DT Greensboro Getting A New Hotel!

Hotlanta

I just read in the Triad Business Journal that Greenville S.C. developers are looking to purchase land in downtown Greensboro for a new hotel that would have almost 120 rooms. I think this is great but I think G'boro should lean more toward business hotels and less from typical suburban hotels. I'm thinking a Wingate Inn or other for this area. What do you think?

Full Story

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very nice addiion to downtown. you know downtown is really turning around when you hear the announcement of a new hotel. The size of the parcel will determine the height of the building. Hopefully its at least 9 stories. But there will need to be enough land to accomidate 100 plus parking spaces so it just might be a small highrise.

After looking at the parcel on Virtual Earth, I'm guessing that it will at least 4-5 stories tall and probably have parking underneath the building.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...9&scene=1581814

I'm hopeful that this will help spur development along this section of Greene St. As you can tell from the link I just posted, every corner of that intersection (soon to be roundabout) is currently a surface lot.

According to the N&R today the hotel property will abut the Foundation Building at 330 S. Greene. So it looks like it will be at the NE corner of Greene and McGee. I would guess it would have to be at least six stories to accomodate 120 rooms and parking. That parcel of land is not especially large as you can see from the virtual earth picture.

I like the design of the Greenville hotel. If it looks similar to that I think it will look good in that part of DT.

The Geenville hotel is 8 stories and has 115 rroms. Greensboro proposed hote (Hampton Inn Suites?) will have 120 rooms so its likely this could be something like an 8 story midrise, and if the rooms aree stacked above parking, it could be talller. I think that parcel is kinda small.

Twin City, downtown currently has two hotels, 3 if you count the cheap run down motel on the northeast part of downtown. The two hotela are The Marriott and The Biltmore Greensboro Hotel. The is a boutique hotel proposed for the Bellemeade Village project next to the ballpark so this makes two hotel proposal for downtown. Greensboro had 3 other hotels downtown that im aware of. The origional 8-story O'Henry Hotel and 13-story King Cotton Hotel which were both demolished in the 70s and early 80s. The Carolina Hotel stands across the corner form the proposed Hampton Inn Suites but its not a hotel anymore. Its now part of the Smother Place Lofts condos. The landscape should be nice because at the intersection where the hotel is proposed, there will be a roundabout (traffic circle).

I think it will be interesting to see what the design of the hotel will look like. Technically the site is in the Old Greensborough district and is located a few buildings south of the Carolina Theatre and a block west of Natty Greene's restaurant and Micro Brewery on South Elm Street. Will they go for something thats very modern in design, or something that resmbles the late 19th/early 20th century archictecture in Old Greensboro. Or maybe even a combination.

I think it will be interesting to see what the design of the hotel will look like. Technically the site is in the Old Greensborough district and is located a few buildings south of the Carolina Theatre and a block west of Natty Greene's restaurant and Micro Brewery on South Elm Street. Will they go for something thats very modern in design, or something that resmbles the late 19th/early 20th century archictecture in Old Greensboro. Or maybe even a combination.

That would be nice and very interesting!

• 6 months later...

A Greenville, SC developer who proposed a Hampton Inn Suites Hotel in downtown Greensboro has put his project on hold. Mainly its a parking issue. Because of the lot's size, the hotel would require a 2 story parking deck to accomadate 120 plus cars. The economics doesnt work for the developer if he has to build a deck. He may ask the city for help. But hopefully something will save the project.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/608130311

I think it will happen. I think as dt continues to blossom the demand will continue to grow for more hotels.

The key for more hotels downtown are tourist attraction and convention business. We need more attractions downtown such as the International Civil Rights Museum and the ACC Hall of Fame. As for conventions, thats kinda tricky becasue we already have the Koury Convention and Greensboro Coliseum Complex and both are not downtown. Any major convention facilty would compete with those two facilites and the Greensboro market is not ready for another major convention facilty. But eventually more hotels will be built downtown. If the Hamton gets built I do hope they stack the hotel atop the parking deck making it 8-stories tall instead of 6. The taller the better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Greenville, SC developer has abandoned plans for a 6 story downtown hotel at the corner of McGee and Greene Street in the south end of downtown. However its not becasue downtown isnt ready for another hotel, its because the developer couldnt make it finanicialy feasible because he need a parking structure next to the hotel with the lot being so small. I guess the city didnt want to build a parking deck on the site. But he did say "If a site presented itself that was affordable and we didn’t have to construct our own parking deck or garage, we would be interested again."

However its not totally bad news. The owner of the property wants to build a 4-story office retail building on the site with a Mellow Mushroom restaurant on the ground level. "We are still negotiating terms, but that is the site we have identified," said Jim Waters, who owns the Mellow Mushroom at 314 W. Fourth St. in Winston-Salem with his wife, Cindy. "We are working toward making it happen."

The Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro will be one of the chain's largest restaurants. The restaurant will be 7,000 sqaure feet making it the largest restaurant in downtown Greensboro.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/61212016

It is sad that the hotel won't be built. It was a great location! It does appear that they may be interested in doing something in the future. I wonder if they approached the city about a joint venture for the parking deck?

I'm glad to see that Lomax and his gang are planning a mixed use project there. But guys, you could add at least a couple more floors!! In Charlotte, 1.5 acers gets you at 50 story office tower! I know this is not practical in this case. However, I do wish developers would start thinking a bit above the old Greensboro

standard of 4-5 stories. This is prime real estate in our center city! To use it for anything other than its

full potential is wrong! Maybe the issue goes back to available parking in the area.

It is sad that the hotel won't be built. It was a great location! It does appear that they may be interested in doing something in the future. I wonder if they approached the city about a joint venture for the parking deck?

I'm glad to see that Lomax and his gang are planning a mixed use project there. But guys, you could add at least a couple more floors!! In Charlotte, 1.5 acers gets you at 50 story office tower! I know this is not practical in this case. However, I do wish developers would start thinking a bit above the old Greensboro

standard of 4-5 stories. This is prime real estate in our center city! To use it for anything other than its

full potential is wrong! Maybe the issue goes back to available parking in the area.

Why must "full potential" be measured in terms of height? If we're talking about creating a vibrant downtown district, truthfully mid-rises lend themselves better to this purpose than high-rises. If anything, this might cause Greensboro's small CBD to expand, and I know there's room for that.

Archived