Grand Rapids Auto Parts Site

GRDadof3

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say it ain't so!!! I don't understand, with a chance to build something decent and unique, why just build what is everywhere? I know it's probably the cost and the knowledge that people will flock the familiar, but I thought a couple of years back there was talk about a master plan for the city and part of the master plan was to build things with an "urban feel";ie close to the road, de-emphasis on parking, etc, or was this just a guildline to follow if developers want to, or did it only apply to certain areas of the city?

What on Earth ?!?!?!!? I hope this garbage did or does not get approved. What goes through these developers when they come up with this tripe?!

Oooooooh, lets put in some ugly buildings, bright signs on sticks, and over 300 parking spaces. Now where do I pick up my check?

Stuff like this make me want to rip my hair out! This is nothing but a automobile centered disaster.

This street is still very industrial, I wonder how a hotel will fit into the mix. It looks like they are doing the same thing the developer of the Duba's site is doing - Capitalizing on a gateway location a few miles from downtown, but not having to pay downtown prices or have downtown restrictions. Plenty of surface parking readily available, and more than likely a generic suburban design. The real shame is that it will add to the inventory of hotel rooms in the area, and reduce the need for additional rooms downtown.

This street is still very industrial, I wonder how a hotel will fit into the mix. It looks like they are doing the same thing the developer of the Duba's site is doing - Capitalizing on a gateway location a few miles from downtown, but not having to pay downtown prices or have downtown restrictions. Plenty of surface parking readily available, and more than likely a generic suburban design. The real shame is that it will add to the inventory of hotel rooms in the area, and reduce the need for additional rooms downtown.

Why bother with all those expensive buildings, just put up a screen and make it the largest Drive in the world. :sick:

I think if this guy makes the development more urban by pushing the buildings out to the street like I suggested it will encourage the eventual conversion of some of the older industrial facilities. After that happens, the sea of parking behind his hotel and restaurants would be a great spot for height. It would be surrounded by this development and 131, and after a few stories the building would have a great view of the river. This might be a little forward thinking, but hey, why not throw an idea out there :P ?

Grand Rapids Auto Parts sponsored my Norhtern Little League team when I was kid. We played down at Riverside park. Most of my first car in high school was pieced together from parts from there.

Welcome, grandrollerz. Aaahhh, the good old days. When you could piece together a car with spare parts from the junkyard. Not able to do that anymore with today's vehicles. :cry:

I think the reason this development is going to include things like a hotel and restaraunt is due to two factors.

Hotels and restaraunts need good visability, that stretch of 131 is the most heavily traveled area in the city; something like 115,000 cars per day.

Also, I believe everyone who goes to the Deltaplex exits 131 at Ann street, so this gives out-of-towners a place to stay and restaraunts at which to eat.

I think the reason this development is going to include things like a hotel and restaraunt is due to two factors.

Hotels and restaraunts need good visability, that stretch of 131 is the most heavily traveled area in the city; something like 115,000 cars per day.

Also, I believe everyone who goes to the Deltaplex exits 131 at Ann street, so this gives out-of-towners a place to stay and restaraunts at which to eat.

Speaking of this being a development for the DeltaPlex, a large chunk of land was recently cleared across the street. It's along West River Dr. at the bend in the road that wraps around the huge parking lot. I was wondering if we would see any development, like restaurants or hotels, for the events at the DeltaPlex, as it is surrounded just by homes and warehouses now.

Well this development got approval from the planning commision for a PRD (planned redevelopment district) with a height not to exceed 75' for the hotel. Well see what happens with this, they still need to get the site decleared as a brownfield site for this to make sense. The Right Place Inc. was quite supportive of this development mainly because they are pushing for redevelopment of this entire area. I think mainly because of the proximity to the old Lear / GM Plant.

Well this development got approval from the planning commision for a PRD (planned redevelopment district) with a height not to exceed 75' for the hotel. Well see what happens with this, they still need to get the site decleared as a brownfield site for this to make sense. The Right Place Inc. was quite supportive of this development mainly because they are pushing for redevelopment of this entire area. I think mainly because of the proximity to the old Lear / GM Plant.

I wonder how much the ground contamination is going to affect the outcome. After being a junkyard for so long, it's got to be quite contaminated.

These may answer some of your questions Prankster :thumbsup:

They are going to have their hands full on this one. After a history of auto salvage and landfill on the property, someone is going to spend a lot of money cleaning this one up.

It is nice to see some more redevelopment in that area. After all of those metal buildings were developed the area became stagnant again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MiBiz Update

http://www.mibiz.com/absolutenm/templates/...=8565&zoneid=32

On Feb. 21 the Grand Rapids City Commission approved the rezoning recommendation for the 8.5 acres from industrial to a planned redevelopment district (PRD). The parcel is located off of U.S. 131 on Ann Street and Turner Avenue. Owners of Grand Rapids Auto Parts Inc. have a conceptual plan for the property and are working with Liberty Realty Corp. to market the land. Target uses include a seven-story hotel, bank/office building, three restaurants and a major gas and convenience store.

The article goes on to say that Rick Chapla from the Right Place is serving as the strategic advisor for the property owners. Not sure what the 'strategic advisor' roll actually is, but I hope he can convince them to use a different site plan than the suburban one that was previously reported.

Archived