DSW.

I think those suggestions are very good.

Verdae MarketFair was built in the late 1980s, at the end of Laurens Road's boom years. It snagged a Service Merchandise from the formerly dumpy shopping center where Bi-Lo is, across from Greenville Tech. It did well for many years.

It still seems to be in good physical shape; I think it will come back to life eventually. At least the developers did better than the ones who did Greenville Mall and Bell Tower Mall, hopefully.

Does Greenville not have a DSW anywhere? I have been to several in the mid-Atlantic and northeast, and they always do great business. Greenville can definitely support one.

It seems like DSW also likes being in lifestyle centers. There is a great one in Pentagon City, right outside DC, that is incorporated into a really neat lifestyle center with shops, apartments, a health club, and a Harris Teeter supermarket. That kind of thing would be great on Laurens, especially since a lot of the old strip mall shopping centers could be purchased for the right price and torn down.

No - there's no DSW in Greenville. We could definitely support one. There all throughout the country. I even noticed one in Colorado Springs on Academy Blvd. last week.

I still have a few good pairs of shoes I bought when I lived in Raleigh a long time ago -- It's a nice store. It could fit in the old Service Merchandise store....I just thought of another store that would be great for the old Marshalls - what about JO-ANN? It'd give Michaels some competition if they stayed where they are.

I'd like the idea of a HD Expo and Bass Pro Shops in the Greenville Mall. Actually at this point I'd like to see ANYTHING in the Greenville Mall!

Somebody said there was a Michaels at Verdae? Where was it? Apparently Marshalls, Stein Mart, S. Merchandise and Office Depot were there....I don't see how there was room. Really I think if they could fill the old Marshalls and Service Merchandise Verdae would be a very nice shopping center! The stores already there are different and unique.

I'd like the idea of a HD Expo and Bass Pro Shops in the Greenville Mall. Actually at this point I'd like to see ANYTHING in the Greenville Mall!

Somebody said there was a Michaels at Verdae? Where was it? Apparently Marshalls, Stein Mart, S. Merchandise and Office Depot were there....I don't see how there was room. Really I think if they could fill the old Marshalls and Service Merchandise Verdae would be a very nice shopping center! The stores already there are different and unique.

Michaels used to be where the Card Factory Outlet is located until Circuit City moved and they took their place down the road.

• 1 month later...

A well-informed friend that works in real estate around here told me that Palmetto Home and Garden has been showing interest in the Service Merchandise building again recently. Also he said that Steve and Barry's University Sportswear was looking at the area last month, which would be a great fit for the former Marshall's. Just wishful thinking I guess. I DO hope we can get Steve and Barry's around here eventually. The area is middle-to-upper income, so PH/G would be a GREAT store for Verdae, but it'd be a step down in size. ;)

I would hope that Palmetto Home & Garden stays in the building at Greenville Mall even once the mall is demolished. I went in PH&G for the first time this past week. They did a great job with the store. :thumbsup: I found it nice that's it's a unique South Carolina store as opposed to mass big box chains. Hope it stays and the new development works around it.

This is just speculation, but my guess is that PH&G's rent is way below market. If that is the case, I don't see the new mall owners going out of their way to keep them at the location, my guess is that would not be able to afford market rate at a new lifestyle center for a space that large, but I may be wrong. And even though new owners would have to honor their lease, it may be more profitable for them in the long run to buy them out of it so that they can redevelop the entire site.

I really don't see Palmetto staying - If the mall was giving stores like Eddie Bauer low to free rent to get them to stay, I'm sure PH&G is paying low or maybe even free rent as well. They were probably just glad to fill the space. The rent would probably be a LOT more with the new development - it may be way out of their ballgame, I don't know. That's a nice building they're in though, I would hate to see it demolished. Parisian/Urban Retail (or whoever paid for that building) put a TON of money in it.

• 3 months later...

As posted elsewhere (not by me), this new anchor is coming to Verdae MarketFair. I had never gone in this store, having walked by it plenty of times on 42nd Street, but it sounds great. Hopefully the start of a rebound for Laurens Road, and definitely good news!

http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/sct0406/retail_kandg.php

YAY! ANything is welcome. Well, maybe not more check cashing places that are bright yellow and red... But this is reassureing to hear for sure. Big things are sure to come.

This is great news! It's great to see Verdae adding a new tenant. Especially filling up that old Service Merchandise, I think it's been vacant for 5 or 6 years! This is definately a plus for that center AND Laurens Rd.

I'm assuming there are no plans for Stein Mart or Office Depot to move, are there? Their locations at VMF seem to do pretty good business.

Archived