South Elm Street Redevelopment

Beany

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I see the plan includes a downtown grocery store. Looks like that may happen sooner that we thought. Its good that the old Daily Bread Flour Mill will be reused for residential. That building was built in 1910. Hopefully they will keep the grain silos. It will be an interesting project. The concept drawings show a 10-story condo tower and hopefully that will happen. :yahoo:

Actually this development is downtown but it will be on the southern boundary and include land currently not in the central business district. they plan to expand the central business district southward making downtown bigger. This condo tower if built would do little for Greensboro's skyline because Greensboror's skyline is more towards the north end of downtown. But over time, alot of towers could fill in the gap, :) The vision renderings show a 10-story tower. It should be a nice landmark for the southern end of downtown.

here is the link to the article South Elm grocery and tower

I think that is a great location for a grocery store. It will be downtown but still convenient to a lot of people who live outside of downtown that are currently under-served. Also, a grocery store at Bellemeade project would be good.

Wo do you think might occupy it? I would guess Harris Teeter for Bellmeade and Maybe South Elm.

As far as I know, it will also be the first full scale downtown supermarket in North Carolina. I do think the over all plan is great but there needs to be an attraction like a movie theater or something.

Doesn't Charlotte have a downtown Harris Teeter off of Trade that is full service?

I think it will be nice for the residents to be able to walk to the store when they need to go. I'm curious to what store brand it will be. Are the demogarphics of this area right for Harris Teeter? I'd like to see a local chain such as the Fresh Market.

While the Fresh Market is cool, I think the area wants a regular grocer as opposed to a specialty grocery store first. As far as the demos, you could be right (See below)

I would guess Food Lion for S. Elm and Harris Teeter at Bellemeade.

I know Harris Teeter is looking for a downtown location. You could be right, it will probably be Bellmeade instead for HT and Food Lion for S Elm.

Archived