Japanese Maglev Video

dpbaker

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a company offering a much cheaper and slightly slower MagLev concept. This would only cost $10 million per mile, cheaper than many light rail developments. It would be able to go 250mph and carry a multitude of vehicles, from car "ferries" to public and private passenger vehicles to cargo and ambulance vehicles. They are currently in preliminary planning for a route down Woodward ave in Detroit, this would not cost any cities anything, it would be built and paid for by this company, I'm not sure if that's because this is a pilot or if it's because they plan on doing all business that way. THe great thing is that this system works just well whether its through inner cities or between cities. Check their site out Interstate Traveler Company

Also check this Detroit thread on the project several people went to a presentation by this company and got more info:Interstate Traveler presentation, High tech mass transit for the D

Wow! :w00t: I got an adrenaline rush just watching that thing. :D We have got to get that over here. Talk about blurring the lines between transit and a theme park ride. It simply amazes me how much further advanced technology wise that Japan is compared to us, or the rest of the world for that matter.

The only operational system of this kind is Siemens's Transrapid Maglev system, which is installed between Shanghai, China and its airport. In the meantime it has proved unprofitable and very expensive to maintain.

BTW, several Transrapid routes are considerd in the US (link), including the conversion of the north-east corridor into a Maglev line.

The only operational system of this kind is Siemens's Transrapid Maglev system, which is installed between Shanghai, China and its airport. In the meantime it has proved unprofitable and very expensive to maintain.

I know profitability is definitely an issue. But I think the Japanese can likely make it profitable. At least some of the Shinkansen are, maybe not all, but these higher speed trains could further to take away from air industry competition within Japan (and California for that matter) and relieve some air congestion if the networks were large enough. Time will tell.

Has anyone seen the Exteme Engineering Show on Discovery Channel, where they had a proposal for a Maglev train going from New York to London in less than an hour?!!

Well I guess you wouldn't have too many stopping points. :lol: Sounds pretty expensive though.

Has anyone seen the Exteme Engineering Show on Discovery Channel, where they had a proposal for a Maglev train going from New York to London in less than an hour?!!

I saw that... It looked like they had thought of everything they would need to, but it would be wicked expensive. I'd still like to see it built, though.

The system that was mentioned above in China, and the only operational one built in the world, has proven that maglev is not a viable method of transportation. After the experience with that project, (which the Germans paid for) they have scrapped future plans to built a much more extensive line which the Shanghai airport line was a prototype for. It was a big blow to Siemens and Maglev in general as despite the claims made for it, it is too expensive, carries too few people, uses too much energy, and is too noisy for most environments. The Chinese will be using wheels on rail for future high speed train transit.

BTW, the next generation of Shinkanzen in Japan is not Maglev either.

The technology really is amazing, but are the economics? What does this cost per passenger mile? And how much juice does it take to make it run? What is its fule efficiency compaired to an airplane? Does anyone have a CREDITABLE source?

Excellent questions. Unfortunately, I don't even have poor answers!! :(

• 4 weeks later...

Archived